Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
Oct 28, 2003 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

scottder

Headphoneus Supremus
Just had a chance to listen to this CD, it's indredible! Funny, being a child of the 80's I associate Herbie Hancock with some weird electrnic music, not Hard-bop Jazz. I think Maiden Voyage is next on my list. Anything else like this out there?

Scott
etysmile.gif

Oct 28, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
I have the box set "The Complete Blue Note 60s Sessions." It is an awesome set and includes interesting alternate takes. There's one on Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=1056

Damn, that looks nice. Wish I wasn't so short on $$$ right now. Oh well, I'll keep an eye out for it anyway. Thanks

Scott

Oct 28, 2003 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Just had a chance to listen to this CD, it's indredible! Funny, being a child of the 80's I associate Herbie Hancock with some weird electrnic music, not Hard-bop Jazz. I think Maiden Voyage is next on my list. Anything else like this out there?

Scott
etysmile.gif

If you like Empyrean Isles, you will surely like Maiden Voyage. Both have the late great Tony Williams on Drums.

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
If you like Empyrean Isles, you will surely like Maiden Voyage. Both have the late great Tony Williams on Drums.

Yeah, I saw this the other day at the local CD shop, should have picked up. Oh well.

How are the other Blue Note albums.

Scott

Oct 29, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Yeah, I saw this the other day at the local CD shop, should have picked up. Oh well.

How are the other Blue Note albums.

Scott

If you mean by Herbie Hancock, I would suggest also: Point Of View and The Prisoner, which are also from the re-mastered "RVG" recordings.

Herbie also plays on quite a few of the Blue Note RVG's with other artists.

Oct 29, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Empyrean Isles is generally one of the records I recommend to people who want to get started in jazz. Everyone has heard Cantaloupe Island, but that doesn't detract from the genius of it's groove.
cool.gif
It's much easier to digest that something like A Love Supreme.

Oct 29, 2003 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 15
I am fairly new to Jazz, I also picked up Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" (That's like a law or something when you listen to Jazz....Step 1: Buy "Kind of Blue") and "The Birth of Cool", and I am really enjoying those as well. I like the more uptempo tracks.

Next I pick up some of the John Coltrane classics. So much music, so little time...and money.

edit: Mez Spel Badd

Scott

Oct 29, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 15
If you like Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage, I would highly suggest any CD's from the Miles Davis Quintet with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams and of course Miles. Here are some suggestions with that lineup:

Miles Smiles
Sorcerer
Nefertiti
E.S.P.
Miles in the Sky
Water Babies
Filles De Kilamanjaro

Oct 29, 2003 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Great! Now if you could me the money to buy all this, that would be great too
wink.gif

Scott

Quote:

Originally posted by Magic77
If you like Herbie Hancock's Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage, I would highly suggest any CD's from the Miles Davis Quintet with Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Wayne Shorter, Tony Williams and of course Miles. Here are some suggestions with that lineup:

Miles Smiles
Sorcerer
Nefertiti
E.S.P.
Miles in the Sky
Water Babies
Filles De Kilamanjaro

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:54 PM Post #11 of 15
If you want to spend even more money on Miles
wink.gif

try some of these:

Birth of the Cool
the Relaxin, Workin, Steamin, Cookin albums
Sketches of Spain
Round About Midnight (one of my favs)

Maybe you could sell your blood or something.....
280smile.gif

Oct 29, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 15
I have the Remaster of Birth of the Cool, it's awesome.

I see some of this stuff has been released on SACD too.

etysmile.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by mojoman
If you want to spend even more money on Miles
wink.gif

try some of these:

Birth of the Cool
the Relaxin, Workin, Steamin, Cookin albums
Sketches of Spain
Round About Midnight (one of my favs)

Maybe you could sell your blood or something.....
280smile.gif

Oct 31, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 15
Of this album and the one that followed it, Maiden Voyage, my preference is with the latter. While both are sweetly recorded classics, the addition of Coleman's sax in Maiden Voyage afforded an ensemble Hancock an ensemble for which he could write in the hard bop vein. Empyrean Isles is more in the free/modal vein. It's hard to say too many good things about Rudy Van Gelder's recording work.

Oct 31, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 15
I'd love to see these in SACD.

Oct 31, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

I'd love to see these in SACD.

They/re awfully good on one of the recent redbook CD players. I'm using a Arcam FMJ 23T and the Meredian, Wadia, and other units extract more material with good representation and timing than many of us might have thought possible five years ago. Don't write off redbook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back