Herbie’s grungebuster CD mat – an $8 tweak that seems to work!
May 18, 2003 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

bdb55

100+ Head-Fier
So when I ordered a couple Type 1 power cables from Wayne of Bolder Cables last week I noticed this bizarre item on his site. It’s a CD mat – a sticky piece of rubber that you put on your CD that is supposed to improve the sound. I was extremely skeptical, but after reading more, and seeing as it was only $8, I decided to give it a try. Here’s what the manufacturer says about it: “By reducing microphonic vibrations in the CD’s motion, the laser focuses more accurately. This reduces digital error and eliminates grunge, glare, and other distortions.” This seemed pretty far fetched. But I also read the following on Wayne’s forum: “I also am carrying Herbie's Grungebuster CD mat.
This is an inexpensive vibration absorbing mat to place over your CD's. It really does make a difference. The last time the DAM came over, I showed them this little mat and let them hear the difference. Everyone bought one. Tyson bought 6!!” Now that seemed a bit more encouraging! The cables and mat arrived today and both have made a significant improvement in my system (963SA, Corda HA-2, DT880). I just did a mini-comparison on a few recordings with and without the mat. Here’s what changed when I slapped the mat on:

Mozart: Die Sonaten Für Klavier und Violine (Sonatas for Piano and Violin) (Deutsche Grammophon)

The instruments seemed richer and clearer, especially the piano, with more separation.

Rolling Stones: Let it Bleed SACD

I noticed slight improvements in clarity and focus, but the biggest difference was deeper bass.

John Coltrane: A Love Supreme SACD

There was more texture in the symbols, more separation, and deeper bass.

White Stripes: Elephant

Again, I could hear more texture, and I also noticed better decay of the instruments. There was deeper, more present bass as well.

I have to say that most of these changes were pretty slight, but I think that they were there. Has anyone else tried this?

Here’s an listing on Audiogon for the mat (http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ran&1057568139) that has a picture and links to more comments. It’s selling for $20 there, but you can get it for $8 from Bolder Cables (http://www.boldercables.com/Store.as...em+Accessories). Please, someone else get one and convince me that I’m not going crazy!

May 18, 2003 at 10:43 AM Post #2 of 41
For what it's worth, I think you're just some crazy audiophile that needs every teensy upgrade possible. And don't deny it either, you know it's true
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2003 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 41
Looks like a real hassle to install and remove each time. At least it isn't one of those thick, heavy cd mats that kill your transport and damages the label side of your discs from the constant slippage.

May 26, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 41
I got one recently and its not particularly hard to put in place. The mat is very sticky/charged whne new but loses some of this after some use and can be adjusted somewhat as it is put in place. Then just rub it to stick it down and it's fine. The whole process takes about 20 seconds.

I have tried several mats over the years and given up on them. This one is much better. The improvements were evident on all equipment, but somewhat less obvious on the better CD player (CEC belt-drive) and a memorex portable but very obvious on a standard Teac. It helped a dvd player, somewhat more I felt in the sound than picture, but there was some increase in picture clarity and edge, giving somewhat more of a 3 dimensional effect to the picture. All listening was done with Koss ESP 950 or Stax 404 electrostatics. I am getting several more.

May 26, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 41
Two Questioms. Do they only work on front loading cdp's? How long are they good for?

May 26, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Two Questioms. Do they only work on front loading cdp's? How long are they good for?

I think that they'll work on any CDP because they are so thin and adhere to the CD pretty well. I think they'll last for quite a long time; I don't see how rubber/plastic can wear out.

May 26, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 41
Thanks!

Jun 3, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 41
After a couple of weeks now of listening I still recommend the product even though they are now about $20.00. This is still a bargain compared to other mats I have tried and it does a lot more good than any other mat I have had.

You know when you are on something good when you start listening again to all sorts of music to hear what it sounds like with the new mod/accessory/equipment. 80-90% of my recording sound vastly improved, none sound worse. I am hearing timbre that was not obvious before, sound sources are more precisely localised in space, dynamics are improved, the sound often just sort of floats in space.

As regards use, I have 3 now and have used them on everything I own portables, drawer and top mount players and haven't had any major problem. There is not much spare room with the portables, so I have on occasion had to reinsert the mat to make sure it didn't rub something and stop the player.

I have washed them with ordinary soap and water if they don't stick well-enough and the stick comes back like new. I should add that all my discs have been polished, top and bottom and I think the polish may be coming off the lable onto the mat. Using a mat however, there is no further need to polish the label side.

Again, this has been the biggest sonic improvment I have heard in a long time and for $8.00- $20.00 is an incredible bargain.

Jun 4, 2003 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 41
Wayne told me that he only had a few of the $8 mats left - the company changed the design slightly and increased the price to $20; I guess he doesn't have the new ones in stock yet.

While this would work with a SlimX, I don't think that it would be the best way to spend your money. This is kind of a last 1% type tweak if you already have a nice home source - using it portably would be kinda weird!

Jun 5, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 41
I am very enthusiastic about this product . This is not a 1% improvement. I would say 20-30% for high definition phones. I am listening with Stax and Koss electrostatics. The effects may be less obvious with other types of phones.

Jun 5, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins

There are actually three different models. One for front loaders, one for top loaders, and one for weird CPS's that play with the label side down.

The design changed because of issues with sticking inside of some CDP's. The new price reflects the cost of the improved product (according to the designer).

Jun 25, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 41
Verdict on grungebusters: I like 'em! Firms up definition and especially low end.

Of course, having gone this far, one is of course using the Auric Illiminator treatment and running each CD through a Bedini Ultra-Clarifier before play...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 25, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 41
Thanks Hirsch, I could have lived without that last post, dumb and happy only spending $20. Now I'll be wondering.

Jun 26, 2003 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 41
I looked for them on the site but was unable to find them, anyone have a link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back