Henri Cartier-Bresson dies. (One of the greatest photographers of all time.)
Aug 4, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 15
Oh man sad news, and we were just talking about his photos a few days ago...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 15
This truly is a shame. I'm what one might call an avid amateur photographer, and he was my biggest influence. Like him, my favorite place to photograph is the street, and also like him, I use a rangefinder camera. I don't use a Leica, however; rather, I use a Voigtlander R2 with Leica M glass.

His work is some of the most inspiring street photography, or just photography, ever to have been captured. For those of you who haven't seen his work, you must. When viewing his photographs, it's hard to believe that a man was even present; the subjects are so natural and oblivious to the presence of a photographer.

It's a good thing his work will live on. And so will his concept of the 'decisive moment,' so beautifully demonstrated in all of his images.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Quality Guru
When viewing his photographs, it's hard to believe that a man was even present; the subjects are so natural and oblivious to the presence of a photographer.

That is so true indeed.

Here I want to paste quite a line in the NYT's article:
Quote:

...his best photographs, many of them from the 1930's, when he bore the imprint in particular of Surrealism, are among the finest works of 20th century art in any medium.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 15
I don't know that I would call him an inspiration for me...I think he was just too good. I can only appreciate. My own photographs are a different medium. It is like the difference between cuneiform and Shakespeare. I think my personal favorite of his (that I have seen) is the shot he took of Matisse in the painter's studio:
PAR42251.jpg

It is just perfect. The composition, the subject matter, the perspective. I could look at it all day.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuartr
I think my personal favorite of his (that I have seen) is the shot he took of Matisse in the painter's studio:

It is just perfect. The composition, the subject matter, the perspective. I could look at it all day.

Yes. I always thought that was less accessible for others but a personal favorite. I've found good prints of it mesmerising.

Aug 4, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 15
Rest In Peace, good friend. I was always a fan of your work and aspired to become a photojournalist.

frown.gif

He had a long, eventful and accomplished life anyway. Time for him to rest.

Aug 5, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 15
I'll miss him

J|!

Aug 5, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by psxguy85
Rest In Peace, good friend. I was always a fan of your work and aspired to become a photojournalist.

frown.gif

He had a long, eventful and accomplished life anyway. Time for him to rest.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:48 PM Post #14 of 15
I'm a bit surprised to hear that news. I guess I thought he had already passed given the dates of his most well known work.
I saw a fantastic exhibit at MOPA in San Diego in the late 80s featuring him and Lartigue. Very impressive stuff.
His ability to convey action still makes me lust after an M6 but the impracticality of darkroom work for me means I'll stay with digital and a few med format cameras which rarely get used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back