Helping Hands Options
Mar 23, 2006 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Samgotit

Headphoneus Supremus
Any better devices out there other than the old standard. I'd like something with a heavy base and little more maneuverable.

Helping%20hands.JPG

Someone mentioned these:
http://www.oselectronics.com/ose_p67.htm

Any tips on holding modification work or new work once it's semi-populated and heavier.

Thanks,
Sam

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #4 of 14
Where do you find a good headband magnifier?
That sounds like a much better solution.

I can't use the magnifier on mine, because it just seems either out of focus
or just really poorly made. Probably just what I get for buying the radio shack version.

-Jeff

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 14
How about DIY? Some folks just fold a large towel. Other possibilities are homemade jigs, which can be as simple as cutting a 1/16" slot into some wood to hold a board, or you could drill through a couple of 1" x 2" pieces to hold some bolts, screw one down to a flat board, and tighten the bolts after inserting the edge of a circuit board. For angles, just cut a couple 1" x 2" pieces with a miter box and mount the bolted pieces to those. I use those hands mostly to hold solder and wires and parts and things.

Mar 24, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 14
Personally I really like the Panavise JR, at the bottom of the page for $20. Give it a try.

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 14
I like the metal ones, they act as good heatsinks during soldering. not sure about the rubber coated ones. wouldnt know if the extreme heat would have an adverse reaction to the rubber. I wouldnt want any heat induced marks on the connectors, the Cardas connectors get pretty hot, and I alway use some form heat sink to prevent dielectric from deviating.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #13 of 14
Thanks all for the advice.

I stumbled across this vise today at Harbor Freight for $11 (some of the people in there scare me). Looks like a Sears clone.

Works like a dream relative to helping hands. Suction base fails eveytime so I added a little weight. This is very much the right tool for the right job.

Oh, I swear that's just how the vise was on the desk when I took the picture.

Next to my new XYtronic, temperature controlled... analog display... start up time <15s... came with 3 free tips... a joy to use... threw away the 20/40 radioshack... ESD... great deal from ebay..., XY9-60A Pro soldering iron.
biggrin.gif

Vise.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back