HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 3, 2012 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

LazBro123

500+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I wanted to check out the driver on my ATH-M50, and when I did, a wire came off the driver, and now its broken..... How do I put that wire back on!!????? 

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Get a cheap low wattage soldering iron, place the wire back in place with small needle nose or however you can, put the iron on top of the wire where it contacts the solder patch on the driver an heat it only enough to melt the solder. Remove heat and hold the wire in place until the solder cools and hardens. Done.

Mar 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 17
Also pre tin the end of the wire. You will need resin core solder for this NOT plumbing solder. If it is a cloth wire then it will take a fair amount of heat to melt through the coating on the wire. If it is jacketed wire then strip off a tiny amount of insulation at the end of the wire to expose the conductors, then heat the exposed wires with the iron and apply solder. Do this quickly ore the insulation could melt further down the wire.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
Also pre tin the end of the wire. You will need resin core solder for this NOT plumbing solder. If it is a cloth wire then it will take a fair amount of heat to melt through the coating on the wire. If it is jacketed wire then strip off a tiny amount of insulation at the end of the wire to expose the conductors, then heat the exposed wires with the iron and apply solder. Do this quickly ore the insulation could melt further down the wire.

Is there any way to do this without soldering?

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:

Is there any way to do this without soldering?

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #11 of 17
confused.gif
 Wow, what did you do it? Anyway, can you take a picture of it to show us what's broken? Plenty of DIY'ers here that might help you better if they could see it.

Quote:
Okay I'm screwed. Brought it to the shop, and they couldn't fix it..... Can I get a replacement pair free?

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Okay I'm screwed. Brought it to the shop, and they couldn't fix it..... Can I get a replacement pair free?

rl.gif
  The posts here just keep giving and giving and giving.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 17
Okay guys..... If Audio Technica cannot replace the headphones, then I am going to buy new headphones. I will spend maximum 250 dollars. What would you recommend? I like the Ultrasone HFI 2400. Any other suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back