Help!
Jul 7, 2008 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Devon8822

100+ Head-Fier
I have a cheap pair of headphones that have an extremely long cable, so I decided to try and shorten it. I cut a big chunk out as well as the volume control, and attempted to connect it back together but failed. theres two sides on the cable, one for each earphone speaker. each side has 2 wires. so four wires all together. I connected them back up the way they were by wrapping the cut ends together, and it did not work. How can I fix these? thanks

Jul 7, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 12
You need to be more specific. If you post some pictures of the cables I'm sure people here will people able to help you out.
Basically the answer to your question right now is 'wire it correctly'
tongue.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 12
It's easier to just cut off as much as you want to shorten it from the plug end, and then put a new plug on it, than it is to splice lacquered wires together. Looks much nicer also.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 12
yes, the color is enamel. tin your iron with solder, touch it to the tip of the exposed ends of each wire to tin them. this will melt back the enamel and expose a conductive surface (you can verify this with your DMM if you wish to do so). Then just simply touch the 2 "tinned" and prepared wire ends together with a soldering iron, and it will melt them together nicely, in what should be a very solid, conductive join. Good luck, feel free to PM if you have any more questions. And FYI, one on each channel is the signal, and the other wire is the ground.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 12
hmm. well the only thing I could guess is that there might be some in line resistance built in, removing it would "make it louder". but FWIW I dont know of many stock cables that come pre-attenuated like that.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 12
other than that....to make them "louder" = amplifier?
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back