Help - WooAudio3 or WooAudio6
Dec 17, 2006 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
This will be my first tube amp. Any help is appreciated.

I will be driving the HD600 and RS-2. It was recomended that I go with the woo audio6 because of he high impedence of the HD600 (300 ohm). But the WoodAudio3 specs say it can go from 30 to 300 ohm. The WoodAudio6 8 to 600 ohms.

Would the WooAudio3 drive the HD600 with authority? Or should I just bit the bullet and go class A?

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 15
Search first; Then call WooAudio for you two phone application. The Woo3 IS NOT able to appropriately drive the RS-2s is what I believe you will find out; And that is why for the W6 was designed. To drive both your cans of choice you mention.

They do offer matching HP stands you know
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 15
The 32 ohm will suck more mA and the Woo 3 may drive them but there may be little headroom so dynamic passages will suffer and you may not be able to achieve higher volumes on music that requires this due to this constraint. I have never heard the 3 with lower impedence cans so I have no reference except what has been written. I would do as posted above and dialogue with the manufacture. I would also pick up some of their nice headphone stands and take many photos of them and post them here. :^) Please purchase the Woo 6 so I can read more reviews of this amp.

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 32 ohm will such more mA and the Woo 3 may drive them but there may be little headroom so dynamic passages will suffer and you may not be able to achieve higher volumes on music that requires this due to this constraint. I have never heard the 3 with lower impedence cans so I have no reference except what has been written. I would do as posted above and dialogue with the manufacture. I would also pick up some of their nice headphone stands and take many photos of them and post them here. :^) Please purchase the Woo 6 so I can read more reviews of this amp.

That is exactly right!

I had the Woo 3 with both Senns and Grados - it's magic with the Senns... but, seems to distort at certain frequencies (I suppose it clips) with the Grados. So... the sound seems to have a bit of a congested, rough sound, or fluttering sound, at those frequencies at moderate to high volumes - it's not smooth and clear as it is with the Senns.

And... that is precisely why Woo Audio developed the Woo 6 - to drive both high and low impedence phones equally well. The Woo 4 does also (also a transformer coupled amp), but at a significant premium.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #7 of 15
Yes. The HD650's are more efficient headphones. More power is required to obtain the same db. Just like home speakers with an efficiancy of say 85 and another speaker with an efficiancy of 98 or like my Klipsch with a 101db at one watt and one meter efficiancy. Different philosophies.

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the lower the ohm headphone (32) needs more milliamps to drive it and and higher ohm phone needs less miliamps?

Would the WooAudio3 drive the HD600 with authority? Or should I just bit the bullet and go class A?

Yes, yes bite a bullet and go class "A".... FTW
tongue.gif

Dec 17, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Having owned lot of cans and woo3 in the past...I suggest you choose Woo6. I would think it's more versatile with low or high impedance cans like Mapletree amp I use to own. Woo6 and Mapletree amp both share in the transformer coupled design that can deliver high amount of current for low impedance cans and yet have enough power (voltage) to drive high impedance cans.

Dec 17, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks everyone. The woo6 it is. I sent wooaudio an email with some of these questions and then will hopefully order.

I hope I'm in for a great experience. This my first tube amp AND I like a warm sound. Anyone one with an encouraging word - please reply. I need reassurance that I'm going for the right tube amp.

Dec 17, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 15
There are no absolutes. Your ears/mind will tell you. What I like you may not and so on. From what I have read, those that have the amp are enjoying it and find it delivers in very good sound quality. If I were back in the states I would most likely purchase one.

Now you can buy another rectifier tube or two, as these influence the sound, and find some nice 6DE7's of different varieties, GE, RCA, Raytheon, Sylvania but I would just enjoy the amp and study up on the different tubes it uses.

Dec 17, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, yes bite a bullet and go class "A".... FTW
tongue.gif

The Woo 3 does drive the HD600/650's exceptionally well - with the right tubes! Some have reported that it drives them as well as, or better than any amp, including the MPX3.

But... it doesn't drive low impedence phones as well as other amps.

If you want that flexibility, your choice of the Woo 6 is the right choice.

Dec 17, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 15
I also believe the WA6 is more flexible, and that's why I have ordered one instead of a 3.

You can also ask Jack to tweak the WA6 to syngerise better with low impedance cans like the W5000 or GS1000.

For my case, I have asked my WA6 to take into consideration of the driving need of my K701, while also take care of my HD650 and W5000. It is afterall a balancing act.

Regards,
F. Lo

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 15
My only gripe with the Woo6 is the obscure driver tubes it uses, 6DE7. I looked around and couldn't really find too many replacements. This would bother me if I couldn't change out the tubes, which IMO is kinda part of tube amps, the ability to change the flavor. The Woo 3 uses 6922 for which there is tons of options, however I would definately wait to hear back from Woo to see if it can drive you cans.

Dec 17, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 15
I have found them at dealers for 3 to 4 dollars each in Westhinghouse, GE, RCA, Raytheon and a few others. They were made from the early 1950's on so with a little looking I don't think it will be hard to find many different variations of the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back