help with WinXP IE
Dec 16, 2003 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ProFingerSk8er

Headphoneus Supremus
aww..this is really bugging me..

seems like i lost my IE infomation bar at the bottom again -__-
i always loose the bar few months after i format my computer.. and it happened again today when i was using spybot to clean my comp..i noticed my bar disappear again, so far i have no clue on how to get it back...

if your not sure what im talking about:

desktop1.jpg

this is the bar im talking about

desktop2.jpg

here's a screenshot of my IE, notice the bar's missing x_X

i kno IE isnt the best browser..but i actually like it because its soo simple..but without the infomation bar it's buggine me like crazy $#%#
so if you know to get it back, please let me know..thanks

Dec 16, 2003 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 19
For me one of XP's bigger annoyances is that it requires a complicated sequence of steps to turn on the status bar and make it stay on - you need to mess with the registry. If you just use View->Status then next time you start your computer the status bar will probably be gone again.

Dec 16, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 19
OMG i feel like a dumbass..
thank you soo much!

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

one of XP's bigger annoyances is that it requires a complicated sequence of steps to turn on the status bar and make it stay on

Omg, yes! I thought it was just me. Kinda pisses me off too. As a relative XP newbie, I've been too lazy to research why this happens, or a permanent fix (ala a registry hack). Anyone?

I've also done a registry fix (supposedly) to stop Windows Messaging and put an end to those annoying message pop-ups. But every once in a while that setting goes away, and I start getting messages again! What?

Dec 16, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
I've also done a registry fix (supposedly) to stop Windows Messaging and put an end to those annoying message pop-ups. But every once in a while that setting goes away, and I start getting messages again! What?

Start->Run->MsConfig and then remove it as a startup application...

Next time you turn your computer on, it'll tell you that you've selected a selective start... tick the don't show me this again tickbox, and then... buhbye messenger
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 19
Okay, I can get the msconfig just fine, but what are some of those applications? I can't find messenger (I don't recognize it) I thought I had uninstalled messinger, but sometimes when I start this computer it tells me there is a newer version of messenger that I should install. Of course I don't want it.
But, what are things like
nwiz
BCMSMMSG
qttask
mmtask
ccApp
ZingSpooler

It doesn't give me the complete address so I can't find these items to figure out if I need them or not.

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

nwiz
BCMSMMSG
qttask
mmtask
ccApp
ZingSpooler

never heard of those, im pretty sure most of them are usless..

as for ms messaging, before uninstalling, go to it's settings and uncheck the "run on start up" option..it wont bug you again

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by ProFingerSk8er
as for ms messaging, before uninstalling, go to it's settings and uncheck the "run on start up" option..it wont bug you again

MSConfig does the same thing, but seemingly more permanently
biggrin.gif

As to the messenger thing... I can't remember what its called now, but it has mess as part of its name...

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 19
I thought I had uninstalled it. I must not have.
In MSconfig I found a check box in the startup section for messenger and unchecked that. It indicated that messenger was running
rolleyes.gif

Dec 16, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Start->Run->MsConfig and then remove it as a startup application...

Messenger cannot be stopped this way (via startup services). The only way to do it is via the System Registry.

Dec 16, 2003 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Messenger cannot be stopped this way (via startup services). The only way to do it is via the System Registry.

Persistant little program isn't it?
Would messenger be what causes activity while I am surfing? My mouse changes while I am at a website like here just as it does while this page is loading. Does that make sense?

Dec 17, 2003 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD

But, what are things like
nwiz
BCMSMMSG
qttask
mmtask
ccApp
ZingSpooler

NWiz is a program by NVidia that allows you to use multiple monitors with one computer.

BCMSMMSG is your dialup modem working.

Qttask is QuickTime putting it's little 'Q' in your system tray (the place down to the right of Start where you can click on symbols).

Mmtask is Windows' "Multimedia Support" program. It allows you to view multiple movies, graphics, etc.

CcApp is a Norton Antivirus thing. I'm not very familiar with it. Supposedly it helps Norton with the active scanning and email checking of your computer.

ZingSpooler I've never heard of. I got curious and found some info on it at this website:
"Was used for a drag and drop program to upload pictures to www.zing.com but Zing has gone out of business. Now used for Sony ImageStation's upload photos to online albums"

580smile.gif

Dec 17, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Doesn't come up here, after messing with MSConfig...

Maybe MS give out slightly different versions of XP in different countries... wouldn't have thought so, but you never know...

Either way, if you can't get rid of it through msconfig, does anyone have the registry key that they need to clear for this to be stopped?

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back