Help with Windows XP (DOS), please?
Nov 22, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #32 of 36
If you boot with the XP installation disk you will get an option to repair a current Windows installation. If you go into the recovery console you can also run chkdsk c: /f , this will run a scan of the C:\ drive and fix any errors. You can also try fixing the master boot record by typing fdisk /mbr .

If that doesn't work, you can install over your current Windows XP installation without formatting the drive. This will install a new copy of windows over your current copy.

Barring that, you can purchase a USB adapter for an IDE / SATA drive and use that to connect the drive to another computer and get your data off it. You may have to take ownership of the files you're trying to copy or you will likely get an "access denied" error, or something similar. See here: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

Nov 22, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by illy2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always attempt to try to repair the windows installation. It should just delete and fix the windows components which are needed and shouldn't touch your data. You can do it by using your recovery CD.

I'm trying to repair Windows using the recovery console, but it doesn't seem to want to let me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the recovery console works a little differently than a standard command prompt in XP, with limited commands, and it may also may make what access you have to the HD read-only. I don't remember that for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. here's MS's page for the recovery console with descriptions of all the commands available to you: Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users

Have you tried either the "fixboot" or "fixmbr" commands? the installation is obviously there, (hence the presence of the recovery console), so it seems to be reading the partition correctly, just not booting windows properly. unfortunately, every recovery disk I've ever used (pretty much all brands) has only given the options for preset "fixes" which rarely work, or only work in specific circumstances, or total recovery. so if you can't repair the problem in the recovery console, or get the HD hooked up to another computer, you may be forced to lose it all.

is the problem computer a desktop or laptop? if it's a desktop, you can very easily remove the hard drive and install it into a new machine. the only thing you really have to be careful about anymore is that both use the same type of connectors, which will be obvious if you have them open. if it's a laptop, it can be harder to get the HD out at all (some Sonys and older Toshibas put the HD under the keyboard), but, and I'm not necessarily advocating this, as a former Circuit City technician, I've seen several customers buy a HD enclosure, and then return it within a week because it "didn't suit their needs." I'm sure it was for a similar situation. They used it and were done with it. On the other hand, they're only about $30 and are helpful to have around.

anyway, a little long-winded but I hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips. It's a laptop and I'm looking into getting one of those enclosure things, but I have literally no money right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soMn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, I just remembered the recovery console is on the disk itself as an option instead of installation isn't it?

Yes, think the recovery console boots from the disc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you boot with the XP installation disk you will get an option to repair a current Windows installation. If you go into the recovery console you can also run chkdsk c: /f , this will run a scan of the C:\ drive and fix any errors. You can also try fixing the master boot record by typing fdisk /mbr .

If that doesn't work, you can install over your current Windows XP installation without formatting the drive. This will install a new copy of windows over your current copy.

Barring that, you can purchase a USB adapter for an IDE / SATA drive and use that to connect the drive to another computer and get your data off it. You may have to take ownership of the files you're trying to copy or you will likely get an "access denied" error, or something similar. See here: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

I tried a chkdsk command but it failed. I don't think I can install a new partition of Windows XP with just a recovery CD, can I?

Also, a turn for the worse: I tried to see if I could boot Windows normally and I got this "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure (Failing Attr:02)" Doesn't sound good..
frown.gif

I'm hoping that imminent failure thing is just due to corrupted boot files and nothing physical.

Nov 22, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #35 of 36
The SMART error means you need a new hard disk because the one you currently have is failing. If you're lucky the computer is still under warranty. If you're not lucky, you can pick up a reasonably cheap replacement on eBay or Newegg.com. Make sure to pull the old hard disk and get the same type of drive (whether it's SATA or IDE).

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:04 PM Post #36 of 36
Glad to hear the UBCD4Win worked out for you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, a SMART error like that pretty much confirms it is a defective HDD. The fact that you just ran Windows Update must be a coincidence. I know I've already said this, and it sounds like you are doing it, but it's worth saying for others who might read this -- try not to do any Writes to a defective HDD, only do Reads (copying). After you have everything important backed up, then you can try stuff like disk scans and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back