Help with vinyl setup. (not a recommend me X record player thread)
Aug 15, 2012 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
So, being the relatively young person I am in my early 20's, I never owned vinyl. I've recently gained a little interest and picked up a few of my favourite albums on vinyl as I've found them at decent prices.

I currently own a set of KRK RP6 monitors and the KRK sub. These are powered monitors. I run them using a digital, USB interface and my computer to play my music library.

I'm looking to purchase a record player (Pro-ject Debut III or Rega Planar probably), and would like to be able to play my records VIA both my KRK monitors and headphones. I am currently in between headphones and DACs/AMPs, so I would be starting the headphone portion from scratch again.

I come to you asking for some advice and technical information in regards to how I could get a record player working (and what gear I need) with my monitors and headphones as I have never owned a vinyl system before and know very little about what's needed to get them running.

I highly appreciate any information you may have, I know there's a fair few people here who love their vinyl and would love to hear their suggestions. If I could get any amps/preamps that would run both headphones and the record player that would be great as I am somewhat budget minded and that would kill two birds with one stone.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #2 of 20
Since you have powered monitors, all you will need is a phono preamp. You can use this with a headphone amp as well. I can't recommend a standalone phonostage since I use a receiver/integrated with one built in, but maybe others can chime in here.

Another piece of equipment I would strongly recommend is a record cleaning machine, especially if you're going to be buying used vinyl (very easy to find cheap records in reasonably good condition). I use a KAB EV-1, which can be had for a little under $200. It is well worth its price tag.

I would also recommend a carbon fiber brush for removing light surface dust before each play. I use a Hunt E.D.A. brush ($25-30, depending on where you buy it). I clean this with a Mr. Clean magic eraser (works incredibly well, and it can be used to clean your stylus as well). PM me if you have questions about cleaning records.

Aug 16, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 20
Have you considered a USB T/T (Music Hall, Audio Technica, Stanton, Numark, etc...) for use with your computer?  Sound quality will suffer so not really a recommendation.
Nothing wrong with Rega/Pro-Ject T/T's - you will need a pre-amp with a built-in MM phono stage for the RIAA equalization.
Many older pre-amps with phono stages also include a headphone jack - think used (Adcom, NAD, etc...)

Tons of info here...
http://www.vinylengine.com/
http://www.theanalogdept.com/index.html

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks for the great information so far guys.

In relation to my monitors, how are they connected to the turntable/phono preamp? I mean, I use them mainly with my computer, so would I have to unplug them every time from my audio interface for use with the TT, or could I use a different output from the monitors (RCA/TRS?) so they could be connected to both my audio interface and TT?

How much money do I have to spend for a half decent phono preamp? Which headphone amps have the phono amp feature? It's not a feature I've ever taken much notice of when researching headphone amps before.

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are helping greatly.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm not familiar with your powered monitors.  What type of connectors does it have for hookup and what inputs/outputs does it have?
This will give me a better idea of what is needed for a vinyl rig.

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 20
This is the back of the monitor with all the connections. Hope that helps. I currently am using the xlr to connect the monitors and sub to the audio interface.

http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=au&client=safari&tab=wi&q=rokit%20rp6&sa=N&biw=320&bih=356#i=1

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
Thanks for the great information so far guys.

In relation to my monitors, how are they connected to the turntable/phono preamp? I mean, I use them mainly with my computer, so would I have to unplug them every time from my audio interface for use with the TT, or could I use a different output from the monitors (RCA/TRS?) so they could be connected to both my audio interface and TT?

How much money do I have to spend for a half decent phono preamp? Which headphone amps have the phono amp feature? It's not a feature I've ever taken much notice of when researching headphone amps before.

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys are helping greatly.

If your monitors have RCA inputs in addition to XLR, you might not need to unplug the phonostage when you switch to digital. In terms of headphone amps with built in phono preamps, I would suggest just going with a receiver or integrated amp. Most receivers made before 1985 will have a built in phono preamp. And here's an idea; plug your DAC and turntable into the receiver, and connect your monitors to the line out (or tape record out). This will feed a line-level signal to your monitors.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #10 of 20
Ok I see now.  calipilot227 made some good suggestions. 

You asked about headphone amps with a phono section?  I don't think they exist or at least I've never seen one.
A decent used preamp, integrated or receiver can go as low as $200 and up.  I would stick to a reputable
name mentioned previously.

So to clarify, since you have an active powered speaker all you will need is just a regular preamplifier that can accommodate
your speakers.  The unbalanced rca is probably the best and safest route.

Of course, you can always get a receiver or integrated amp (as calipilot 227 suggested).  However, make sure it has
a MM phono stage.  If it has an output jack for headphones that would be a bonus. 

Connect all your sources to the preamp or amp (speakers, cdp, dac, T/T, computer sound card, etc....) and you're good to go.

Aug 17, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Ok I see now.  calipilot227 made some good suggestions. 

You asked about headphone amps with a phono section?  I don't think they exist or at least I've never seen one.
A decent used preamp, integrated or receiver can go as low as $200 and up.  I would stick to a reputable
name mentioned previously.

So to clarify, since you have an active powered speaker all you will need is just a regular preamplifier that can accommodate
your speakers.  The unbalanced rca is probably the best and safest route.

Of course, you can always get a receiver or integrated amp (as calipilot 227 suggested).  However, make sure it has
a MM phono stage.  If it has an output jack for headphones that would be a bonus. 

Connect all your sources to the preamp or amp (speakers, cdp, dac, T/T, computer sound card, etc....) and you're good to go.

Thanks again for your help, and please excuse me being a little slow to understand this.

OK, so to follow up with.. you say because my speakers are active/powered, I only need a "regular" preamp to drive the TT? Does this mean I don't need a "phono" preamp? In other words, my old Audio-GD FUN had a preamp (as well as DAC/headphone amp), are you saying it would work with that, or is that solely a headphone preamp, not a regular preamp that we get in headphone amps?

I also found this and saw it was highly recommended for the price (around $150). 

http://nadelectronics.com/products/turntables/PP-2-Phono-Preamplifier

Any thoughts? How would something like this connect? TT > Phono preamp > audio interface? Then because my monitors are connected to my audio interface I could use the monitors with my TT or computer without unplugging anything?

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 20
because your KRK speakers don't have a volume knob (well, other than the gain adjustment on the back), then you must have a piece of equipment that allows you to adjust the volume.

my rig looks a lot like your rig will ultimately look:

turntable ---> phono stage --> headphone amp with preamp function --> subwoofer --> active monitors

done.

biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 20
You must have a phono stage for RIAA equalization. A regular pre won't work. Cambridge Audio makes what I consider one of the best bang-for-buck phono stages and can be had new for well under 200. Used I've seen some for $75-100. Many headphone amps have acceptable preamp capabilities. I'm enjoying vinyl right now through a Rega RP-1 to ASL phono lux dt to my Lyr as pre to a pair of ASL monoblocks

Aug 25, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:
because your KRK speakers don't have a volume knob (well, other than the gain adjustment on the back), then you must have a piece of equipment that allows you to adjust the volume.

my rig looks a lot like your rig will ultimately look:

turntable ---> phono stage --> headphone amp with preamp function --> subwoofer --> active monitors

done.

biggrin.gif

Sounds great! So how do you ultimately connect all of this to your computer so you can use the active monitors for regular computer use? Currently my setup works like:

Computer > Focusrite audio interface > XLR to subwoofer > XLR to active monitors

Quote:
You must have a phono stage for RIAA equalization. A regular pre won't work. Cambridge Audio makes what I consider one of the best bang-for-buck phono stages and can be had new for well under 200. Used I've seen some for $75-100. Many headphone amps have acceptable preamp capabilities. I'm enjoying vinyl right now through a Rega RP-1 to ASL phono lux dt to my Lyr as pre to a pair of ASL monoblocks

Thanks for the information :) I'll look into it for sure.

Aug 27, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 20
your preamp becomes the switching station as well.

so, computer to preamp.  turntable/phono stage to preamp.

switch between vinyl and digital listening on the preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back