Help with tube amps (guitar)
Mar 4, 2009 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

intoflatlines

Headphoneus Supremus
I am trying to sell my 2x12 120W solid state combo amp for a small tube amp. I don't play out anymore anyway. I have a few questions, and I know some people on here can help me out.
smily_headphones1.gif

What is a hybrid amp? How is it better/worse than a regular tube amp?

Can anyone recommend a good small tube amp that costs less than $200?

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #2 of 29
A hybrid is an amp that uses a mixture of tube and solid state devices for amplification. There's a lot of variety in these. An amp usually has two sections - gain and output. The gain steps up the signal and the output offers a bit of current to push that along to the speaker or headphones.

If you put tubes in the gain stage, you'll generally get to keep a lot of the tube flavor while having solid state to hit solid lows. Some amps, however, have solid state on the gain and tube outputs. These are a little more unusual and I don't have too much experience with them. Electra-Print has plans for a nifty 300B power amp in this configuration with 50W (!) per channel. I'm thinking about building a pair to drive my Quads.

It's hard to say what's better or best. That will depend on personal preferences and the requirements of the equipment you use. I like all tube designs, bu not entirely for the sound. The simplicity of their design, the ease of finding replacement tubes and the aesthetics play into it for me. But I'll add that some hybrids are excellent and entirely worth learning more about.

The least expensive tube amp I like is the Eddie Current Lunchbox. A little over $200 last time I checked, but worth it to own one of Craig's circuits.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 29
Thanks for the info. I've done a little more thinking and I'm considering getting a cheaper tube amp head to run to the 2x12s I have in my combo (should sound better than the cheap 8" speakers in the low end tube combos, right?)

If hybrid amps can give me tube tone I might consider them too.

Unfortunately I really can't go over $200 on this one. I've spend too much money that I don't have on random things lately, my girlfriend would kill me..

Mar 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 29
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 29
go over 200? bah, you don't even need to get over 100!

Epiphone Valve Jr. amplifier head w/Bitmo mod - eBay (item 160319557517 end time Mar-09-09 05:59:23 PDT)

never seen one going for that cheap, plus modded already to boot. this one's a "crank and grind" job to give you an idea of what tube has to offer. if you like what you hear, you can go for an Egnater Rebel 20 or Vox Night Train for under 500, or even go vintage with a silverface Fender Vibro Champ, which you can score for around $300 - the guts are still the same as the 60's blackface amps, which is a bonus, and you can just plug that thing into your ext. cab (make sure to match ohms tho!)

OK - that all said, I just found this one.

Fender Blues Junior 180W Guitar Amplifier No Reserve - eBay (item 330310936925 end time Mar-05-09 20:30:27 PST)

That's exactly in your max price range, and this amp is the one working musicians use on the road - it's road tested and pretty much standard issue for anyone who wants a tough lil tube amp. Out of all the choices above, this is the one I'd get (15W too, and EL84 power tubes!), and then after that I'd jump to the $500 egnater/vox range.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go over 200? bah, you don't even need to get over 100!

Epiphone Valve Jr. amplifier head w/Bitmo mod - eBay (item 160319557517 end time Mar-09-09 05:59:23 PDT)

never seen one going for that cheap, plus modded already to boot. this one's a "crank and grind" job to give you an idea of what tube has to offer. if you like what you hear, you can go for an Egnater Rebel 20 or Vox Night Train for under 500, or even go vintage with a silverface Fender Vibro Champ, which you can score for around $300 - the guts are still the same as the 60's blackface amps, which is a bonus, and you can just plug that thing into your ext. cab (make sure to match ohms tho!)

OK - that all said, I just found this one.

Fender Blues Junior 180W Guitar Amplifier No Reserve - eBay (item 330310936925 end time Mar-05-09 20:30:27 PST)

That's exactly in your max price range, and this amp is the one working musicians use on the road - it's road tested and pretty much standard issue for anyone who wants a tough lil tube amp. Out of all the choices above, this is the one I'd get (15W too, and EL84 power tubes!), and then after that I'd jump to the $500 egnater/vox range.

Be careful with used tube amps.

The Epiphone is okay but only has volume control. Fine if you like the sound but that thing will only get one sound with verying degrees of loudness/gain. To get a distorted tone, you'll have to play loud.

The Blues Junior is a very nice amp but that ebay guy knows nothing because its a 15w amp not 118. Plus the Blues Junior is a $600 amp and that auction will certainly go up above your range

Buy Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

Mar 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 29
Speaking of hybrids, usually those are tube in the preamp, and solid state in the power. But one I had (and man, GREAT cleans) was solid state in the pre, and tube in the power (6L6 no less) - the Music Man 112RD. You can score these for under 300 on craigslist all day long.

The Ones That Got Away: Music Man 112 RD One Hundred Amp

But the distortion channel is meh.

Mar 4, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might check out the Epiphone Valve Junior. If I get the combo version I'd probably swap out the speaker.

I am building a TS808 clone (Build Your Own Clone - Overdrive 2) so that should take care of my overdrive, right?

Yep - there's two ways to get that grind - crank your amp, or keep your amp clean RIGHT before amp breakup, then spank it with an OD or Boost or Fuzz or Distortion (you get the idea) pedal. the Tubescreamer is a classic way to do that, but remember you'll be getting that preamp grind, not the meatier power amp OD. however, the Epiphone is not a 100W marshall stack, so even if you crank it it may not be too loud - depends on your own tolerance levels!

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 29
I have a hybrid amp, the Vox ad30vt. It's alright... has cool modeling features but I too want to get rid of it and get an all tube amp.

Valve Junior and the Fender Champion 600 can be found <$200..... both are favorable to the blackheart. The Crate V-series is a pretty good value: V5 is $99 new and has both a tone and volume control, the v50 is $199 refurbished. Otherwise I would just save up and buy a Blues Jr or something.

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 29
yep, i had a vox modeling amp and oh pretty anemic - a full on tube amp with decent iron (transformer) will beef that right up.

Mar 5, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - there's two ways to get that grind - crank your amp, or keep your amp clean RIGHT before amp breakup, then spank it with an OD or Boost or Fuzz or Distortion (you get the idea) pedal. the Tubescreamer is a classic way to do that, but remember you'll be getting that preamp grind, not the meatier power amp OD. however, the Epiphone is not a 100W marshall stack, so even if you crank it it may not be too loud - depends on your own tolerance levels!

I don't really have a problem with it being too quiet.. my 120 watt combo right now is way too loud, even if I turn the volume down as much as I can. I think 5 watts would be perfect, no?

I don't play out anymore so I'm just looking for a small amp that will provide great tone.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 29
The more I think about it, the more I think you should try for that blues junior used. it ends in 30 min, and it's a little over 300 shipped right now. that's worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back