Help with ps3 audio optical output settings
Dec 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mac336

500+ Head-Fier
I am outputting my ps3 audio via optical to the schiit bifrost, then into an integrated amp powering 2 passive speakers

When I set the audio output settings (optical) to dolby digital 5.1, the audio works through the speakers when utilizing the ps3 interface, but once I start playing a game, the audio cuts off completely--no sound output at all

when I set the audio output to linear 2 ch. pcm (44, 88, or 176 kHz), the audio works fine

wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem is

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 4
  I am outputting my ps3 audio via optical to the Schiit Bifrost, then into an integrated amp powering 2 passive speakers

When I set the audio output settings (optical) to Dolby digital 5.1, the audio works through the speakers when utilizing the ps3 interface, but once I start playing a game, the audio cuts off completely--no sound output at all
when I set the audio output to linear 2 ch. pcm (44, 88, or 176 kHz), the audio works fine
wondering if anyone could tell me what the problem is

When the 6-channel (5.1) of digital audio for surround sound is needed to be sent thru the S/PDIF optical connection.
The 6-channels need to be compress, using DDL (Dolby Digital live), before being sent thru the optical cable and once to the other side, the compressed audio signal needs to be uncompress by the same function that compessed it (DDL or DTS-connect), then the 6-channels of digital is "transformed" in to Headphone surround sound, then sent to the DAC.
The Schiit Bifrost can not uncompress digital audio, nor can is process 6-channels of digital audio into headphone surround sound.
The Bifrost can only take in 2-channel of PCM (uncompressed) digital audio.
So with your current hardware, you can get (use) 2-channels (stereo) audio.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 4
thanks for explaining, I really appreciate it

do you have any recommendations for DACs that are comparable to the bifrost which would be capable of uncompressing the audio ?

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #4 of 4
  thanks for explaining, I really appreciate it

Do you have any recommendations for DACs that are comparable to the Bifrost which would be capable of uncompressing the audio ?

Technically a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) can not uncompress the audio.
Most people use a gaming headset for surround sound (type of external sound card with headphones), the gaming headsets come with a DAC chip (low cost) and very basic headphone amplifier and an audio processer.
The audio processor, changes the 6-channels of digital audio in to 2-channel of headphone surround sound, 
You would need an Gaming headset (external sound card) that can work with the PS3, take in an optical signal and also output an optical signal (to feed to the Bifrost), I have no idea which if anything does that.

I usually recomend for someone to use a (Yamaha) A/V receiver.
Run HDMI from the PS3 to the receiver and plug the headphones into the receiver.

Try asking on these two threads (concentrated gaming knowledge).
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-9-2-2013-sony-ma900-added
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593050/the-nameless-guide-to-pc-gaming-audio-with-binaural-headphone-surround-sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back