Help with possibly broken TT!
Aug 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

whm3223

New Head-Fier
Experienced Head-Fiers, I need you!

In the process of moving across the country, my Audio-Technica turntable has become damaged. The platter spins irregularly and when it's removed, the motor jumps around when it's spinning. I called a local A/V shop and, after explaining the problem, the woman told me that it's probably totaled, but if I want her to look at it, it'll cost me $40.

Would a possibly bent motor mean my TT is damned to the parts bin? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I know the table is entry-level, but I'm a poor student and I would love to not have to buy another.

Aug 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Can you post some pics? From what I read, it sounds like the motor came loose. It might take some disassembly, but my gut says that there's a bracket/mount holding the motor in place. If the motor is loose, you might only need to tighten a screw or two. If the mount is broken, there might be a way to epoxy it or DIY a replacement. Anyhow, take a few photos if you can and post them.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm working on getting it disassembled now!  I'd post pics of the TT with the platter removed, but nothing looks out of the ordinary with the motor stationary.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Alright... noob issue here... I got all these screws taken out, but the black plate won't lift out.  How do I get this thing taken apart enough to show what might be wrong with it?

Aug 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 7
I got the black plate off!  I uploaded this video on YouTube to show how the motor is spinning.  You can't really see until :30, so feel free to start the video there.  If any more information would be helpful, please let me know!

Thanks Erik!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back