help with my set-up: Head-phones, source, amp (maybe)
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

cometofind

New Head-Fier
im very new to higher end personal audio, so im still learning. at the moment im using an ipod nano and some iem's, id like to get more out of my musical experiance. i listen to a range of genres, but its mainly rock.

ive been reading around but still i need some advice on setting up a new decent priced set-up

so far ive come up with
headphones : alessandro ms-1
source: oppo 980
amp: no idea here, not even sure if its necessary

yeah im am quite unsure on what i need and what i should buy

so suggestions and advice are very welcome

Mar 18, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

Like you, I'm new to headphones, however I'm not that new to the world of hi-fi. That being said, I'm really enjoying my new (for me) MS-1's. They sound great with rock, but I think they really shine with well-recorded jazz.

Standard caveats:

1) They are not the most comfortable things in the world, so don't be prepared to listen for hours on end!

2) Quantity of bass is not their strong point. Quality of bass, however... well... that's another matter.
wink.gif

3) Replace the comfies. Even modded, having the driver so close to the ears like that kills all clarity, and therefore, spacial cues/imaging/sounstage/detail/etc. . I'm using HD-414 pads, reversed. Wonderful. I will eventually try the new Grado bowls, but for now the 414 pads do just fine! You can find them here.

As far as the amp is concerned, I don't have the widest frame of reference, since I only own one amp (Leckerton UHA-3), but it does wonders for the sound quality!

Cheers

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Hmm well some people love the Grado/ Alessandro sound, but others may dislike it. I recommend the Goldring DR150, they really shine with rock and can handle almost any other genre quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back