Help with mic clipping
Jan 22, 2024 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

a1icia

New Head-Fier
Hi im not sure if this is the right place to ask but i am running out of options. This question is related to gaming and recording gaming content. I have a Shure mv7x mic, elgato wave xlr and i use the elgato wavelink software. So i have a habit of being a little loud during my gaming sessions and i do yell a lot. The issue is that every time i do, my audio just gets cut off. So if i laugh too hard it gets cut out.. ive turned off any kind of setting that would result in my audio in clipping but it doesnt seem to be helping. i did contact shure to ask if the mic itself had some built in noise supression but i was told the mic was "a plain, analogue microphone and has no processing capabilities whatsoever". So if anyone is familiar with wavelink software and such, feel free to contact me.

Jan 22, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 5
Check the sound input settings on your computer -- the speaker icon near the upper right if it's a Mac. You can simply lower the input volume going into your computer from the mic.

Or....just move the mic further away?

Jan 23, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 5
I doubt it would be input volume since the input completely cuts out beyond a certain threshold. It'll likely be software-related since analogue mics would clip, but not completely cut out. I'm not familiar with the Elgato software, unfortunately all I can say regarding that is to reset to default settings and hope it fixes the issue. Hope this helps!

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Elegato wave xlr...turn clip guard back on. It auto drops volume in the event of you being too loud, too close to the mic, etc. Check the clip indicator and see if you are actually clipping the input of the software. If you are, turn the gain down in the software.

Google search elegato wave xlr clipping. It's very featureless software, so...if you can't figure it out...maybe email elegato tech support and they can walk you through setting gain.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 5
Hope you find a solution. Another thing to try, place your shure mic 45 degree angle off to the side from your mouth. The mic will still pick you up, but loud laughs and plosives can be lessened not speaking directly into the mic dead on. Another thing if literally everything else fails...try putting an external pop filter in front of the mv7x, this would be in addition to the already built in foam pop filter already on the mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back