Help with M-Audio AV30
Feb 24, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

utkusu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have just received my M-Audio AV30's for my desktop. I was not expecting too much but frankly I am rather disappointed with its bass. Not because of its lack of quantity, but rather its quality. It is very hallow sounding (as it is coming from inside of a box-which is true
smily_headphones1.gif
) and boomy at times. The rest of it seems to be decent for a 80 CAD purchase.

Here is my question: What might cause bass to be like that? Maybe I am doing something wrong. First of all, it is connect to onboard audio. Second, my desk is wood and located in the corner of my room where the right speaker has windows within a feet of its behind. Or maybe I should wait for them to settle without rushing to return them, would the bass get tighter over time.

I am quite the newbie. Any ideas coming from you guys is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 10
I need some help here. I really don't know the first thing about audio equipment. Basically, I have the red(-) wires going in red slots at the back of BOTH speakers, and the same for black(+).

Feb 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 10
They are on a desk in the corner of a room. One of the speakers has a wall and the other has a window behind.

I think I had the wires that connects the speakers wrong before. The bass become almost normal and a lot tighter. Reverse polarity can cause such problems??? Or maybe I got used to the sound?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #6 of 10
Reverse polarity can wreak all sorts of havoc on some speakers sound quality. Imaging issues, bass issues, etc etc. So they're fine now? Also window behind speaker isnt very ideal. You arent going to get good bass re inforcement for bookshelf speakers. You wanna have a wall behind it, and place the speaker a little away from the wall, and tune the distance to the amount of bass you want, the closer to the wall, the more boomy the bass gets, but for some bookshelf speakers this can really be the difference between wanting a sub and making do with what you have.

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 10
I think they are ok now. I still think deep bass is a bit loud and muddy but it is ok I guess. I used to have an Edifier M3300 (cheap decent 2.1) with the sub woofer almost completely silenced and my primary headphones are Hifiman RE2's (which lacks bass, too) Maybe I got overwhelmed by the quantity of the bass.

But I am pretty sure things were not right before I re-done the cables. So thank you all very much.

cheers,

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Better
smily_headphones1.gif
- that's good.
Yup- these little av30 do pack a punch. And I also did find the bass a little hollow- airy sounding. I only tested at London drugs for a few minutes.

You can try moving them out - away from wall a little more... Walls seem to amplify my a2's boomy bass as well.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 10
It might just be the low end roll-off you're experiencing... the AV30's don't reach particularly deep.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 10
I would not be surprised, beside being tune deaf, I am also quite new to this decent audio thing, I can't properly describe what I don't like about what I hear. Luckily I don't listen to bass heavy/focused music. Other than this bass issue I am pretty happy with AV30's. They seem to be a decent choice for my tight budget.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back