Help with EAC
Nov 26, 2007 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I searched around a little, but I just need to know if you have to follow any of those guides online for EAC or if I could just use the -V0 preset and have them come out OK. I tried following this one and so far it's not encoding to MP3 and it's just leaving them as WAV files.

I'm using this in the command line: -V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n" %s %d

Got it from another guide. Anyway, I'm not sure why it's only ripping to WAV, I had it working before. Maybe LAME isn't being seen or something, the command box pops up for a split second and then closes.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 17
I've compared your switches to mine and didn't see anything wrong. I don't use the "--ignore-tag-errors ", but the rest looks good.

I had a similar problem when I set up EAC/Lame initially. First, cut down the Lame switch to the absolute minimum, like -V 0 (I think that's acceptable). If it still fails, bring up a dos box and type the command manually. I think you can get the syntax by typing lame ?. You will be able to see the error code in the dos box and that should help you fix the problem.

I think my problem was not having the destination directory setup correctly. It was a long time ago.

Nov 26, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 17
Hmm, I tried running just the --v 0 command like they say in the DOS screen and get this.

Quote:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jarrod>"C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\lame.exe" --
v 0
C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\lame.exe: unrec option --v
Could not find "0".

Not sure what it means.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 17
Lame was confused because the syntax wasn't right.

From the DOS prompt, you need to provide the source file and name the mp3 file. Type "lame" and hit enter to see the command. It's something like lame [options] <infile> (outfile)

Rename a wav file to 1.wav, or something similar to make it easier to test. copy the 1.wav to the directory where lame is. Then try lame -V 0 1.wav 1.mp3

You will either get an error, or an mp3 file will be generated. You will probably get the mp3 file. Then go back to EAC and strip out the switches and just use -V 0. If that fails, it's something in the EAC settings that causing the problem.

You can also try the full switches in the command line once you get a simple mp3 file done. That will verify that lame works OK and the problem is likely one of the settings in EAC.

Nov 26, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 17
Ah I see, I thought it would say something if I just put the command in there. Wasn't thinking right
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Ok, worked with the MP3 and only using -v 0. Tried the full list and it said "Excess arg", so does that mean too many things in the command line? I know I used this exact line before I formatted and it worked fine.

Ok now it's not working again with just -v 0.

"excess arg 1.mp3"

It works in EAC with just the -v 0 though. Do I really need all that extra crap or is that just for minor things?

I just got it to work with -V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --ignore-tag-errors --ta "%a" --tt "%t" --tg "%m" --tl "%g" --ty "%y" --tn "%n"

I'm not missing anything by not having those last few things am I?

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm surprised it works without the %s %d. I don't remember their function, just that they had to be there. Glad you have it working.

For what it's worth, I don't use the ignore tag errors, but verify the genre is in the dropdown list when freedb fills in the info.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #7 of 17
Seems they mean "source file name" and "destination file name"

Odd. File names are just fine. Maybe I'll try adding them back in and removing the errors thing.

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #8 of 17
Yep, so I'm bumping this back up because I formatted and have this problem yet again. I swear this is the dumbest program I've ever used.

I tried going back into the command prompt like the messages above me said, and all I put is -v 0 and it says "excess arg 1.mp3".

I put the .wav file right in EAC's directory right next to Lame.exe and it says "Cannot find 1.wav". This is really ***ing me off.

EDIT: Finally got it to convert in the command prompt. Now when I try anything in EAC, I get this little gem:

error-1.jpg

Such a useful message.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 17
May 24, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #12 of 17
There has to be a way to get this working the first time, this is utterly ridiculous. I've never used a more annoying, stupid program in my life. I followed the guide on the first page exactly and I'm getting the same exact issues I reported in this thread the first two times, only now I can't get it working at all. Always says "excess args 1.mp3".

Is there another comparable program that actually works without spending an hour messing with it?

May 24, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 17
MediaMonkey rips to FLAC; it is free, and a very good application.

As to EAC, the newest version (0.99, I believe) has a setup wizard that worked great for me. It set all the options and walked me through configuration of AccurateRip. It works very well. Maybe you will give it a go sometime in the future. And, yes, setting up EAC the first time around took many hours.

May 24, 2008 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 17
This guide looks OK.

EAC is pretty easy to use, but like all utilities that have a lot of power and flexibility, it does have a lot of features and options.

I think from memory that media monkey was pretty easy to setup.

May 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There has to be a way to get this working the first time, this is utterly ridiculous. I've never used a more annoying, stupid program in my life. I followed the guide on the first page exactly and I'm getting the same exact issues I reported in this thread the first two times, only now I can't get it working at all. Always says "excess args 1.mp3".

Is there another comparable program that actually works without spending an hour messing with it?

You followed the Jiggafellz guide to a T and it's still not working for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back