Help with DT880 Setup
Jan 14, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #16 of 31
Would the TubeMagic A1 Amplifier be a big improvement over the STX on-board?
I like the fact that it is a tube amp (never used one personally though) and that the tubes are contained inside a nice case.
The one thing I do like on the A50 is an easy way to mix voice for movies/games easily, would love to have something like this on an amp that I can easily adjust.

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 31
Nevermind, it looks like I will lose positional audio if I go with a separate amp, so for now I think it is best I stick with the STX on-board one.

Thanks again, I can't wait to hear the DT880.

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #18 of 31
I just got the DT880 250 ohm Pro & Asus STX in.
I'm just using the DT880's on my iphone, but sounds very good.
Will try it out on the Asus and do some gaming tonight.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:
how do you like the dt880+STX? how much improvement over dt880+onboard?
i'm considering buying the same setup.

I like it a lot.  I haven't used them on-board, so I can speak for that.  As others have said, there isn't a lot of bass but it does sound good.
The STX definately has enough power to drive the DT880 250's.

I was going to buy a really nice amp for them, but after reading that if you use an external amp you can't get positioning information properly for games, I opt'd to just use the on-board amp.  I am likely going to replace the OpAmps and try that out.

It is a lot better than what I had before, and very happy with it.  Still trying to get the best settings for the setup. Tried a few things and hard to come up with what is ideal.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:
I like it a lot.  I haven't used them on-board, so I can speak for that.  As others have said, there isn't a lot of bass but it does sound good.
The STX definately has enough power to drive the DT880 250's.
I was going to buy a really nice amp for them, but after reading that if you use an external amp you can't get positioning information properly for games, I opt'd to just use the on-board amp.  I am likely going to replace the OpAmps and try that out.
It is a lot better than what I had before, and very happy with it.  Still trying to get the best settings for the setup. Tried a few things and hard to come up with what is ideal.

Did you disable the motherboard's built in audio (in the bios) when you installed the Essence STX?
The AD797BR and THS4032 seem to be good op-amps for replacing the stock ones.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
Did you disable the motherboard's built in audio (in the bios) when you installed the Essence STX?
The AD797BR and THS4032 seem to be good op-amps for replacing the stock ones.

Yes, I disabled the on-board prior to installing the drivers.
I read a few comments ( I think one was yours) that the AD797 was the best option.  Another I saw mentioned a lot I think was something along the lines 720N or so.

How much of a difference do these OpAmps make?  Is it a huge difference, or minor?

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Yes, I disabled the on-board prior to installing the drivers.
I read a few comments ( I think one was yours) that the AD797 was the best option.  Another I saw mentioned a lot I think was something along the lines 720N or so.

How much of a difference do these Op=Amps make?  Is it a huge difference, or minor?

"720N"  guess talking about the LME49720N, I think there are better op-amps available.

Rolling op-amps (swapping) and having it improve audio quality is not 100% agreed on, but changing the "favor" of the audio with rolling op-amps seems undisputed.
Like changing amount of bass, mids, treble, sound stage, warmth, vocals, etc.
I guess there are some really good sounding op-amps that cost $30-$50 each, but that's another story.
The only op-amps I would feel comfortable to recommend is the AD797BR ($12 each, which I have 3 of) and I've head good things said about the THS4032.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:
"720N"  guess talking about the LME49720N, I think there are better op-amps available.

Rolling op-amps (swapping) and having it improve audio quality is not 100% agreed on, but changing the "favor" of the audio with rolling op-amps seems undisputed.
Like changing amount of bass, mids, treble, sound stage, warmth, vocals, etc.
I guess there are some really good sounding op-amps that cost $30-$50 each, but that's another story.
The only op-amps I would feel comfortable to recommend is the AD797BR ($12 each, which I have 3 of) and I've head good things said about the THS4032.

What type of what does the AD797BR change over the stock STX ones?
Also, if I only listen to headphones I only need to replace two right?

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
What type of what does the AD797BR change over the stock STX ones?
Also, if I only listen to headphones I only need to replace two right?

I was not really able to compare, I had at first swapped the stock op-amps for 3 LME49860NA, then later on got the AD797BRs.
And have no interest in putting the stock ones back in, even for comparison.
But other have said they the AD797BR to bring out more details and might be a little brighter.
You only need to swap the two I/V op-amps to effect headphones.
All three op-amps are used for the RCA output.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #26 of 31
Quote:
I was not really able to compare, I had at first swapped the stock op-amps for 3 LME49860NA, then later on got the AD797BRs.
And have no interest in putting the stock ones back in, even for comparison.
But other have said they the AD797BR to bring out more details and might be a little brighter.
You only need to swap the two I/V op-amps to effect headphones.
All three op-amps are used for the RCA output.

Thanks

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 31
I should pick up two of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-1x-AD797BR-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-module-ultralow-noise-replace-a-dual-op-/261100530695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccacdec07

I'm thinking I will just replace all three, in case I ever decide to use the RCA out for anything in the future.
Will these just plug right in?  I noticed it says it includes two AD797BR and one DIP8.  The DIP8 is what allows me to just plug it right in right? 

Jan 25, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:
I should pick up two of these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/mod-1x-AD797BR-Dual-to-Mono-Op-amp-module-ultralow-noise-replace-a-dual-op-/261100530695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccacdec07

I'm thinking I will just replace all three, in case I ever decide to use the RCA out for anything in the future.
Will these just plug right in?  I noticed it says it includes two AD797BR and one DIP8.  The DIP8 is what allows me to just plug it right in right? 

That's the same seller and same op-amps that I use.
They are shipped to you pre-soldered and ready to be installed.

So all you have to do is remove the 4 very small Philips head screws from the STX's shield cover, take the cover off, use a small (tiny?) flathead screw driver to remove the stock op-amps.
Plug the 3 AD797BRs into the sockets, make sure the little notch is facing the right way on all three, make sure they are firmly in the sockets, put cover back on.

Good thread for advice on the STX.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Feb 11, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:
That's the same seller and same op-amps that I use.
They are shipped to you pre-soldered and ready to be installed.

So all you have to do is remove the 4 very small Philips head screws from the STX's shield cover, take the cover off, use a small (tiny?) flathead screw driver to remove the stock op-amps.
Plug the 3 AD797BRs into the sockets, make sure the little notch is facing the right way on all three, make sure they are firmly in the sockets, put cover back on.

Good thread for advice on the STX.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Hey PurpleAngel,

I just got my opAmp's in (the ones you recommended).  Why does it come with ultra tiny condoms?
http://screencast.com/t/lDPzaSGqNq

Users who are viewing this thread

Back