Help with DIY CMOY Build
Sep 29, 2008 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bmwpowere36m3

100+ Head-Fier
*BUILD DONE*

I completed my build of the CMoY, it took a few hours since it was my first DIY amp build and I strayed from the original plans. All in all I'm happy with the build, after using it for a while on 2x 9V, I switch over to a DC wall-wart and to accompany it I added a THREAD.

Here are the parts:

DSC_3076.jpg

Here's the completed amp:

DSC_3102.jpg

DSC_3103.jpg

DSC_3105.jpg

DSC_3106.jpg

I initially wanted to build the amp into an Altoids tin. With future possibilities of running in on battery power and plugged-in @ home to conserve power. I made one huge oversight during the build, when I chose to use larger caps (both the PS 470uf and coupling .47uF ones) I didn't account for their size. There was no way they would fit in the Altoids tin and upon initial build w/ the dual 9V batteries I realized I never use this as a portable amp... so I switched over to a THREAD and added a wall-wart.

*Initial Proposition*

After some more research and decision making I've finally come up with my game plan for my CMoY build. Here's my list of parts ordered thru Newark:

CMOYParts.png

Parts in salmon are the "original" components based on tangentsoft.net and the yellow ones are my own choice.

Here's the schematic:

CMOY_PS_2.jpg

CMOY_AMP.png

All that's left is to get some protoboards and an altoids tin...

I got the itch to build a headphone amplifier and decided a cmoy is a nice first start. I will only be powering IEM's with this amp, (Shure E2's, RE2, and YUIN PK3). I've decided to use this tutorial: How to Build the CMoy Pocket Amplifier

I've decided to go with a gain of 2 due to IEM usage. Now my question is does this look good (i'll be getting the protoboard and 3.5mm jacks @ RS unless there one's on Digikey as well?).

I was thinking of adding a buffer virtual ground, the "TLE2426-Based Virtual Ground (Noise Reduction Version), now my question is what the additional capacitor (CNR 1uF), is it actually 1uF? Is this virtual ground improvement even worth it?

Finally can I run on 1x 9V battery or should I go with 2x? Any other tips and hints would be appreciated, thanks.

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 17
The virtual ground takes the place of 2 resistors. I prefer using the virtual ground.

I believe you want a .1uF capacitor rather than the .47.

You can run it with 1 or 2 9 volts. It can be tricky fitting 2 9 volts in a mint tin. It can be done, but you have to plan ahead and make the board a little smaller.

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by meat01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The virtual ground takes the place of 2 resistors. I prefer using the virtual ground.

I believe you want a .1uF capacitor rather than the .47.

You can run it with 1 or 2 9 volts. It can be tricky fitting 2 9 volts in a mint tin. It can be done, but you have to plan ahead and make the board a little smaller.

Well, the "original" circuit has a virtual ground as well (2 resistors & 2 caps), I guess your saying you prefer the "buffered virtual ground"?

I'm using .47 as the input caps based on this: [size=x-small]"As for the input caps (C2), a larger cap will improve bass handling, but it's by a different mechanism than with larger power caps. See the companion article, Input Capacitors for Headphone Amps for a full discussion. Bottom line, the default 0.1 µF is a bit on the low side. Try 0.22 µF, 0.47 µF, or even 1.0 µF instead."[/size]

Cool, I was thinking that 2x 9V might be hard to fit as well.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 17
Yes, 2x9V is hard to fit in a mint tin... I've seen it done, but never tried it myself.

If you use the "TLE2426-Based Virtual Ground (Noise Reduction Version)", you might want another DIP-8 socket since the TLE2426 that has the noise reduction pin on it is a DIP-8 package instead of a TO92. I personally just replace the two stock virtual ground resistors in the stock Cmoy build with a TO92 TLE2426 and go with that (you would need another 470uf cap to do this).

One other thing I would consider is using the Alps 097 pot that Tangent sells with the switch. This cleans things up a bit, as you don't need a separate power switch, and the pot is somewhat smaller and to me works better than the Panasonic pot does.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, 2x9V is hard to fit in a mint tin... I've seen it done, but never tried it myself.

If you use the "TLE2426-Based Virtual Ground (Noise Reduction Version)", you might want another DIP-8 socket since the TLE2426 that has the noise reduction pin on it is a DIP-8 package instead of a TO92. I personally just replace the two stock virtual ground resistors in the stock Cmoy build with a TO92 TLE2426 and go with that (you would need another 470uf cap to do this).

One other thing I would consider is using the Alps 097 pot that Tangent sells with the switch. This cleans things up a bit, as you don't need a separate power switch, and the pot is somewhat smaller and to me works better than the Panasonic pot does.

So the "extra" noise reduction isn't really worth it I'm guessing?

Sep 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 17
So here's my schematic of the PS, a combination of the "original" cmoy and with a "improved virtual ground TLE-2426" circuit:

CMOY_PS_1.jpg

So my question is, for C1 does it hold true to make it a larger capacitor (vs. 220uF) for improved bass response?

Second what is the capacitance of CNR is it actually 1uF? Based from this drawing (original):

tle2426cp.png

Also is there any benefit to running pin 8, so called the "noise reduction pin"? Since I could get away with a three pin 2426 (TO92-3).

Or is there an improved circuit, that is fairly simple and can fit in the confines of a mint tin? Any tips would be helpful.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 17
Bad form, quoting myself...

Quote:

<snip>
I personally just replace the two stock virtual ground resistors in the stock Cmoy build with a TO92 TLE2426 and go with that (you would need another 470uf cap to do this).
<snip>

Oct 1, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 17
Yes, that is how I have done them. The TLE (TO92 case) drops right in (at an angle) in place of the two resistors in Tangent's diagrams. MisterX posted a picture of it at one time that you might be able to find.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Yes, that is how I have done them. The TLE (TO92 case) drops right in (at an angle) in place of the two resistors in Tangent's diagrams. MisterX posted a picture of it at one time that you might be able to find.

Thanks, now my build is underway
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 17
Well I've soldered up the PS so far and I think I have a problem, when apply a 9V (~8.4V) battery to the PS... for one the TLE2426 gets really hot (not sure if thats normal). Second when I measure the voltage at each leg, I getting 4.95V and 2.57V which added is the same as the battery V when its connected to the PS. However each leg is far off....

Even when I attached an external 12V DC PS, I was getting ~10V & 2V on the legs. Is the TLE damaged? Should I have the Caps before the TLE in the circuit. I've wired it just like the schematic in my first post.

Oct 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #15 of 17
Check all your solder joints with a magnifier looking for shorts and be sure none of the capacitors are in reversed position.

Note: I used the 2 resistor voltage divider as in CMoy 's original schematic and have no issue with noise in the amplified signal.

F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back