Help with DAC to Buy
Sep 28, 2015 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

louisjames

New Head-Fier
Usual type of post but I've now put my short list together and wanted to get some opinions. I'm also not necessarily looking for a headphone amp DAC, though it's a nice to have. So why post on Head-Fi? Simply put, the reviews and posts I've read here have been some of the best and even though I'll only be using my "lowly and ancient" AK 240DF's from time to time, I think you folks here can help me out.  Especially as I need to make the right decision the first time due to budget concerns.

I started off in the $500 range and was able to try a Bifrost and an iFi Nano DSD with my system. While they sounded good I didn't hear enough of a difference from my long-in-the-tooth Lynx Studio Lynx One card (using both the analog outs and digital outs via a converter I have). Have decided that due to my preamp (McIntosh C2200), amp (McIntosh MC7300) and speakers (Tannoy GRF w/ MG's) that I should look higher up the chain. I can't spend in the $1500-2K or up range so think that going into the $1200 range would be a good choice between budget and sound quality. The only one under this range would be the Audio-gd DAC-19 10th Anniversary w/ Amanero which is on the short list due to the PCM 1704 chip, which I'm told has a more natural sound than the ESS. DSD is a nice to have but not a must-have as the majority of my source files are 16 or 24 bit Wav. Based on my short list below I'm looking for real-world feedback in terms of sound quality first and one neither "too warm" or too clinical (heard the Benchmark DAC 1 and 2 and thought it a bit too crisp for my system which is already somewhat forward given the Tannoys):

Anedio D2- $1250
Mytek 192 DSD - $1300
Yulong D8 - $1350
Matrix X-Sabre - $1099
Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit - $1295
Audio-gd DAC-19 10th Anniversary w/ Amanero - $900
Dangerous Audio Source $899

The two outliers that look interesting are the soon to come (?) iFi iDSD Pro and Dangerous Audio Source. I've used Dangerous Audio gear for recording / mastering and am very impressed with it. The Source seems a great deal and includes a solid headphone amp too. And as the iFi Pro is yet to be released that's probably something best left to conjecture. Finally, if there are others I should be looking at and need to expand my short list please let me know.

Thanks in advance
lj

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 5
The only ones on your list that I know is DAC 19 and GMB. Here's a comparrison: http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go/1005#post_11872598

I have the DAC 19 and it's amazing for the price. No idea how it compares to the other ones though.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 5
For the PCM1704/R2R options, the DAC-19 is great for SE, the GMB for balanced. Those certainly wouldn't sound clinical. Audio-GD's ESS DACs are some of the smoother ones around, as another option.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you for the replies. I'm not sure that balanced vs. SE would make a real difference and the $ between the DAC19 and the GMB is enough to make the less expensive option look good. The bigger question for me will be how it sounds in the system and if the more forward sound of the Schiit with the Tannoy's would become grating. Especially as not all of the source material I have it best quality. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III + new tubes + capacitor and wire upgrade is the route I'm going.  It's in a similar price range compared to the DACs you're looking at.  I trust Jolida's build quality than many other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back