Help with choosing headphones in $100-$150 range?
Aug 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #31 of 76
Quote:
I don't understand why that is funny since this thread is not about headphones for you.
confused.gif

But those headphones don't sound anything like Grados for metal and rock. Safe? Maybe, but it's not that expensive to demo a pair by buying from Amazon. Meanwhile, the SQ of the MA900 and HD558 would be inferior for those genres, in many people's opinions.

Hmph.  I said it was funny because i didn't recommend them...  Well anyway, I have some SR80i's  and nope, i prefer the MA900 for rock.  Plus i can only wear them for like 45min.  The only grados he can afford would be the SR80i or SR125i which apparently sound fairly similar so id choose the MA900 for rock/metal.  SR225i may be a little different though. 

I said they're safe because most people that get them like them (the same can not be said for grados). Plus there's absolutely no question that they're more comfortable, and they have a very nice, wide sound stage.

Aug 23, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #33 of 76
Hmph.  I said it was funny because i didn't recommend them...  Well anyway, I have some SR80i's  and nope, i prefer the MA900 for rock.  Plus i can only wear them for like 45min.  The only grados he can afford would be the SR80i or SR125i which apparently sound fairly similar so id choose the MA900 for rock/metal.  SR225i may be a little different though. 

I said they're safe because most people that get them like them (the same can not be said for grados). Plus there's absolutely no question that they're more comfortable, and they have a very nice, wide sound stage.

Sorry. For some reason I thought you were being snarky :xf_eek:

I don't know if that's true about any headphone, though. All headphones have people that both like or dislike them as far as sound signature and fit. Personally, I find the Senns a little dark. And depending on how much bass someones is looking for, they could easily be dissatisfied with the MA900s because of the lack of sub bass. There's just really no "safe" headphone out there.

Aug 24, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #36 of 76
I have yet to use an iPod specific DAC, but I have used a couple different amps connected via a LOD cable.  I've loved using my E11 amp, and that was without a DAC so I wouldn't necessarily stress over a DAC at this point, just my opinion.

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #37 of 76
Quote:
maybe a DAC/amp combo would be best? would the Fiio e10 be sufficient enough for the a900x? I'm seeing these things can get pretty expensive.

Not at all, a Fiio e11 fed through a iPod LOD L1 is MORE than enough for the Ath a900x 

Aug 25, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #38 of 76
Quote:
Maybe a DAC/amp combo would be best? would the Fiio E10 be sufficient enough for the A900X? I'm seeing these things can get pretty expensive.

The Fiio E10 is digital USB input and also powered by it's USB port.
Which will work fine with a laptop, but will not work with an iPhone or iPod.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #39 of 76
I'm looking to use it more with my laptop, so that's fine. so from what I understand, the e10 will power the audio instead of my crappy onboard audio since it is also a DAC?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:
I'm looking to use it more with my laptop, so that's fine. so from what I understand, the e10 will power the audio instead of my crappy onboard audio since it is also a DAC?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

The Fiio E10 is a USB input, DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) & headphone amplifier.
(and is also powered by the source computer's USB port)
So the laptop will output a digital audio signal thru the USB into the E10's DAC chip,
then output the analog audio signal with a headphone amplifier with a really low output impedance :)
Using USB will bypass the laptop's on-board audio, which is not a problem as long as your were just going to use it for 2-channel stereo audio, like music.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #42 of 76
Quote:
How do you think those a900x would work with hip hop?

I do, it's got a nice bass, and very good highs. In addition the mids have a nice attack which is going to make the deeper vocals that most Hip Hop vocalists have sound very nice.

I owned the ath a900x and I enjoyed it with Nu Jazz and some underground Hip Hop my self! 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 76
Quote:
I do, it's got a nice bass, and very good highs. In addition the mids have a nice attack which is going to make the deeper vocals that most Hip Hop vocalists have sound very nice.

I owned the ath a900x and I enjoyed it with Nu Jazz and some underground Hip Hop my self! 

Why don't you have them if you don't mind me asking? I found them for $125 factory refurbished, but I'm a bit skeptical that they may be defective

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #44 of 76
Quote:
Why don't you have them if you don't mind me asking? I found them for $125 factory refurbished, but I'm a bit skeptical that they may be defective

I bought mine $93 used on ebay, but I own a Refrubished Audio Technica ATH w1000x, ATH does a good job of refrubishing thier headphones, you should have no worries buying them

and why don't I have them xD

I have instead the

Beyer Dt 880 Premium 600 ohm [Fully Balanced Recable [Includes SE adapter] by Zombie_x] MSRP $500
Purrin Modded Audio Technica w1000x [With L3000 Pads] MSRP $620
Akg K550 $160 [used]

I got both of those at about half their MSRP :D 

So I was orignally planning to get a portable set up with the Dx50 Jds Labs C5 and K550 , but I've instead went to a Hifiman Hm 801, that being said I'm considering useing my Beyers Portably as the C5 has plenty of power to drive them sufficently well and that BurBrown PCM Dac in the Hifiman Hm801 really deserves to be driving something better than an Akg K550

So when I got the Ath a900x, it prefered the K550 to it, although I'm now considering selling the K550 as well lol 

Basically, I've upgraded a good bit past the audio quality of the Ath a900x [and K550 tbh] 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:
I bought mine $93 used on ebay, but I own a Refrubished Audio Technica ATH w1000x, ATH does a good job of refrubishing thier headphones, you should have no worries buying them

and why don't I have them xD

I have instead the

Beyer Dt 880 Premium 600 ohm [Fully Balanced Recable [Includes SE adapter] by Zombie_x] MSRP $500
Purrin Modded Audio Technica w1000x [With L3000 Pads] MSRP $620
Akg K550 $160 [used]

I got both of those at about half their MSRP :D 

So I was orignally planning to get a portable set up with the Dx50 Jds Labs C5 and K550 , but I've instead went to a Hifiman Hm 801, that being said I'm considering useing my Beyers Portably as the C5 has plenty of power to drive them sufficently well and that BurBrown PCM Dac in the Hifiman Hm801 really deserves to be driving something better than an Akg K550

So when I got the Ath a900x, it prefered the K550 to it, although I'm now considering selling the K550 as well lol 

Basically, I've upgraded a good bit past the audio quality of the Ath a900x [and K550 tbh] 

Oh wow :xf_eek:, for $125 could you think of any other headphone better than the a900x? I might pull the trigger on those

Users who are viewing this thread

Back