Help with choosing between Mad Dog Pro, Alpha Dog, and Alpha Prime?
Sep 2, 2015 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jason2406

New Head-Fier
Hello,

This is my first post on Head-fi, although I've been reading here for quite some time. I am preparing to make some purchases to (hopefully) greatly improve my listening experience while working at my desk. This is a desk in a corporate office, not my home.

Right now, I listen using either my iPod classic or my iPhone 5S as the source and I use Shure srh440, AKG 272 HD, or Audio-Technica ATHM50X headphones. If using the AKG's, I use a Headroom Total Airhead amp.

I've purchsed a Cambridge Audio Sonata CD30 that I plan to use as my new primary source, although I still intend to use the Idevices as well.

I've pretty much decided to purchase a Schiit Modi 2 Uber, and either a Magni 2 Uber or an Asgard 2.

I've also more or less decided that I want to try a MrSpeakers closed headphone, especially since they are going to stop being produced.

I'm trying to decide which one is going to be the best fit for me. I always like the idea of going for the best, and if I push my budget a little, I can probably swing the Alpha Prime's. I just want to make sure that if I do, I'm not going to be dissapointed with the sound signature.

Of the three phones I use now, I prefer them in this order - Shure (I forgot to mention I have the 840 pads on them), M50x, AKG.

The AKG is to bass lean and sharp on top end, the M50 is a little muddy. I also think the Shure's are physically most comfortable.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 9
what about the shure srh440 do you like best?

Sep 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #4 of 9
In comparison to the other phones I have, I feel like it's not as sharp on the high end as the AKG's (which can be fatiguing to me) and it seems cleaner on the low end than the M50x. I like that the M50x has a bit more bass punch, but it's a little loose and muddy. Also, the Shure is just much more comfortable to wear for any lengthy amount of time. I think vocals sound better to me on the Shure's than the M50x, though not quite as crisp as the AKG.

I'm probably way off on what I hear. I am no audiophile and don't really fully understand most of the jargon that a lot of folks here use so I apologize if this isn't as specific as it could be.

I mostly listen to alternative/rock music. Heavily played favorites include: the Cure, NIN, Tool, Pearl Jam, Beck, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Iron and Wine, Soundgarden, Ben Harper, R.E.M., Public Enemy, White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Counting Crows, STP, Dead Can Dance, Joy Division, Jimmy eat World, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, and Otis Redding

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 9
In comparison to the other phones I have, I feel like it's not as sharp on the high end as the AKG's (which can be fatiguing to me) and it seems cleaner on the low end than the M50x. I like that the M50x has a bit more bass punch, but it's a little loose and muddy. Also, the Shure is just much more comfortable to wear for any lengthy amount of time. I think vocals sound better to me on the Shure's than the M50x, though not quite as crisp as the AKG.

I'm probably way off on what I hear. I am no audiophile and don't really fully understand most of the jargon that a lot of folks here use so I apologize if this isn't as specific as it could be.

I mostly listen to alternative/rock music. Heavily played favorites include: the Cure, NIN, Tool, Pearl Jam, Beck, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Iron and Wine, Soundgarden, Ben Harper, R.E.M., Public Enemy, White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Counting Crows, STP, Dead Can Dance, Joy Division, Jimmy eat World, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, and Otis Redding

If the AKGs are too fatigueing, then the alpha dogs and alpha primes may be as well. There are doggie treats to tame the treble, but you may even like the visceral bass of the mad dogs a bit more. If you can, the Lcd 2 may be worth checking out as well. I love my alpha dogs, but you may not and that is perfectly fine. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #6 of 9
I'm not personally familiar with the LCD 2, but isn't that an open headphone? Due to the office environment, I want to stick with closed phones.

The treble issue on the AKG's is kind of a strange thing in that it only bothers me once in a while. Honestly, if they weren't so flat in the bass and didn't clamp so tight on my head, I'd probably listen to them more.

Sep 5, 2015 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 9
I have the Alpha Dogs and it's extremely hard to imagine the Alpha Primes being noticeably better..................however people have posted that the Alpha Primes have even more clarity and a wider soundstage which to me seems almost impossible. Alpha Dogs are my favorite headphones, but imaging them with an even wider soundstage is digging at me. 

I travel with Alpha Dogs and everyone I let hear them goes "wow!" or "what are THESE?" You immediately hear the step up in quality and clarity with Alpha Dogs and I'd imagine you'd hear it even more with the Primes.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 9
I'm not personally familiar with the LCD 2, but isn't that an open headphone? Due to the office environment, I want to stick with closed phones.

The treble issue on the AKG's is kind of a strange thing in that it only bothers me once in a while. Honestly, if they weren't so flat in the bass and didn't clamp so tight on my head, I'd probably listen to them more.

Oh right. What a bummer, I think the lcd 2 would be a perfect match for you.

Sep 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #9 of 9
Primes if you can afford em. They look straight up funky on your noodle and IMO aren't something I'd tote around back and forth to the office let alone leave there. So I'm gonna keep my Primes at home and give the Oppo PM3s a go for $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back