help with Choosing Again!?
Oct 17, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mOOOp64

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm back and in my last thread I was wondering what headphone I would be best for me but someone mentioned that I should get the sinnheiser IE8 because of my love of bass. So I changed my mind of getting a full sized headphone to more of custom IEM. So I was wondering should I get the Sinnheiser IE8 with custom tips or a pair of Shure's with custom tips or etc. Then, I was thinking an accual custom IEM like the Unique Melody, or a pair of JH's. Now remember I love bass and thats very important to me. I hate to admit it but I like the Skullcrusher by Skullcandy just because the bass rattled my brain around. I also like a large sound stage. My price range is around $500 and please help me I don't know what to get!

Oct 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 28
sennheiser ie8 is great if you like bass, but they are quite expensive if you buy them in the usa. Even more expensive with custom tips/molds. For that price i would have gotten myself a "cheap" custom iem like the jh-5 pro (but it's a dual driver custom unlike the tripple driver ie8).

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:
but they are quite expensive if you buy them in the usa.

Not true, you can get refurbished for around 180, or authorized dealer on ebay called razordogdeals sells it for 275 + shipping.

IE8 is safe way to go if you like bass.

Oct 18, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 28
My bad on the high price.

To OP:
I know that you like bass, but what kind of music do you listen to ? I wouldn't buy the ie8 if you only like bass, due to it's flaws.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
but it's a dual driver custom unlike the tripple driver ie8

the IE8 is a dynamic driver (single driver)

Quote:
IE8 has poor isolation

isolation is poor yes, but not as bad as most seem to make it. also due to the fact that some experience poor fit which causes poor isolation. its the IE8's only weakness IMO. (plus the steep pricetag and useless tips they provide).

As you are getting custom sleeves for them, this fixes the problems that has been experienced with IE8s - isolation and fit. Theoretically should be a perfect iem

Quote:
Then, I was thinking an accual custom IEM like the Unique Melody, or a pair of JH's

I was in the exact same position a while back. it ends up being cheaper to get a pair of JH5's than a IE8+customs. only problem is that you customs provide different experiences for different people and there is not as much information to make a decision on the JH5's - but from what i have heard from some owners is that it is the shiz and they should blow your mind.. but thats what every owner would say i guess

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 28
Wow thanks for the information and the sinnheiser IE8's by RazorDogDeals2008 are only $275 that is not expensive. So is there any other IEM with custom tips with alot of bass that could even compeat with a real Custom IEM. I was looking into the Unique Melody Mage because the 4 drivers at a good price, but the reveiws are faint and I love alot of bass and every time I mention that at least 1 Headfi-er mentions the IE8 for a bassy IEM. Any more helpful information is well appreciated and Ill look into more reccomendations if there are any that fits me. I also look into normal IEM's but I am 100% sure that I am getting custom tips if not a Custom IEM.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 28
That's because they can produce a lot of bass, even too much for some. But it's a more boomy kind of bass than a very punchy hard-hitting kind, it depends on your taste.

Quote:
I was looking into the Unique Melody Mage because the 4 drivers at a good price, but the reveiws are faint and I love alot of bass and every time I mention that at least 1 Headfi-er mentions the IE8 for a bassy IEM.

Oct 19, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 28
Westone 3, JVC FX700( large soundstage) are bass heavy IEMs but more detailed in mids and highs than IE8.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #11 of 28
Its hard to find information of the sound signatures of customs and/or a clear consensus of their strengths & weaknesses like universals.. so its hard to judge how they would suit specific needs, which is the reason why i just went with the senns and now getting customs for them. I just thought its the safest option - i knew it had the characteristics i wanted - impactful bass, wide soundstage, unfatiguing (very important - i hate cold shrill or harshness). It just had poor isolation

Maybe it would be best to get a custom with a similar signature as to the ie8?

Anyone out there know if there a custom that delivers the same characteristics as ie8 but just with a better experience?

maybe a reshelled ie8? lol no thats just silly.

Oct 19, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #12 of 28
I was told that custom sleeves would change the sound signature of the IEMs too, generally increases the bass response, probably due to better seal, do you find that with yours?

Quote:
Its hard to find information of the sound signatures of customs and/or a clear consensus of their strengths & weaknesses like universals.. so its hard to judge how they would suit specific needs, which is the reason why i just went with the senns and now getting customs for them. I just thought its the safest option - i knew it had the characteristics i wanted - impactful bass, wide soundstage, unfatiguing (very important - i hate cold shrill or harshness). It just had poor isolation

Maybe it would be best to get a custom with a similar signature as to the ie8?

Anyone out there know if there a custom that delivers the same characteristics as ie8 but just with a better experience?

maybe a reshelled ie8? lol no thats just silly.

Oct 19, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 28
My mistake on the triple driver part.
I didn't say that the isolation was poor in general but that the isolation of the ie8 is poor compared to all of the other iems that i own.

As for the flaws :I think that ie8 is too laid back for my taste, the ie8 will probably sound not that good till 100+ hours of burn in, the housing might be uncomfortable for some people because of it's shape (it's still better than the triple fi 10 though).

@mr_diza : from what i have read, there is a custom iem with lot's of bass, high detail and a wide soundstage, the jh-16 pro.

Oct 20, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
I was told that custom sleeves would change the sound signature of the IEMs too, generally increases the bass response, probably due to better seal, do you find that with yours?

I will tell you in 5 days when i get them in the post
smile_phones.gif

Thats what i was told aswell, + an extension on its already wide soundstage

Quote:
@mr_diza : from what i have read, there is a custom iem with lot's of bass, high detail and a wide soundstage, the jh-16 pro.

Oh okay cool. but i would expect as much from a $1150 iem lol. Do you know anything about the soundstage of a jh5 compared to ie8? i think thats a more comparable example

Users who are viewing this thread

Back