Help with choosing a SS amp
Sep 12, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dgbiker1

500+ Head-Fier
I was originally planning on building a Beta 22, but I have to undergo some scope revisions to cut costs a bit if I ever want my solid state amp. I still don't have a very good grasp of the DIY offerings other than the Beta 22 that are solid state, it seems tube amps are all the rage in DIY.

So my question is: For SS amps, what is considered one step down from the Beta? Two steps? I've looked at the M^3, CK2III, and the PPAv2.

The amp will be driven primarily by my Opus, and powering K701s and SR225s.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So my question is: For SS amps, what is considered one step down from the Beta? Two steps? I've looked at the M^3, CK2III, and the PPAv2.

The amp will be driven primarily by my Opus, and powering K701s and SR225s.

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

How about a balanced CK2III? great performance with minimum investment.

Sep 12, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are the gilmore offerings as well, dynalo/dynahi, as well as the miniature pimeta and mini3.

I should elaborate, I am looking for a desktop amp (already have the mini and love it for portable use). Thanks for the dynahi/lo suggestion, I'll check those out.

Sep 12, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 8
The Dynahi is not that much of a "step down", kind of a "step to the side" and requires custom milled heatsinks which makes it harder to build. It can be easily powered from the Sigma22 instead of the Dynahi PSU, again for ease of build.

Dynalo is very nice, just add good dual PSU, Sigma22 again for overkill but something like 2x TREAD is pretty sweet.

As always, I love the PPAv2 and recommend AD825 opamps.

Sep 12, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 8
My vote goes for the CK²III. I have built two and they sound fantastic. Although I've never done a side-by-side with my ß22, I've never been listening to my CK²III and thought 'Gee, I sure wish I was plugged into the ß22, it sounds better'. It's also very easy on your wallet compared to the Beta, especially if you get one of Jeff Rossel's kits and only pay shipping once.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 8
So would you say the CK2III ranks higher than the M3?
The Dynahi is too expensive and I'd like to have an active ground channel, so I'm leaning back towards the CK2III.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #8 of 8
You might be surprised just how good it can be without the active ground, if you go for the CKKIII.
biggrin.gif

It's often difficult to assess which of 2 or more amps is 'the best', as it's so subjective.

Like Moodysteve, I have a Beta22 which is currently in the process of being re-housed, but I don't miss it.

I'm currently using my MMax, but when I compared to the CKKIII, there was very little difference between them.

In fact, I would say, if anything, the CKKIII sounded better overall.

I would expect the M3 to be very good, too, but at a significantly higher cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back