help with CA Dacmagic
Oct 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DougHiggs

New Head-Fier
I purchased Cambridge audio DACmagic and some new audio cables today, however the sound is now insanley quiet, even on full volume it's barley audible. The drivers have installed correctly and the volume is up on the computer also.My speakers are Audioengine a5s and I'm just running the DAC through my computer via USB.

Please any help would be great this is really frustrating me.

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
I purchased Cambridge audio DACmagic and some new audio cables today, however the sound is now insanley quiet, even on full volume it's barley audible. The drivers have installed correctly and the volume is up on the computer also.My speakers are Audioengine a5s and I'm just running the DAC through my computer via USB.

Please any help would be great this is really frustrating me.

Hi Doug

Iirc, the DacMagic doesn't need any drivers to be installed so please clarify.

It would help to know what OS, player and files you are playing (e.g FLAC).

Have you tried your old cables?

Recheck the connections and cables to and from the DAC are ok. 

Try the DacMagic in another system (it could be faulty).

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 16
Wait a second, are you using 7 or Vista? The drivers installed automatically for the DACMagic on either operating system are incorrect. The correct ones can be found on the CA website.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
And on the front of the DacMagic you have selected USB input right?

Yup, definitly on USB input.

Quote:
Wait a second, are you using 7 or Vista? The drivers installed automatically for the DACMagic on either operating system are incorrect. The correct ones can be found on the CA website.

I'm using 7, I've read something about the wrong drivers but can't find the right ones for 7 on the website. The only post I can find with a link is some for Vista which was posted in 2009. Does anyone have a link to them?

Cheers for the answers.

Oct 11, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 16
Oct 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok I tried the DAC on my other stack system. Works fine. Actually more than fine, it sounds amazing! So unfortunatly it is a problem with Windows 7. I think I may just buy a decent soundcard with an optical port, should improve the quality aswell.

Can anyone reccomend a cheap(ish) soundcard with 5.1 and TOSlink inputs?

Thanks all for the help.

Doug.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 16
I am currently emailing the support team at Cambridge audio about it, they should get back to me tomorrow about it now they know it's a software problem.If I cannot find a solution I think buying a cheap sound card with digital inputs will be the only way really... but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks again.

Oct 17, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 16
Blast! was just checking, i do that kind of thing all the time.
What drivers are you using? I've got mine just going through the realtek (not sure if that's quite right) audio software built into the computer and it works a treat.
HAve you heard back from cambridge about it?

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Blast! was just checking, i do that kind of thing all the time.
What drivers are you using? I've got mine just going through the realtek (not sure if that's quite right) audio software built into the computer and it works a treat.
Have you heard back from Cambridge about it?

I'm using the drivers posted earlier in this thread, but before that it automatically installed drivers which I tried as well. And no still waiting to hear back. Hopefully should be some time today. I hate the feeling of buying an expensive piece of kit and not being able to use it  
mad.gif

EDIT: Thinking of going down the soundcrad route anyway as I only have a very cheap 5.1 sound card at the moment. I have a pair of Roccat Kave 5.1 headphones that I use for gaming (I use them quite alot) and at the moment they don't sound as good as I think they could. Thinking of buying this: http://www.ebuyer.com/129740-creative-soundblaster-x-fi-xtreme-audio-pci-express-oem-30sb104200000

It's still relatively cheap but should me miles better than what I have right now. opinions?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back