Help with burning DVDs
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to burn a few videos to dvd, and I did successfully burn one yesterday, but it has some problems. It was an .avi file and I used total video converter to convert it to mpeg-4, but when watching the dvd if I rewind the video it only moves at 1/2 a second at a time, which is really, really slow. Is there something wrong with the format I converted it to or the program I used to convert it?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 14
You know that you don't have to rewind DVDs right?

Mar 25, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know that you don't have to rewind DVDs right?

600107-oh_you_super.jpg

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Use something that knows how to build DVDs.

Also, learn something about video.

"AVI" is a container. So are WMV and MKV. Containers are file formats that contain (get it?) any number of different streams, which can be encoded by just about any codec.

DVD uses the "vob" container. HD-DVD uses the "evob" container.

".mpg" files are either transport streams or program streams. Transport streams are like containers, except less container-ey. A transport stream typically includes one or more program streams. Audio and video each in their own program streams. I'm using the word "stream" a lot here because these are formats designed for streaming.

"mpeg 4" is a generic term used to refer to about a dozen different codecs, including xvid, h.264, and mpeg4-avc, just to name the most popular.

bluray, fwiw, uses a transport stream called "m2ts". the "ts" means "transport stream". That m2ts file can contain program streams encoded as h.264, vc-1, mpeg2, or mpeg4-avc. Confused yet?

So, you've got an avi (stands for "audio/video interleave" fwiw) and you want to play it on, what, a normal DVD player?

Normal DVD is mpeg2 video and mpeg2 audio (mp3 is mpeg1 audio, fwiw) in a VOB container.

If you have one of those "it plays anything" dvd players, see if it will play your AVI - but remember, "avi" is just a container file, and there could be anything at all inside it - the player for an avi has to both understand the avi container and understand the codecs used within your particular avi.

If this avi came from a digital camera, chances are the video codec is mjpeg and the audio is raw wav.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use something that knows how to build DVDs.

Also, learn something about video.

"AVI" is a container. So are WMV and MKV. Containers are file formats that contain (get it?) any number of different streams, which can be encoded by just about any codec.

DVD uses the "vob" container. HD-DVD uses the "evob" container.

".mpg" files are either transport streams or program streams. Transport streams are like containers, except less container-ey. A transport stream typically includes one or more program streams. Audio and video each in their own program streams. I'm using the word "stream" a lot here because these are formats designed for streaming.

"mpeg 4" is a generic term used to refer to about a dozen different codecs, including xvid, h.264, and mpeg4-avc, just to name the most popular.

bluray, fwiw, uses a transport stream called "m2ts". the "ts" means "transport stream". That m2ts file can contain program streams encoded as h.264, vc-1, mpeg2, or mpeg4-avc. Confused yet?

So, you've got an avi (stands for "audio/video interleave" fwiw) and you want to play it on, what, a normal DVD player?

Normal DVD is mpeg2 video and mpeg2 audio (mp3 is mpeg1 audio, fwiw) in a VOB container.

If you have one of those "it plays anything" dvd players, see if it will play your AVI - but remember, "avi" is just a container file, and there could be anything at all inside it - the player for an avi has to both understand the avi container and understand the codecs used within your particular avi.

If this avi came from a digital camera, chances are the video codec is mjpeg and the audio is raw wav.

I have the .avi files on my computer, and I was trying to use windows dvd maker to burn them to disk, but for some reason it can't burn them if they are avi. So I used the video converter I mentioned to convert it to a dvd file, which the program said it converted it to mpeg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried DVD Flick? It's a pretty slick app for converting video to DVD.

Can I use this program just to encode the file? I wanted to use windows dvd maker for creating the actual disk.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clincher09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the .avi files on my computer, and I was trying to use windows dvd maker to burn them to disk, but for some reason it can't burn them if they are avi. So I used the video converter I mentioned to convert it to a dvd file, which the program said it converted it to mpeg.

Can I use this program just to encode the file? I wanted to use windows dvd maker for creating the actual disk.

DVD Flick will convert and burn (or create a disk image file) for you. You can set up chapters, menus, and all sorts of stuff with the app. Best of all, it's free! So try it out, it's pretty dang sweet.

Mar 28, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by floydenheimer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DVD Flick will convert and burn (or create a disk image file) for you. You can set up chapters, menus, and all sorts of stuff with the app. Best of all, it's free! So try it out, it's pretty dang sweet.

I used the program and told it to make a dvd, and it encoded the file but it didn't burn it onto disk, and I don't see any options to burn to disk.

Mar 28, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 14
I hate when people use my DVDs and they dont rewind them, its so rude!!!
eek.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh??

When DVDs were first available at Blockbuster (1996/1997) they put "Be Kind- Rewind!" stickers specially designed to fit around the spindle hole on all their disks. Then again, the manager hadn't even heard of DVDs when we first went there to try to rent one.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back