Help with ATH-CK10 in ear monitor re-cabling or self repair
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Narc

Head-Fier
My beloved CK10s have bit the dust but I still hold out hopes of fixing them. They are discontinued and no new pairs available. The left monitor was choppy for a while, but could be corrected by fiddling with the cable at the monitor head, strongly suggesting that the issue was a faulty wire connection in the monitor. But now it's completely out. I had a look in the jack and even replaced it just to be sure but no dice. It's definitely not the filters as they are still in great condition as this pair had maybe only two years of use from out of the box as these were a backup pair. So, it's highly likely that the wire needs re-soldering inside the monitor housing.

I removed the housing cap and everything looks packed so tight in there. I can't even see the wires, never mind try and re-solder and it also looks nigh on impossible to remove the monitor from the housing without cutting the plastic housing open. I could possibly try and surgically cut open the housing, re-solder, then glue it back together. However, I wanted to ask if anyone had done this with similar IEMs and had any tips.

I could also just get them re-cabelled professionally. Has anyone done that? Any advice on this or the attempted repair is appreciated.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi does the CK10 have a non detachable cable? I'm not familiar with this set, but it sounds like a cable issue to me.

I had 2 IEMs with non detachable cables in the past that failed at the cable insertion to the IEM shell, which seems to be the usual point of failure. They had the same symptoms as your set, if u fiddle with the cable, sound intermittently comes back.
One was a midfi westone 3 that I bought at $300 USD previously, but it was out of warranty. I sent both for a MMCX mod by a professional customs shell maker. And if works perfectly fine to this day. Anyway, no more non detachable cable IEMs for me after this.

I've no technical skills to resolder and do MMCX mods, but maybe if you do it is worth a try.
Recabling I think is cheaper and simpler. But I figured to prevent recurrance of the cable failing, I would just go with a MMCX mod.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi does the CK10 have a non detachable cable? I'm not familiar with this set, but it sounds like a cable issue to me.

I had 2 IEMs with non detachable cables in the past that failed at the cable insertion to the IEM shell, which seems to be the usual point of failure. They had the same symptoms as your set, if u fiddle with the cable, sound intermittently comes back.
One was a midfi westone 3 that I bought at $300 USD previously, but it was out of warranty. I sent both for a MMCX mod by a professional customs shell maker. And if works perfectly fine to this day. Anyway, no more non detachable cable IEMs for me after this.

I've no technical skills to resolder and do MMCX mods, but maybe if you do it is worth a try.
Recabling I think is cheaper and simpler. But I figured to prevent recurrance of the cable failing, I would just go with a MMCX mod.

Yes, unfortunately they are not detachable. My soldering skills are decent, it's just that I'll need to cut open the housing to get at the cables. I might try and do this after leaving this thread going for a couple days. I don't really have many more options other than getting a pro to do it. The only thing stopping me from doing it myself is the worry that I might damage the monitor in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back