help with another headphone
Nov 8, 2009 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

utkusu

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, Damn you ALL!
smily_headphones1.gif
I was so happy listening to my sony fontopia headphones and now because of this forum (and some other twists of fate), I catch myself dreaming about 200 dollar headphones and other audio stuff. I almost bought 250$ audioengine2's and my fiance stopped me by reminding me that I am just a poor grad student. So I will stick to my KSC75's and newly ordered RE2+Fiio E5 combo. Still, I had no idea there is something called "headphone amplifier" two-three weeks ago.

Jokes aside, I really like this forum, people were most kind and helpful in my previous purchase. Now, I am trying to get some earphones for my fiance. I was hoping to get some direction from you guys. Here is a list of things that we need:

* She does not care how they sound , but I do. I want her to get used to decent headphones so she understands it when I drop couple hundred bucks to audio equipment
smily_headphones1.gif

* She wants earphones (buds). She hates both KSC-75 ("they are too big") and EP-630 (microphonics and "too much into my ear") I would get her the PK3's but because she has giant ear openings, earphones usually don't fit well. She used to have Roots (!!!) headphones with a clip to alleviate that problem. So we need them to have some sort of clip or something else to help to keep the earbud in her ears.

* Nothing to expensive (30-40 CAD tops) and hopefully easily available in Canada.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Nov 8, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 5
So... you've eliminated supraaurals, IEMs, and conventional earbuds? There really isn't much left - just the senn sports line and a few oddball phones such as the Koss KDE250 (and the Skullcandy Chops - bleh). Most of those aren't talked about on head-fi a while lot. I remember someone asking about earbuds with a headband once, and getting next to no responses.

On the IEM note, my gf hates conventional "barrel-style" IEMs, but she loves her Soundmagic PL30s. They are quite shallow insertion and don't suffer at all from microphonics. I had her use the included ear guides for a little while until she got used to wearing them over-the-ear. The Ai-M6 are in a similar vein and sound a lot better, but can be much harder to insert due to the memory wire.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks. Yeah, it seems like we have a limited number of options. Probably sennheisers are better than roots!

By the way, I saw this B&O A8 in this list:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/e...und-up-441400/

They are quite out of out price range. But if you guys a cheap way of getting these or ones that are similar, that would be great

cheers,

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 5
This is probaly 1.5x your price range. Sony MDR-E888 buds. I love the the sound, great mids, crisp detailed highs, and acceptable low end for a bud.

The upside, they have huge 16mm drivers. So these are large saucer shaped buds well-suited for larger sized ears, I eventually sent mine's back because my left ear is not big enough to comfortably hold these.

SQ is great, you'll need burn in on these too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back