Help with a reference audiophile grade setup
Apr 10, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #76 of 82
I finally got my K702 (Yes, I swapped the K701 for the K702 which is why it took so long).

Setup:
#1 Creative Muvo ---> K702
#2 Creative Muvo ---> Emotiva RSP-1 ---> K702
#3 Creative Muvo ---> Onkyo 805 ---> K702

Before I say anything else, let me say that:
•I have only heard a few tracks on these for 15/20 minutes max across all the 3 setups above which means even less time for each of the above setup
•As you can tell, I haven’t set these up correctly yet. The above combinations were merely to get the phones playing quick!

#1 Creative Muvo ---> K702
These appear to have a good open sound stage with a near natural sound though it is slightly inclined towards the highs. The bass is pretty lean for my tastes though and that makes it sound a bit dry as well. The separation is there but can be better (it’s probably the source, setup and no burn-in yet). As for the soundstage, honestly, I am confused. It’s deeper but at times I feel its more vertical than wider, I don’t know….I need more time.

#2 Creative Muvo ---> Emotiva RSP-1 ---> K702
I have a problem in this setup. The sound signal is bleeding into the main L/R loud speakers even with the HP jack on the Emotiva RSP-1 completely engaged. I have tried reseating the plug a few times but the same issue (and I know it’s not the plug, because I don’t have any such issues with my Onkyo 805). I will be working with Emotiva to get this resolved soon.

But even with the RSP-1 issue, the overall impression was same or better as that of the #1.

#3 Creative Muvo ---> Onkyo 805 ---> K702

The first impression on the Onkyo was Uuuhghh! So I won’t say much (or maybe I just did!) at this point. Need more time here.

Overall, though no wows yet (and my expectations are very high), I really like what I am hearing so far even with the minimal time I got to spend with these on the less than ideal setup. I did get an opportunity to listen very briefly to some Ultrasones (sorry, I didn’t really register the model as I hated these so much that I didn’t even bother) and DT880s and I like the K702s much better.

Again, please take everything with a grain of salt. And to those who might be scouring for feedback on the K702, please ignore everything I have said in this post as these are mere first impressions from a mere few minutes of listening. Look elsewhere for experienced feedback.

Now that I have the K702, I am looking at some of the amps out there and I think I like what I am reading about the WA6. The Channel Islands VHP-2 looks like a good amp as well, but I don’t know how much the VHP-2 costs and neither have I come across much opinions on these. I also don't know if either would be available in a balanced config. Another beginner amp I am looking at is the X-Head from AV123 but I am a bit skeptical about it after the problems with rev-1 of those. I haven’t seen any reviews about the Rev 2 of the X-Head anywhere so any pointers on these would be appreciated.

Anyway, once the RSP-1 issue is resolved, I will be doing a HTPC ---> Cambridge Audio 840c ---> RSP-1 ---> K702 setup as Emotiva claims a high current output on the HP jack on RSP-1. Maybe I won't need an amp.

Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

- Dinesh

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #77 of 82
Aah... finally!
k701smile.gif

Dinesh... My impressions with the K701 and Headroom Ultra Micro tell me that it is a very revealing headphone that uncovers both the 'good' and 'bad' in the source material...

The iPod/any portable player is NOT a good source IMHO...

I had mine hooked via headphone out and it was terribly noisy. (I know that I should have used dock line-out, but then most MP3 players, especially the 5.5G iPod doesn't have a true industry standard LINE-OUT)

A hifi CD player with a standard RCA line out to your headphone amplifier will sound way way better (my Cambridge 640C V2 sounds 100X better than the iPod when hooked to the Headroom can amp, I swear)

In my opinion, iPods/MP3 players are best enjoyed with IEMs and only a hifi CD player(even if it is a budget one) will mate well with high resolution cans like the K701 / DT880 / HD800 etc etc...

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #78 of 82
BT: I agree with you.

I am waiting on the necessary cabling for:
HTPC/Other Sources ---> Cambridge Audio 840c (Using DACs on this) ---> RSP-1 (Waiting on the resolution of the HP Jack issue with the RSP-1) ---> K702.

I am sure the above envisaged setup will sound much better than the Muvo.

The Muvo, as a source, was really to get these playing quick.

I am being told that the HP out on RSP-1 is high current, so I hope I won't need an amp. We will see.

Thanks again...

- Dinesh

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #79 of 82
Hey,

Two quick things - Let the K701s burn in for like two weeks straight before forming and opinion. Also, I've been reading a number of people who say they can't get the Woo WA6 loud enough with their K701s with their iPod as a source (but that this isn't an issue with more powerful sources), so you might have a problem with the Muvo -> WA6.

Give it some time, re-evaluate in a couple of weeks, then give some thought to what sort of amp you would like (and whether you want to upgrade your source as well).

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #80 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

Two quick things - Let the K701s burn in for like two weeks straight before forming and opinion. Also, I've been reading a number of people who say they can't get the Woo WA6 loud enough with their K701s with their iPod as a source (but that this isn't an issue with more powerful sources), so you might have a problem with the Muvo -> WA6.

Give it some time, re-evaluate in a couple of weeks, then give some thought to what sort of amp you would like (and whether you want to upgrade your source as well).

The Muvo can drive the phones pretty loud by itself. But I do have to max the volume on that.

I am burning the K702 on Muvo every night straight for 6 to 8 hours. Then giving them a rest the whole day.

For the most part, I would not be using the Muvo as the source.

My source will be lesser compressed audio files on the HTPC processed through the top notch DACs on the Cambridge Audio 840c. Other source would be CDs on the 840c. Both of these would feed into the RSP-1. I am sure this setup would sound really good over the Muvo driving the K702 directly.

I am trying to avoid an amp if possible. I don't listen at ear bleeding levels. So if I can get away with my sources/pre-amp on <80% of the volume gain, I should be fine.

Thanks again.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #81 of 82
Audiophile headphones shouldn't wow you.. The wow factor comes when you go back to your old headphones & realize what you were missing. I still feel the 501s would have been better for you.

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiophile headphones shouldn't wow you.. The wow factor comes when you go back to your old headphones & realize what you were missing.

I agree, though one can realize that coming from the old headphones to the K702 as well.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still feel the 501s would have been better for you.

Many seem to think so. I did look around on the used forum but didn't see one and I guess I was getting impatient. I will still watch out though and pick one up if the price is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back