Help with a limited budget, please?
Feb 20, 2010 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Mastershroom

New Head-Fier
Good evening. ^_^ This is my first post here on Head-Fi, so forgive me if I'm breaking any rules or posting this in the wrong place (and if you can't forgive me, at least don't yell too loud!
tongue.gif
)
Anyway, I suppose I'll make this clear from the start: I am not what you would call an audiophile. My knowledge of audio equipment and quality is pathetic at best.
frown.gif

Now that my $20 Koss headphones from four years ago have finally died (wires have come unsoldered inside the volume control pod, and I'm not interested in fixing it), I'm in the market for a good pair of stereo headphones. I prefer circumaural headphones, the kind with the cups that completely surround the ear. In-ear headphones are out of the question.

I would mostly use them for music; I've got a Razer Carcharias headset and Logitech Z-2300 speakers for gaming, movies and all that. The music would mostly be coming from my netbook and my iPod (64GB 3rd gen, if that matters), and primarily in 320kbps MP3 files, although I do some streaming via Pandora and Grooveshark as well. As for the actual content of the music, I'm kind of all over the place. The majority of my stuff is various forms of rock and metal (ska, punk rock, classic rock, melodeath, metalcore, symphonic metal, for example), but I've got a fair amount of classical/symphonic stuff (Tchaikovsky, Mozart, Beethoven, Holst, etc.), and a sprinkling of jazz of different sorts.

Also, if it's relevant, I don't have an amp, and quite frankly I have no idea what that even is, I just see it's a word being tossed around with high-quality headphones.
tongue.gif

Isolation isn't an issue, so open-ear designs as well as closed-ear are okay.

I feel that now is a good time to mention that I am a lowly unemployed college student, and I am pretty strictly limiting my budget to $70 for this.

I apologize if I'm asking the impossible here. Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone who helps! (or at least, to anyone who tells me I'm a delusional idiot, if that's the case!)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 42
Thanks for the welcome, MacedonianHero! That reminds me of my old home back in the suburbs of Ohio; the next town over from mine was called Macedonia.
tongue.gif
(sorry, I'll get back on topic now)

Anyway, I checked those out, and on Amazon, they're $10 out of my budget, and from the pictures they look more like they sit directly on the ear rather than around it. I'm trying to keep an open mind here, but I've always found that sort of design rather uncomfortable, and I've never really liked the sound of any of the headphones I've owned with that design. Sorry if it sounds like I'm being picky, but...well, I am.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 42
You're right, they do sit directly on the ears. You're right, they are pretty uncomfortable at first. Though once the pads break in, you bend the strap right, and your ears toughen up, their perfectly acceptable. Very light.

I was in a similar situation. Wanted to upgrade from a cheap $25 Sennheiser circum-aural (well, I think they were supposed to be supra-aural, but my ears fit inside the cups). Bought Grado SR60i. Completely changed the way I listen to music. Now if all goes as planned Monday, I'll be buying a $350 upgrade not including amp/DAC in as little as 8 months. If your primary concern is entertainment, as well it should be, get them regardless of comfort. One of the best values around.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 42
If you can find them for that price, it's pretty hard to go wrong with the Sennheiser PX-100--they also sit on the ears, but they sound surprisingly good and work with just about anything you want to listen to. They are also so light that I can't imagine anyone finding them uncomfortable.

I've never heard a full-size headphone from that price range that sounds good.

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 42
Heh, lots of suggestions for those SR60i's. Maybe I'll look into a pair, but preferably from some place that allows returns.

Graphicism, thanks for the link...those do look pretty good for that price. I'll trust your judgment on this one, since I really have no clue what any of those technical spec numbers mean.
tongue.gif

Thanks for your help so far!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastershroom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, lots of suggestions for those SR60i's. Maybe I'll look into a pair, but preferably from some place that allows returns.

Graphicism, thanks for the link...those do look pretty good for that price. I'll trust your judgment on this one, since I really have no clue what any of those technical spec numbers mean.
tongue.gif

Thanks for your help so far!
smily_headphones1.gif

HeadRoom has a great return policy. Try it for 30 days and as long as you return it in like-new condition you get full refund no questions asked.

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 42
Excellent, that's just the kind of thing I'm looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is there a difference between the SR60 and SR60i, or are they the same thing?

edit: Nuts, $10 minimum shipping? Yikes! These things were already $10 out of my budget, this puts them at $90, a pretty far cry from $70. Looks like I'll have to rule out the SR60i's, at least from HeadRoom.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 42
I think the 'i' means that it is slightly improved, but I'm not sure exactly what it is improving upon.

SR60i are very good in a quiet environment, but don't plan to be using them outside. They leak noise like crazy.

If you like IEM's, I'd try the ADDIEM. (Apple Duel Driver IEM)

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #11 of 42
IEM means in-ear, right? Ugh, can't stand those. For starters, they fall out of my ears every other minute, and they just feel...wrong, you know? Nah, you probably don't know, I'm just an oddball.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #13 of 42
Yeah...great suggestions for open. Perhaps the ES7 for closed.

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 42
JVC HA-RX700 w/some cash left over for home use. Philips HP910 are nice and the cloth pads are super comfy too but the RX700 sound more balanced IMO.

There's also the excellent CAL! at costco for $55. Can be used portably unlike the JVCs and Philips.

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be first one here to say...Grado SR60...best low cost cans I've ever heard!

Yes, I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back