Help with a few options (HE400 vs. 2900 vs. X1 - - Lyr vs. ALO Pan Am)
Apr 17, 2014 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Zro30

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

OK - my eyeballs can no longer take thread surfing, so I will ask openly.

I'm looking to upgrade my set up, and would like some thoughts/recommendations.  Generally, I think I'm looking for open back headphones with a tube amp.  Below are the current considerations following much research.  I listen mostly to House, Techno, and Tech House.  Given this, I'm not a basshead (preferring balance), but do like it to be noticeably present.  use will be in home only.

Headphone:
HiFiMan HE400
Ultrasone Pro 2900
Philips Fidelio X1
Other??

Amp:
Lyr
ALO PanAm
Little Dot MK IV (know this may not really work, but throwing it out there)
WA6 (maybe...  bit pricey)
Other??

I may look at getting the bifrost with the lyr, or some other DAC perhaps recommended (bifrost is a bit expensive).

Thoughts on any of these, or alternate recommendations?  Price range can be gathered based on current possibilities.  Also, not opposed to closed back, just thinking open would be better.  Do you think they'll disturb others in the house?

Hoping some direct opinions will provide direction...

Thanks in advance

Zack

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 21
What is your current setup...I dun listen much of your genres ,
my guess is closed cans provide better ambience to such music?
Others can chime in:)

Littledot mk4se is one big robust sounding amp...I dare say more open sounding than a lyr.
I had both for short stint. Prefer the LD.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 21
What is your current setup...I dun listen much of your genres ,
my guess is closed cans provide better ambience to such music?
Others can chime in:)

Littledot mk4se is one big robust sounding amp...I dare say more open sounding than a lyr.
I had both for short stint. Prefer the LD.

Thanks, but will the LD jive with any of the headphones listed?  I get mixed opinions since it's OTL only.

Current set up - pretty minimal.  Currently only running Allen&Heath Xone XD-53 through a HiFiman EF2A.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #4 of 21
I dun know bout this otl, low impedance fear...
But the mk4se could whack my d7k, pro900, kg702 without breaking a sweat..
That goes for my current dv336se too.

But my csp2+ couldn't....can only handle the high impedance like hd650 dt770 types.

Love the Chinese amps:)

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 21
What cans do hv now?
Hv u tried rolling a few diff tubes on your ef2?

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #6 of 21
The HE-400s sound great to me with those genres. Excellent soundstage. And then when you get a very good recording, the detail resolution is impressive. I'm running an Asgard 2 with mine.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 21
My main cans ( I hate that word) are a heavily modded SR325i, Denon D2000 and Fidelio X1. The Fidelio X1s are great with electronic music and feel like they were made for bands like Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, Muse ect. A bit slow and muddy in the low end for metal but great headphones. Very open sound and good detail. Listening to a live album I EQed the low end a bit and was amazed with the detail they offered. The D2000s are in the same realm tonally, pretty close. I prefer the D2000 for the high end and , to me, a bit more detailed timbre with acoustic instruments. Again the low end is a bit bloated but really fun for most things.

I'm very interested in the HE-400 and at it's current price seems like a no-brainer. Same exciting sound but possibly even more detailed and tight in the low end. I've been looking hard at the HE500 but am worried that I'd consider it boring.

As for amps & what not I've got a Fiio E17 and E9 which none of my headphones really require but definitely improves the sound. I've been looking at the Little Dot IV but have heard that they're not the greatest for low impedance headphones with it's higher output impedance. I don't want more low end and , frankly, kind of prefer the more sterile solid state sound.

Apr 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 21
I can't speak about the headphones listed yet although I should receive my HE-400's today, I do own the Pan Am & E17, what I find with Pan Am is that it is not "tubey" sounding. I have the stock tubes, the Russian tubes & the Siemens. I have the French & Mullard tubes coming hoping to capture some of that warm lush tube sound I crave. With my AKG Q701's I find the E17 to sound a little darker & laid back while I find the Pan Am a touch bright with the tubes I currently own. I think the Pan Am is a great choice for my use because of the size & portability even though it doesn't leave the house, I just like the fact that I can bring it from room to room which I would lose with the Lyr or LD. I listen to rock exclusively but do feel the Pan Am with the Siemens or Russian tubes is capable of the dynamics necessary for your musical preferences.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #9 of 21
benthuges= zro30 ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #10 of 21
What cans do hv now?
Hv u tried rolling a few diff tubes on your ef2?

Headphones currently are the Allen & Heath Xone XD-53.  I've not tried rolling in the EF2 as I'm not sure it's worth it given my underlying goal here is new headphones.  I feel of those I want - namely HE400 - EF2A just won't cut it no matter what tubes.

Originally Posted by Lorspeaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

benthuges= zro30?

Not sure - I'm not benthuges    ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #11 of 21
  My main cans ( I hate that word) are a heavily modded SR325i, Denon D2000 and Fidelio X1. The Fidelio X1s are great with electronic music and feel like they were made for bands like Nine Inch Nails, Massive Attack, Muse ect. A bit slow and muddy in the low end for metal but great headphones. Very open sound and good detail. Listening to a live album I EQed the low end a bit and was amazed with the detail they offered. The D2000s are in the same realm tonally, pretty close. I prefer the D2000 for the high end and , to me, a bit more detailed timbre with acoustic instruments. Again the low end is a bit bloated but really fun for most things.

I'm very interested in the HE-400 and at it's current price seems like a no-brainer. Same exciting sound but possibly even more detailed and tight in the low end. I've been looking hard at the HE500 but am worried that I'd consider it boring.

As for amps & what not I've got a Fiio E17 and E9 which none of my headphones really require but definitely improves the sound. I've been looking at the Little Dot IV but have heard that they're not the greatest for low impedance headphones with it's higher output impedance. I don't want more low end and , frankly, kind of prefer the more sterile solid state sound.

Regarding the MX1V, that's what I've read as well; but then I've also read it's totally fine.

I can't speak about the headphones listed yet although I should receive my HE-400's today, I do own the Pan Am & E17, what I find with Pan Am is that it is not "tubey" sounding. I have the stock tubes, the Russian tubes & the Siemens. I have the French & Mullard tubes coming hoping to capture some of that warm lush tube sound I crave. With my AKG Q701's I find the E17 to sound a little darker & laid back while I find the Pan Am a touch bright with the tubes I currently own. I think the Pan Am is a great choice for my use because of the size & portability even though it doesn't leave the house, I just like the fact that I can bring it from room to room which I would lose with the Lyr or LD. I listen to rock exclusively but do feel the Pan Am with the Siemens or Russian tubes is capable of the dynamics necessary for your musical preferences

That would be great if the ALO Pan Am works well with the HE400s - you have to let me know.  Since that is both an amp and a dac I wouldn't also have to find the latter like I will with the Lyr or WA6.

Seems as though I'm most heavily leaning towards the HE400s (though still quite undecided).  If so, I'm wondering if its worth springing for a more expensive amp with the idea that down the line when I choose to change headphones I'll already have a good set up.  Sort of taking a universal amp approach (assuming I still prefer a tube over ss).  Have others followed this logic?

Also, since the HE400s are ortho, do they require different levels of power from the X1 and Pro 2900 even though all are on the low impedance end?

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #12 of 21
The Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 are closed, right? (I don't know much about them). The HE-400s will provide a bigger soundstage all on their own than any closed headphone. So you will get some sound improvement even with your EF2.

But are you planning on getting into tube rolling once you get your new amp? If not, I don't see the point of a tube amp since that's the advantage--being able to tweak the sound signature.

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #14 of 21
I'd suggest getting the headphones you want. Get comfortable with them and figure out what you hope to improve with a new headphone amp. Right now you are sort of just guessing how this is all going to come together, and any recommendations will be based upon what other people like without you having any experience with the headphones to sort of judge amp recommendations.

However, since the EF2 has line inputs, you could go ahead and get your DAC, too :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #15 of 21
So your setup is a lappy...straight into the ef2A....XD53 = house music :p

i went to youtube to listen to some techno house music..:its electronic music :p

If u are keeping your current headfone,
i would recommend getting a better dac (higher resolution) first...then see if your XD53 wakes up to another level of "presentness".
I used to have a Nuforce HDP dac/amp...i can use it as a solidstate dac+amp...or just use it as a dac, or hook a tube amp to its tail..
i had the hifimanEF5 then. 

Then if u are aching to own an open can, then shoot for one. 
Listen to it for a season on your newdac + ef2
if u are still unhappy...shop for an amp.
( or buy a pair of cheap tubes...throw a dice..see if the EF2 wakes up to another level )

I have an assortment of tubes...some 100+bucks...some 15bucks.. cant honestly say the expensive tubes are streetsBETTER..
i do love my cheaptubes. Raytheon..Chatham... even my russion cheaptubes. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back