Help With a DAC/Headphone Amp
Jul 31, 2009 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

seanzh12

New Head-Fier
Hi all:

I'm looking for a DAC/Headphone Amp in the $200-$300 range to mainly use with my AKG K702. So far the Fubar III or the Mini-Audio ibasso Mad10 have caught my eyes, but Id love for some opinions on these 2 or any other models in that price range.
confused.gif

Thanks

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 6
If the K702 is anything like the K701, you'll need a decent amp to drive it. The only DAC + amp combos I'm familiar with are HeadRoom's, but the cost is beyond your budget. You don't want to get an amp that can't drive your 'phones. I'm sure people in Head-Fi will be able to help you find one in your price range. But if not, then you might want to take a look at some of the Chinese models on eBay. Or you could start another thread, with a title something like: "Looking for a $300 DAC/amp for My K702." Good luck!

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 6
The Compass is a little out of the price range (almost 400 shipped). I heard it at a local meet and thought it was a pretty good, definitely a good value for the price. I'm considering getting one.

Do you require either a desktop or portable amp? HR makes their Total Bithead amp/DAC for around $160, I own one and it's a reasonable value, although I'm not sure it's enough to drive your K702 well. Maybe the iBasso D10? (Never used, read good things)

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 6
I agree with TStewart422 and bgstern. Audio-gd's Compass is an excellent choice. It's a combination DAC + amp that should have enough juice to drive the K702. You can read about it here: н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

For less than $100 more than your budget, you're getting good quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back