HELP: what is "stick one's landing"?
Oct 3, 2005 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

edisonwu

Headphoneus Supremus
I am doing the homework.
There is a sentence:
"Katrina didn't want to deal with another accident that resulted from another skydiver who "stuck" his landing and so she mentioned the landing problem to George when he and the other skydrivers were assembled together for the pre-flight prayer."

I don't understand the phrase ""stuck" his landing". Could someone give me a help and explain the meaning to me...

Thanks in advance...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 17
usually, sticking the landing means that you land well, stable and on your feet.

but that really doesn't make sense in this context.

weird...

Oct 3, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 17
I think its very clumsily meant to be ironic.

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:10 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
I think its very clumsily meant to be ironic.

I second that. I guess that's why they put quotation marks around "stuck" in the text....

Oct 3, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 17
No. Sticking your landing, means that when the sky diver lands, he omits to run a short distance and just stands on his feet, so the parachute pulls him and results in having him fall down.

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan
No. Sticking your landing, means that when the sky diver lands, he omits to run a short distance and just stands on his feet, so the parachute pulls him and results in having him fall down.

This seems likely. There is other contextual information regarding the word "stuck" that is necessary for the sentence to be fully understood.

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 17
Has anyone ever heard the term in gymnastics in the olympics? When they do the vault or the rings or anything that involves a dismount they are scored for sticking the landing...it's good when they land on their feet and don't hop or need an extra step or two...in skydiving, sticking your landing would be a bad thing, you need to land, and then run a couple of steps to brace yourself...i imagine sticking a landing in skydiving could result in a couple of broken legs...

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
you mean sentence? I'm sorry I didn't know I was being graded...

I was referring to the original post. Thanks for not highlighting my spelling error though.
tongue.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
you mean sentence? I'm sorry I didn't know I was being graded...

I think he was referring to the homework sentence in the first post. It's a problem because homework assignments should be well written.

If someone doesn't quote a specific post, assume they are responding to the thread starter.
Edit: Once again I'm too slow...

Oct 4, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jashugan

Thanks for all you guys above.
this explaination seems to be reasonable.
The assignment is still being hard worked on.
orphsmile.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #13 of 17
the following is a little comercial law case about a revocation of an contract offer must be communicated.

Oct 1 - A in Cardiff wrote to B in New York and offered to sell him 1000 boxes of tin plates
Oct 8 - A wrote to B to cancel the offer
Oct 11 - B received the offer and telegramed to accept it
Oct 20 - A's letter to B canceling the offer arrived in New York
A is SOL.

I do not know what the "SOL" up there means. I need to understand the textbook solution for this case.
anyways,
My opinion is A's canceling for the offer is not entitled.

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
SOL means "poop out of luck" (except using the "S" word for poop), which is a slang saying for "they lose" or "things aren't going to happen their way".

biggrin.gif

best regards
Edison

Users who are viewing this thread

Back