Help Vij....
Sep 27, 2001 at 1:32 AM Post #46 of 77
Quote:

I forgot what Guitar center has, sorry.

jim, Guitar Center (at least in Villa Park, very close to the Lombard supermarket where I currently work part-time at) carries only one headphone model worth buying: the Sony MDR-7506 - and may actually charge less than Sam Ash for that same model. [That Guitar Center store also carries most of the Sony MDR-crapV###DJ series headphones, the Sennheiser EH-22## series headphones (okay, but nothing special in performance or quality), and the Sennheiser HD-265 (dark, muddy-sounding expensive p-o-s headphones, IMHO).] However, that store may special-order other good headphones that are not normally carried by them.

Sep 27, 2001 at 2:23 AM Post #47 of 77
Those uBid auctions are nice for the Senn 580's. I got mine for something like $135 with shipping and everything... plus a $20 rebate would make it $115 if I ever get that. And that price was also with the DSP 360. Now, I know a lot of people have had trouble with those auctions, but everything went smoothly for me. uBid said 580's were new, 360 refurbished. But even if the 580's were refurbished... doesn't matter to me. Great headphones for such a looow price.

But as far as jazz goes, I have to agree with MacDEF for the most part. The 580's kill the 125's with most jazz. If you're listening to Coltrane or any kind of combo group playing in that era, 580's. But man, I don't know if you're into Bela Fleck or anything... but for instance, Outbound (Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) with the 125's is awesome... I'd much rather listen to that album with the 125's than the 580's in that situation. But I'd say, go with the 580's. I haven't heard any AKG's so I can't say anything about them... but hopefully I'll get too soon. I know Guitar Center has 'em...

Hmmm... I think I may pull out Giant Steps here in a minute.

Sep 27, 2001 at 2:25 AM Post #48 of 77
jerikl: I don't listen to Trane - I LIVE Trane......
biggrin.gif

So it looks like the 580s will be the best bet for me....

Any last thoughts?

Sep 27, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #49 of 77
Thanks Reynman! I'll be sure to check them out sometime. I'd sure like to hear the Cary SEI. And actually, I just worked out a deal with bradshel for his MG Head and K501s.
smily_headphones1.gif
The K501s will be a nice full sized headphone to complement my etys when I don't feel like sticking things in my ears.

That's too bad the clark street store doesn't sell cans. Try calling the Evanston store, I'm not sure, but I think they have the stax line, maybe even omega IIs. The catalog I saw in the store did have the staxes in it, including the omegas.

Eagle_Driver:

Yeah, all I remember listening to at Guitar center was a pathetic pair of Cobys and some stantons. I don't know if they carry those anymore, but who cares...
smily_headphones1.gif
Guitar Center is still nice because they will do price matching. I remember they were willing to sell me a pair of 565s for I think $110, which is what spidergear had it for at the time I think.

Sep 27, 2001 at 4:56 PM Post #50 of 77
jim,

Let us know how the 501/MG combo sounds. I am planning to get either the 401, 501 or another Beyer, the 831.

I wonder when Headroom is headed here. Can't wait to try out all that gear.

Regards - reynman

Oct 7, 2001 at 3:38 PM Post #51 of 77
hey everyone.

Thought I'd ressurect this nearly dead thread.

I wanted to note that I'm not considering Etys - because my ear canals hurt after about 15 minutes with just normal ear plugs. And I don't think Etys are as comfy as real ear plugs.
rolleyes.gif

I'm considering the:

- AKG 401/501
- Sennheiser 580/600
- Sony CD1700 (it'll be a b&!#$ to find, tho...)
- Beyerdynamic 770

Which would be driven best with my JMT Penguin?

Oct 7, 2001 at 5:38 PM Post #52 of 77
Since you already the the HD495, I would get the HD580/HD600, your JMT amp would power it nicely. Jude has the same setup for work I think and expect a big improvement. It's Night and Day compare to the HD495, I have all 3 and if you think the HD495 sounds good then wait until you have the HD600.

Oct 7, 2001 at 6:37 PM Post #53 of 77
HOLD EVERYTHING!!!

I just checked Jan's site - and I noticed that the Beyer 770 is ONLY 135 BUCKS!!!!!!

(GASP!!!)

I CAN ACTUALLY AFFORD THAT IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS!!!

OOOOOOMIGOSH!!!

*ahem*

Tomcat: I really need you to enter this thread and be as objective as you possibly can - compare the 600s with the 770....pleeeease....

Wow....Jan's Beyer prices are just amazin....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #54 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
HOLD EVERYTHING!!!

Beyer 770 is ONLY 135 BUCKS!!!!!!
(GASP!!!)
Wow....Jan's Beyer prices are just amazin....
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey coolvij, my thoughts exactly - that's why I ordered the 770's from Jan a week ago
cool.gif

SO -- coming up soon -- the Sennheiser 580 vs. the new Beyerdynamics 770, with and without the JMT Penguin
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 7, 2001 at 11:24 PM Post #55 of 77
Quote:

I would get the HD580/HD600, your JMT amp would power it nicely.

Are you sure? The JMT amp is great for cans like Grados, but I was under the assumption that it's not the best for 580s/600s. JMT, did I misunderstand?

Oct 8, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #56 of 77
It probably depends very strongly about how the cmoy amp is tailored.

I could see that these DIY amps did pretty well at Flumpus's meet. Of course the JMT CHA47 optimized for Grados is much better for Grados than Senns...but there are varieties of DIY amps that are definitely more Senns favorable. Of course they aren't going to be cream of the crop...but they seemed to be favored more than X-cans for a mostly Senns meet?

For a Senn tailored DIY amp...I'd figure a 2 9V version would be minimum. And the ones at the meet I think were only 9V, so really there is a lot of potential than people often give them credit for cause of their pretty low price.

Still a decent option if you want great price and portability.

Oct 8, 2001 at 3:33 AM Post #57 of 77
I just want to be able to get decent sound......I don't want TONs of impact, or SILKY highs....or anything.

Just......better than a PCDP - and better than TA, too
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #58 of 77
If I were you, I'd save up until I could get something I'd enjoy for a long time. I'm not the type to upgrade because a) buying and selling your way up the ladder costs more and b) I'm just not satisfied with "ok" things. So in your poll I'd say Sonys or senns, depending on which you like more.

Oct 8, 2001 at 1:28 PM Post #59 of 77
“If I were you, I'd save up until I could get something I'd enjoy for a long time.”

Jon Beilin,
this seems to be the perfect reason to buy the 770 Pros. In terms of engaging musicality, they are running circles around phones like the CD 3000 or the HD 600. I perceive them as much more involving and enjoyable. Both the CD 3000 and HD 600 might provide more detail, but I feel this is due to their overly bright tonal balance. And there is just no doubt in my mind, that the 770 Pros have deeper and better controlled bass. Even Neruda, who prefers the AKG K 401, has said the 770 Pros had “slam”. I think their extreme bass extension is one reason for their warmer and more natural tonal balance. There is another benefit from this warmer tonal balance: the 770 Pros are homogenous. They don’t rip musical signals to pieces, but convey them as a natural whole. With headphones like the HD 580/600, you’ll get the overtone events served as distinct from the fundamental tones. But they aren’t. Most treble events are caused at the exact same time as events lower down, in the fundamentals area. This is what one perceives with the 770s: violins, guitars, violoncellos, bass violins, pianos have sound-boxes, that produce resonances. There is a body to be perceived, a physical sensation. This is something the 770 Pros can convey, but the HD 600 cannot. They just lack dynamic coherence and run into ever increasing trouble from the lower mids on down, with lower frequencies lagging behind. The HD 580 fair a little better in this regard, but to me, they are nowhere near as convincing as the Beyer 770 or 990 Pros.

And in spite of their unnaturally emphasized treble, the HD 580/600 just aren’t as transparent as the 770s. This becomes painfully obvious whenever the harmonic or rhythmic structure of the music gets complex. Because the 770 Pros handle dynamic demands evenly throughout the frequency range, different voices or parts and their relation remains intelligible. Try to listen to a concert grand with the Senns – does it keep its timbre, or is it split into different instruments? Or listen to a pipe organ and try to make sense of the different voices. I can’t. With the Senns, even the world’s greatest symphonic orchestras will screw up their entries. Every time. Those guys just seem to be incapable of playing in unison. But since they don’t screw up with the Beyers - especially with the 770s - I’d tend to blame it on the Senns.

coolvij, you asked me to be objective. And I’ll admit it: there is one serious problem with the 770s, and it’s pride of ownership. They are just too darn inexpensive. Sorry about that.
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 4:21 PM Post #60 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

Are you sure? The JMT amp is great for cans like Grados, but I was under the assumption that it's not the best for 580s/600s. JMT, did I misunderstand?

I recently got a JMT CHA 47 ALtoids, and I am VERY satisfied with it using the Senn 580s (no Clou cables...pangs of jealous upset). It does a really nice job keeping the neutrality of the Senns (not like my TA on which they are very dark).

And your musical tastes--John Coltrane, '40-60s Jazz, Ella, Billie Holliday--sound really nice with the JMT/580 combination IMO.

Can't speak to the Beyers 'cause I don't own them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back