Help Vij....
Oct 8, 2001 at 4:26 PM Post #61 of 77
dgs: Thanx for the very helpful input.

Tomcat: Thanx for that attempt at objectivity
tongue.gif

At this point.....I'm leaning towards the 770s.....they're also cheap enough that if I don't like em, I can sell em to another head-fizer at a very nice price
smily_headphones1.gif

Plus - I *may* be able to swing them within one year....the other cans I'm seriously looking at (CD3ks, Hd580/600, even Etys) are much more expensive.....

Oct 8, 2001 at 6:46 PM Post #62 of 77
I just wanted to add - I won't be buying ANY cans until the conflict with Afghanistan progresses past a certain point.........a "comfort" point.

I wouldn't feel comfortable buying expensive audio equipment during the heat of a war.......

frown.gif
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:07 PM Post #63 of 77
One of the great things about headphones is how differently everyone hears them
wink.gif
One the one hand, you have people who feel the HD600s are "dark sounding." On the other, some people (like Tomcat) feel they're "overly bright" and have "unnaturally emphasized treble." Which is it? Probably neither, or just a tad one way or the other -- people just like and hear different things. If frequency response graphs are to be believed, the HD600s are a bit dark (i.e. a slight treble rolloff).

Quote:

With headphones like the HD 580/600, you’ll get the overtone events served as distinct from the fundamental tones. But they aren’t. Most treble events are caused at the exact same time as events lower down, in the fundamentals area. This is what one perceives with the 770s: violins, guitars, violoncellos, bass violins, pianos have sound-boxes, that produce resonances. There is a body to be perceived, a physical sensation. This is something the 770 Pros can convey, but the HD 600 cannot. They just lack dynamic coherence and run into ever increasing trouble from the lower mids on down, with lower frequencies lagging behind. The HD 580 fair a little better in this regard, but to me, they are nowhere near as convincing as the Beyer 770 or 990 Pros.

Having owned the 580s for a few years, and the 600s for a while now, I'd have to disagree with the above. I have never experienced any of those criticisms with the HD600s or the HD580s. They give me a physical sensation of the music, they are extremely coherent, with absolutely no "lagging." HOWEVER, that's with a Max (and even with an X-CANv2). With a TA or Little, the performance did leave something to be desired.

P.S. In my experience, the 600s I own are better than the 580s I owned in every respect.

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:14 PM Post #64 of 77
MacDEF: It's true....everyone has bad hearing...one way or another.
wink.gif
Except Mike Walker
tongue.gif

I personally would rather get Senn. 600s - but the 770s (and even 990s) are just so CHEAP!!! It's crazy.......

Also, I had ORIGINALLY wanted 600s with an Apheared Grado 600 amp
smily_headphones1.gif

I figured - between the Penguin and the Apheared, I would have two amps that could give me two different presentations (laidback, calm, smooth vs. upfront, impactful, good at the extreme frequencies).

However - it seems the 770 will strike a middle ground.......with my Penguin.

Saving me money.

Or not - I really should.....uh.....procrastinate
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2001 at 7:36 PM Post #65 of 77
Whew, from Tomcat's description, I really doubt I would like the 770s. I need the highs filter for the (old) Max turned on or else my 580s' highs are too veiled for my liking. And that's w/o crossfeed, too.

Oct 9, 2001 at 1:57 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Thought I'd ressurect this nearly dead thread.

I wanted to note that I'm not considering Etys - because my ear canals hurt after about 15 minutes with just normal ear plugs. And I don't think Etys are as comfy as real ear plugs

I don't necessarily agree. I have the same problem--my ears do NOT like earbuds and begin to hurt after about 30 minutes, but I can wear my etys for hours and hours without even noticing them.

I guess it would depend where and how earbuds hurt your ears.

Oct 9, 2001 at 2:03 AM Post #67 of 77
Yah...but coolvij is kinda young and all...who knows his ear canals might really change with ...ummmmm ....ummmmm whats that term?....oh yah growth!

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:09 AM Post #68 of 77
By far my etys are the most comfortable earphone I have ever used (foam tips of course). I dont think your ear canals will change much with etys (foam tips of course)... Waaaayyy more comfortable than buds. The foam tips change shape to your ear canal, not the other way (unlike the non foam tips which hurt like there isn't a tomorrow).

Oct 9, 2001 at 3:18 AM Post #69 of 77
I think he said ear plugs, not buds...but in anycase, I'm pretty much the opposite. I don't like the hard plastic tube in the foamies, and the foam makes my canals itch after a while. The rubber tips are smoother and more comfortable for me, as long as I don't insert them too deeply. I've found if I insert the rubbers too deeply it can be really really painful to take them out!

Oct 9, 2001 at 5:56 AM Post #70 of 77
Coolvig:

Man, save your money and get something that you will feel is not a compromise...the last thing you want is something that 6 months down the line you'll want to trade in. You have to make sure the damn cans are comfortable...which is one plus in Sennheiser's favour...IMO. Although I also like my Sonys in this regard but they get so darn hot I start sweating...but they are comfy.

Only after you get that issue sorted out can you begin to talk about what sounds good....It doesn't matter if they place John Coltrane in your lap...if you only get to listen for 3 minutes before your head gets crushed etc.

I live in Vancouver/well now Victoria BC...there are 3 very high end notable dealers here...all carry Sennheiser. 2 carry Grado and either push the 60 or 80(both sound good for the money) but are no world beaters. Both are uncomfortable and bright. 1 of the dealers does not even carry the 225 or 325 because as they said...for the same money you can get the 580 or 600. Grado does not compete. When you get to the RS 1 they do but they're double the money...those were the cans I was gonna get...the honest dealer(rare I know...but he's a friend) directed me to the HD600s) I said wow they're even better....How much more...to which he smiled and said $600.00 LESS(CDN FUNDS).
Now the 2 do sound different but for classical music and transparency HD580 or 600...for some of that beefy sound RS1.

Anyway I got off track, One other carried the Orpheus...along with Koss, Beyerdynamics, Sony, Stax and a few others. First words out of this person's mouth was that the 580 and 600 were the headphone to compare the rest against. That is damn High praise even if you don't like their sound...what it says is that the Senns sound like what music is suppose to sound like....the others are doing something else.

The exception was the Stax and the Orpheus HEV91...but at 10 or 20 times the money...they bloody well should be better...and I still wonder about the headphone portion of the Orpheus...plug the 600 in sometime...you would be very surprised by the result.
biggrin.gif

The one store that doesn't carry Sennheiser is getting them in the next few months...none carry AKG...one of them just laughed and shook his head...I have seen mixed reviews in the British mags...I would love to listen but nobody carrys them here...and it would be risky buying unheard.

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:57 PM Post #71 of 77
RGA: Comfort is definetely king. And to those who commented on earbuds - I have no problem with them. Slight discomfort with 888s maximally - MX500s = no pain, whatsoever.

Earplugs, OTH, are different. I am talking about "Flents Quiet Please" earplugs - they are comfy at first, then I get this feeling of pressure that is quite annoying.....after no less than 20 minutes!

I dunno......maybe Etys will be different......

Oct 12, 2001 at 11:41 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Earplugs, OTH, are different. I am talking about "Flents Quiet Please" earplugs - they are comfy at first, then I get this feeling of pressure that is quite annoying.....after no less than 20 minutes!

I dunno......maybe Etys will be different......

I'm one of those who misread what you wrote. So, I feel obliged to comment again...

The etys with RUBBER tips are likely to bother you given what you've written above. People with small Eustachian Tubes (The middle ear is connected to the nasopharynx via the eustachian tube) often get that annoying sensation of pressure when wearing earplugs. Interestingly, the point that Tim D makes is quite important--as we grow, the Eustachian tube often changes shape enough to solve this problem (that's why Otitis Media, an infection of the middle ear, is so much more common in children than in adults). So even if not now, you may be able to enjoy the ety's with rubber plugs later.

The foam tips seem to have much less of a "pressure" feeling associated with them. I would experiment first with some foam (maybe even get someone to send you two of their "foamies" from their ety's for you to try first) to see if you can tolerate it.

Another solution might be the custom earmolds. I have never tried them, but I hear varying reports about comfort and "that sealed off feeling" from those who do have them.

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:25 PM Post #73 of 77
dgs: thanx for the reply. To be perfectly clear - my ears don't actually PAIN me when I use ear plugs. It's just a subtle discomfort - and I can't pinpoint what's wrong.....very unlike ear infection-type pain.

The only thing is, I can't imagine immersing myself in the music if something in my ear canal is bugging me....I can't even listen to music till I finish my homework - forget minor discomfort!

Hmm...I think I'll go for Etys LATER on.....and get a nice...."in-between" model.....like the AKG 501, Beyer 770, Senn. 580 (no cable upgrade
rolleyes.gif
), or.....hmm......used Sony CD1700.

Leaning towards the AKG, right now.

Any thoughts on the AKG 501 (NOT 401) with avant garde jazz? How about swing? Smooth Jazz? Ella/Billie Holliday? Grunge/Alternative rock? Tabla & Indian Classical? Orchestral Soundtracks? Non-chamber Classical?

ANY THOUGHTS?

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:46 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Any thoughts on the AKG 501 (NOT 401) with avant garde jazz? How about swing? Smooth Jazz? Ella/Billie Holliday? Grunge/Alternative rock? Tabla & Indian Classical? Orchestral Soundtracks? Non-chamber Classical?

Coolvij, for that money, given the type of music you listen to, by all means consider the Senn 580s over the 501s (you have a JMT amp, right?).

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:57 PM Post #75 of 77
Hmm.....MacDEF - the 501 is easier for me to get....I have a secret source
biggrin.gif

redface.gif

Anyway - I KNOW the 580 is better than the 501 for those types of music - or at least some of them - but.....how does the 501 perform?

I DO have a 495...if I ever wanted an enveloping...ALMOST but not quite mushy....presentation.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back