Help Vij....
Sep 25, 2001 at 2:57 AM Post #31 of 77
I'd say, probably because of my rule about showering before touching circumaurals.
biggrin.gif
The MSPs are the closest supraural 'phone to my R10s from there.

Sep 25, 2001 at 4:12 AM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally posted by coolvij
Also - were your 600 impressions based off of stock cable 600s?

I listened to the HD600's with the standard cable, red jaspis cable, and custom blockhead cable. I'm starting to think that the HD600's gripped my head to tightly, and resulted in a very muddy sound. One of you HD600 owners try pressing the earcups of the HD600 hard against your head and see how muddy the sound gets...

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

I considered the 590 since I found them for around 162 bux on-line (Yahoo! Shopping) - I didn't realize I could get 580s for that same amount.....show me where, please

Don't have any sites handy, but I've seen them as cheap as $150 several times...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 8:22 AM Post #36 of 77
yeah, ebay has them regularly for 149, and ubid sometimes under $120 with a refurbished DSP 360, though i'm sure you;ve heard about their aweful customer service...

KR- is that the 580 Jubilee? I've always wondered about j&R's pic of the 580, it seems inbetween the regular 580 and 600... Maybe you can clain false advertising if they send you the regular ones
smily_headphones1.gif

oh yeah, headphone fit is crucial, i had to do lots of bending of the headband of every headphone i've owned before it sounded "right"

Sep 25, 2001 at 2:02 PM Post #38 of 77
Quote:

KR- is that the 580 Jubilee? I've always wondered about j&R's pic of the 580, it seems inbetween the regular 580 and 600... Maybe you can clain false advertising if they send you the regular ones

Maybe it is, don't know for sure. Maybe it's just bad lighting
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2001 at 9:49 PM Post #39 of 77
Thanx for the link, DarkArtist.

I'm prolly gonna do what Duncan said - sit tight. My 495s sound very good, and I need time to audition - or for Headroom to get out here (!) - before I can make a concrete decision anyway.

Hmm...

At this point, I'm leaning towards.....well, I don't know.

Team AKG is doing a number on me - I hadn't considered ANY AKG phones....yet, now the 501s/401s seem very good....

I really need to to audition.

Has anyone ever heard an HD-495 AND any of the headphones we've discussed in this thread? A very brief comparison, if possible, would be very helpful. TIA.

- vij

Sep 25, 2001 at 11:26 PM Post #40 of 77
coolvij, call around! find someone who carries these headphones! I'm sure there's a place in chicago that carries them. There has to be...

Sep 26, 2001 at 3:06 AM Post #41 of 77
Neruda/Coolvij,

Believe it or not, Chicago does not have a lot to offer our hobby. There is a lot of hi-end audio, but nothing for us. The Tweeter store in Water Tower Place has some Sennheisers. I once stopped in their to see their price on a Denon 370 and I overheard this gentleman talking about the Sennheiser 580/600. The salesman had no clue, so I intervened and told him about headwize and headroom. He thanked me and went on his merry way.

For me, I just happened upon Holm Audio in Woodridge (about 25 miles southwest of Chicago) via internet search. In that store I have demoed:

Senn 600
Grado 225
Grado RA-1
MG Head and a couple different tubes
NAD 540
NAD 521
Nordost ICs

Great service and knowledgeable people, especially the manager Albert. He has been quoted by a few audiophile publications and sold countless hi-end systems, but he took the time and talked to me about my little hobby. Great experience, highly recommended!

Anyway back to vij's dilemma. Since the holidays are fast approaching and if you celebrate them, ask Kris Kringle for some money. Voila! You should be on your way to a great set of cans. My wishlist for the Holidays is for a new set of cans:

AKG 401/501
Beyer 831

Any other Chicagoans that can help Coolvij out with audio/headphone store recommendations?

Regards - reynman

Sep 26, 2001 at 3:44 AM Post #42 of 77
reynman: I had a feeling Chicago wasn't exactly hi-fi central.....at least, not for us headphone-philes
rolleyes.gif

I think I will be getting.....well, I still don't know.

Have to audition - thanx for the woodbridge rec., reynman - tho, that is FAR away from me....northwest versus southwest burbs....oh well.

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #43 of 77
Admittedly, I did most of my headphone browsing in the cornfields of Champaign, even though I hail from the 'burbs of Chicago.

However, this past weekend I was back at home and stopped by Audio Consultants in Hinsdale (York and Ogden). Anyway, they have all the grados there except the RS series, and I listened to an HD600 from an RA-1 and an Arcam DVD player. Have no idea what the interconnects were, but I suspect they were MITs.

Aside from that, I think the Evanston store has the other grados and....STAX!! I'd love to pay them a visit, but I'd never have time to go out there. But, it's nice to know that I can listen to electrostatics if I really wanted to.

In anycase, I personally wouldn't buy anything from Audio Consultants...they are grossly overpriced. They wanted $400 for the HD600....yeah right.

For other things, like K301, Sony 7506, Senn 535, and others, go to Sam Ash in Lombard.

I forgot what Guitar center has, sorry.

Finally for etys, you can just pay homage to the mecca of canalphones in elk grove village, etymotic research themselves.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, I'm sure you can find other places. Those are just the ones I happen to live close to.

Reynman:
Holm Audio has the MG Head?! Doh! If I had known I would have gone there this weekend, and probably have picked one up! How much are they selling it for?

Sep 26, 2001 at 4:36 AM Post #44 of 77
Coolvij,

if you want to find stores, just call around. If they don't have what you're looking for, ask them and see if they know who would. There are PLENTY of audio stores in the greater chicagoland area.

When coolvij starts driving I know what he's going to be doing...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2001 at 1:22 AM Post #45 of 77
jim,

I purchased my MG Head from Holm Audio for $325. This was the updated/upgraded model with smooth volume pot, removeable power cord and tube cage. They have a MG Head and a Grado RA-1 hooked up to a NAD 521 cdp for demo purposes. I had a great time demoing with my Senn 580, Beyer 250-80, and their Senn 600.

Make sure to check out their sound rooms especially with the Cary equipment!

I called Audio Consultants, on Clark Street. They told me they did not sell any cans. Their loss!

Regards - reynman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back