(HELP!!!) UM AERO or TF10(reshell and add a mid drive)??
Sep 18, 2012 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ianye

New Head-Fier
I am going to buy a headphone,
I was thinking about should i get a Unique Aero OR Tf10.
If i get a tf10, i would like to reshell and add a mid drive.
But i am not sure which one is much better.
Also i am not going to buy Amplification, so i am not sure I can get the best sound from Aero.

Ps: i like pop, rap and country music.

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I am going to buy a headphone,
I was thinking about should i get a Unique Aero OR TF10.
If i get a TF10, i would like to re-shell and add a mid drive.
But i am not sure which one is much better.
Also i am not going to buy Amplification, so i am not sure I can get the best sound from Aero.

Ps: i like pop, rap and country music.

I hate it when nobody responds......

I have never heard the UM Aero but I have heard great things about UM here on HeadFi. From what I have read you can't go wrong with UM.   

I have a set of TF-10's that were re-shelled by Fisher Hearing in Florida.  I did not add another driver as they did not offer that service.  UM does offer a re-shell service where they can add a driver.  (I am sure you must already know this). 

My biggest complaint moving from the Etymotic ER-4P to the TF-10 was that the TF-10 was uncomfortable to put in my ears.  I could not wear them for more than a few minutes but I liked the sound.  They only cost me $150.00 on eBay.  There was nothing bad about the Etymotic but, if I had to make a judgment, they were kind of boring and I thought the midrange was not "clear".  I didn't mind sticking them in my ears and I still have them.  I also use the EtyBLU headset for the cell phone (this is the one ear bluetooth job, not the stereo wireless headset). 

The TF-10's sound great.  Good balance top to bottom.  Accurate?  Who knows.  Folks around here say they lean to the "fun" side of the pendulum.  I guess that could be correct.  Sometimes the mids are so clear on some recordings that it is spooky.  The bass has some "slam" (aka impact) and depth but not a lot of weight, like a big subwoofer array or a big speaker (like the Focal Utopia or the Hansen Emperor) has weight.  Lots of detail and a sense of reality.   My Stax Signatures are more detailed but on some recordings sometimes the re-shelled TF-10's sound real.

So for $150.00 for the TF-10's, $100.00 for the reshell and $50.00 for the impressions I am in pretty good shape - only $300.00. 

The downside?  Well, there was initially a clarity issue with the cable that I got with the reshell.  It was not bad but I thought that it could be holding the reshelled TF-10 back.  I spent $70.00 on a cable from ChrisHimself (Headphone Lounge -- Ted totally rocks at making cables!).  The cable made a huge difference in terms of focus and tonal balance.  I wouldn't listen to the reshell without it.  ALSO, the TF-10 is a great product, no doubt but, like any product it can suffer from QC issues.  On mine there is an issue with balance.  The left is just slightly louder than the right.  Now, it might be my hearing but it might be the headphone, who knows.  Since it has been reshelled the warranty is void.  So, I needed something with a balance control.  (Recordings are not always balanced either).  So I bought an amp with a balance control (HotAudio DV-1).  This gave two benefits: ability to channel balance AND tons of dynamic headroom - uncompressed power without amp distortion.  (The source can still be distorted).  I think the amp was under $250.00 but, for what it brought to the table who cares.  (To me the benefit of an amp is headroom, not loudness and volume).

I think you could be happy with the reshelled TF-10 with or without an additional driver. 

Me?  I am patiently awaiting the delivery of a pair of Heir Audio A-4 (custom IEM).  Why?  I want to hear a real custom IEM, not a reshell and from what I have read the Heir may be one of the more accurate iem's on the market.

Good luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back