[HELP] UE Triplefi 10 doesn't connect properly to iPhone 2G
Dec 14, 2010 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

pipnasty

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!

I recently bought and sold a pair of UE Triplefi 10. The problem is the buyer states that he cannot properly connect the plug to his iphone 2G. He said that he could only connect it to his iPhone via a 3.5 adapter, but the connection doesn't have a snug fit and signal loss would occur on either channels when the cables move. He states that there were 2 versions of the UE Triplefi 10s, one in black packaging with angled plug (the one I sold) and one in silver packaging with straight plug (the more recent one I think). He said that the latter version (silver packaging with straight plug) was the one meant to be used for the iphone, and not the one I sold.

Can anybody help me out? Come up with a solution for the connection problem with the iPhone?

Btw, here's a picture of the UE Triplefi 10s:

Really need help :frowning2:

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the quick reply! So there's no existing problem? Connection should be okay? The buyer told me that his iPhone's the 2G version which is different and doesn't have the same hole (I don't know what you call it) as the newer iPhone models.

I tested them out before I sold them so I'm absolutely sure they're working and in perfect condition.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm not that familiar with the the Iphone 2G but I may have spoken too quickly about compatibility. I just looked it up and apparently there's a recessed jack in early Iphones that could be an issue with angled plugs fully seating themselves. I still don't see how this is your fault unless you gave the wrong age or stated that it was compatible. If the adapter is intermittant, than it's the adapter at issue if you never had a problem. The plug is very standard. He could just solder on a new plug, get a replacement cable or better adapter. If you called them new, it's on you as even if unused, they're old enough stock to be considered refurb. Same would be true if they were new replacements and not stated as such as anything he'd buy new in a shop would have worked for him.

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 11
This definitely isn't your fault.  He can get a cable that will fit his iphone directly from UE for $19.99, or alternately use an adapter.

46" Replacement Cable (Black) - with integrated microphone and on-cord control (vi version)

http://ultimateears.com/en-us/products/universal-accessories

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 11
Your buyer is stating nonsense.  The iphone uses a standard TRS plug.  Tell him to stop jerking you around, or to stop being an idiot and understand how basic electronics work.

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
I'm not that familiar with the the Iphone 2G but I may have spoken too quickly about compatibility. I just looked it up and apparently there's a recessed jack in early Iphones that could be an issue with angled plugs fully seating themselves. I still don't see how this is your fault unless you gave the wrong age or stated that it was compatible. If the adapter is intermittant, than it's the adapter at issue if you never had a problem. The plug is very standard. He could just solder on a new plug, get a replacement cable or better adapter. If you called them new, it's on you as even if unused, they're old enough stock to be considered refurb. Same would be true if they were new replacements and not stated as such as anything he'd buy new in a shop would have worked for him.

This is correct. Older ipod touches are only compatible with straight plugs of similar size to that of the ipod buds. Most L plugs will not fit and will only get partial connection as the buyer described. However this is not your fault since it should be the buyer's responsibility to ensure the compatibility of his purchase

Dec 14, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

This is correct. Older ipod touches are only compatible with straight plugs of similar size to that of the ipod buds. Most L plugs will not fit and will only get partial connection as the buyer described. However this is not your fault since it should be the buyer's responsibility to ensure the compatibility of his purchase

1+ Freaking dummy.

Dec 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
Your buyer is stating nonsense.  The iphone uses a standard TRS plug.  Tell him to stop jerking you around, or to stop being an idiot and understand how basic electronics work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've had an iphone 2G before, and most owners (especially after 3yrs) should be well aware that not all 3.5mm plugs will fit properly into their iphone's recessed jack unless it is of slim at the end, or unless they use an adapter.  I am assuming you sold your item on ebay (correct me if I'm wrong), and I noticed that on a lot of ebay ads, they just put the default TripleFi descriptions and pictures, including:

if you used that default picture in your ad, then your buyer was expecting the slim straight plug which would have no problem fitting into the iphone 2G, NOT the L-plug which sold with the UE "eco-friendly" black-boxes.  So, did you provide pics of the actual item, or use the default pics which didn't fully represent your product?

Quote:
1+ Freaking dummy.

Please don't be so quick to judge all the time, and give the buyer some benefit of the doubt.

btw, here's an adapter that is cheap and should work, but is by no means convenient, especially if the buyer saw the picture and was expecting something else that should've worked just fine on its own.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-5mm-Earphone-Headphone-Adapter-IPHONE-2G-3G-/320483403517?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item4a9e4ca6fd#ht_2502wt_1248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back