Help: trouble with EAC
Apr 2, 2004 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
I am copying a bunch of cd's and in order to make them like the original, I am using EAC. Everything is going fine except for one thing:

I was ripping a cd to wav so that I could later burn it as a copy

It had some scratches on it that i wanted to fix with EAC's glitch correction

It was taking a while, so i left my computer on to do it overnight expecting it to simply finish the ripping and the window which allows me to correct the glitches be up (as it always is when i am around and the ripping finishes)

sure enough, my computer shutdown after the ripping had finished and now i cant fix the glitches without re-ripping everything back into my computer

What can i do? Is there any way that I can bring the window back up so that i can fix the glitches?

Or do I have to re-rip the whole cd?

Thanks for your help.
Dan

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 10
i guess the first thing to do next time is make sure you have the 'shutdown when finished' option turned off. i don't know if that was the problem this time or not.

try opening EAC with the cd in the drive. i know it keeps the database information - maybe it keeps the glitch info as well.

i haven't done this, but maybe you could try the 'compare wavs' or 'process wavs' tools. i would try the 'compare' first, as i know processing a wav takes a while to load up.

the log file written by eac should tell you where the glitches are located on each track, but i don't know if that knowledge helps much.

all in all it might be easier just to rerip the cd.

the people at the EAC forum will probably be able to help better than I.

/andrew

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 10
i just read the 'features' on the EAC website, and the wav editor is apparently capable of glitch removal:
Quote:

Small WAV editor with the following functionality: delete, trim, normalize, pad, glitch removal, pop detection, interpolation of ranges, noise reduction, fade in/out, undo (and more)

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Not sure how much you've used it, but the "glitch removal" doesn't really work IMO. Nothing against EAC, as I'm sure it's very hard to get right (who else has it?), but it's either not noticable or does more damage in most cases I've tried it. When I have problems, I use iTunes to rip and see if less error correction handles the pops/clicks better. It seems to sometimes in my case (though that may be two different drives on two different machines).

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 10
I guess I'll just re-rip the cd. Seems like the easiest thing to do.

Thanks for your help guys.

Blessingx,

Though you may not want to believe it, but the glitch removal works quite well. On one of my disks, you could distinctly hear a skip. After EAC fixed it, it flowed straight through as if it had been a brand new copy of the cd.

But I'm sure there are other cases where the glitch removal may not work as well.
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Glitch removal works sometimes, it doesn't other times. And yes, try ripping on Burst mode; you'd be suprised what happens sometimes.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 10
How do I set it to burst mode?

Thanks man.
tongue.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #8 of 10
In EAC hit F10 (Drive Options), then select Burst Mode.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 10
LOL! That easy huh?

Shows you how smart I really am.
rolleyes.gif

Thanks. Ill try that out on the next cd i rip.

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 10
Yeah, EAC is a bit intimidating at first, but it's fairly intuitive once you learn what everything means. It's also (as I'm sure you've learned) an extremely powerful program. Nothing else I've ever used has come close to it. And no, I've never used cdparanoia. Some say it's better. Although others say the way it re-reads damaged sectors causes damage to the CD drive. I wonder if Mandrake helped design it...
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back