Help to find a better AKG!
Mar 8, 2018 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JediMa70

500+ Head-Fier
I had for few months AKG K702, i loved their so wide soundstage but I HATED the too weak bass (totall inconsistent) so I 'm asking for help to find a good (under 200) set of headphones with the very wide soundstage but also with bass. I mentioned AKG because I really like their sound

ty

Mar 8, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 17
The AKG K712 can give you a big and layered soundstage.

Not 100% as expansive as K702 but you get a slightly blacker background between sounds in exchange (improved imaging).
Still an AKG K7-series, that means bigger soundstage and more ethereal sound relative to something like HD650 (which by the way has slightly bigger soundstage than HD600)

With the K712 you get a sound signature that's similar to K702's but it's fuller sounding thanks to a +3dB boost in the lower frequencies.
In other words, a more focused sounding K702 with more lower midrange and bass presence.

There aren't many headphones with K702-like soundstage and bassier sound.
Fidelio X2 will give you the BIG bass and relatively big soundstage, but it's less technical/refined than the K7-series or HD6xx

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 17
The K7xx would also be a possibility. But AKG's are somewhat known for their lack of bass. None really have the impact that other manufacturer's get out of their headphones. It's just part of the trade-off. Some Beyers may get to where you want to be... maybe.

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #5 of 17
A big sound with good bass under 200 dollars? Hard choice in, I think the most obvious choice would be the AKG K7XX, but I would extend that amount a bit and buy the Philips Fidelio X2 if I were you.
I had them but i didnt like them, in the end, too much V shape sound, very nice build but well I don't miss them. I don't look for a good bass but for a better bass than AKG K702 (that was really bad)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 17
I had them but i didnt like them, in the end, too much V shape sound, very nice build but well I don't miss them. I don't look for a good bass but for a better bass than AKG K702 (that was really bad)

I've had 2 AKG K702 and their bass was very good, tight, clean, layered and extended. Among the best in its class.
Superior to the woolier and more monotonous bass on my HD600 and HD650, also clearer and more delineated than the bass on my DT880.
AKG K702's bass is far from boosted though, so it only pairs very well with top class audiophile recordings intended to be played on very flat gear, just like HD800/HD800S.
They won't rock the house with average recordings, that's granted. Play a perfectly recorded acoustic bass or the lower registers on a nice piano and the bass will perform very well.
Fast and clean unlike most other dynamic headphones in its price range.

I would really understand if you say K702's bass wasn't present enough for your preferences and recordings, but I can't agree about it being really bad.
There's still a chance you're K702 was off somehow, but it's not very likely I guess.

Please expand on why you've found the bass on your K702 to be really bad, and what recordings you've used to judge it.
The gear used might help too.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 17
I've had 2 AKG K702 and their bass was very good, tight, clean, layered and extended. Among the best in its class.
Superior to the woolier and more monotonous bass on my HD600 and HD650, also clearer and more delineated than the bass on my DT880.
AKG K702's bass is far from boosted though, so it only pairs very well with top class audiophile recordings intended to be played on very flat gear, just like HD800/HD800S.
They won't rock the house with average recordings, that's granted. Play a perfectly recorded acoustic bass or the lower registers on a nice piano and the bass will perform very well.
Fast and clean unlike most other dynamic headphones in its price range.

I would really understand if you say K702's bass wasn't present enough for your preferences and recordings, but I can't agree about it being really bad.
There's still a chance you're K702 was off somehow, but it's not very likely I guess.

Please expand on why you've found the bass on your K702 to be really bad, and what recordings you've used to judge it.
The gear used might help too.

I have HD600, HifiMan He400i, Meze 99 classics and Monolith M1060.
I just use Flac from 16 up to 24/192 with 2 amps, Darkvoice and Meier Corda Jazz
I love classic music and jazz but about K702 bass were really not there.. too weak.. it was really hard to listen them. But again I really like their fantastic soundstage and clarity that's why I was still considering to add another AKG.
712 in italy are in the price range

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 17
I have HD600, HifiMan He400i, Meze 99 classics and Monolith M1060.
I just use Flac from 16 up to 24/192 with 2 amps, Darkvoice and Meier Corda Jazz
I love classic music and jazz but about K702 bass were really not there.. too weak.. it was really hard to listen them. But again I really like their fantastic soundstage and clarity that's why I was still considering to add another AKG.
712 in italy are in the price range
Don't expect a miracle with the k712s, the difference in bass is near marginal.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 17
Don't expect a miracle with the k712s, the difference in bass is near marginal.
Around +3dB for everything below 800Hz
K712 is not a bass boosted K702.

The bass is similarly flat (AKG-like) but the lower midrange and bass have more presence relative to the upper midrange and treble (warmer/fuller sounding tuning)

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #11 of 17

The bass is similarly flat (AKG-like) but the lower midrange and bass have more presence relative to the upper midrange and treble (warmer/fuller sounding tuning)
So it's not worth the price difference? I thought they were really better in many features..

Mar 10, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #12 of 17

The K712s are worth it for more warmth over the k702s, and I think vocals are much better on the k712. They really are a great pair of headphones, but the bass is still lacking compared to headphones that do bass well.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 17
... but the bass is still lacking compared to headphones that do bass well.

Not sure what you mean.

The bass on K712 is very clear and extended, it's among the best in its class. It's fast and has very low harmonic distortion.
I've owned the K712 until about a month ago, its bass was a little bit north of neutral, it's a warm sounding reference headphone.
To put things in perspective, K712 has more bass quantity/warmth/bloom than most other reference headphones:

AKG K702
AKG K812
Beyerdynamic DT880
Beyerdynamic T1.1
Beyerdynamic T1.2
Sennheiser HD800
Sennheiser HD800S

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 17
W hat does best in class mean? Compared to all headphones, no, it's not best in class. Best in class would be Fostex (planar or dynamic), audeze, Stax, or even some Hifimans. The 712s may be best among other akgs, but not against the world. They're barely mediocre in that realm.

Mar 10, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #15 of 17
W hat does best in class mean? Compared to all headphones, no, it's not best in class. Best in class would be Fostex (planar or dynamic), audeze, Stax, or even some Hifimans. The 712s may be best among other akgs, but not against the world. They're barely mediocre in that realm.

Among the best in its class, means compared with other headphones with the similar design and purpose (neutralish open back reference headphone) and price range (under 300 usd)
Fostex make some very coloured headphones. I really don't know what's quality bass for you, if more bass is better bass for you then sure, TH900mk2 will take the cake, since it has more than 10dB boost in the bass relative to the upper midrange. That's not quality bass in my book, that's just boosted bass for those who like it like that way.

As I've said K712's bass is extended and pretty neutral, flatter than HD650 or HD600, more present than K701/K702, more layered and fuller than DT880's, way superior to the Fidelio X1/2 in terms of clarity and neutrality. Even beyond its class, it has a solid tuning in the bass, not as dry as HD800 for instance, but retaining a pretty neutral character.

Do you own or have owned the K712 in the past?
What kind of music do you normally listen to?

For quality recordings, K712's bass is not lacking for a reference headphone. It's indeed on the warm side of things.
If you're a borderline bass-head or normally listen to low quality recordings with compressed dynamic range, then a more coloured headphone might be more fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back