Help to choice for classical music¡¡¡
May 16, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
akg k500/k501. Beats the k701 hands down imho. Do a search here on the k701 and you'll get tens of threads that may be of interest. the dt880 is a good choice also.

I completely agree. But I recommend adding the Sennheiser HD-600 to your list, too.

May 16, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuvolari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking about to buy a headphone for classical music, DT880 pro? , AKG 701? I don't know in this range of value (300 €), others models possible?

Thank you

The 501 was made for classical, literally. If you want a more neutral presentation I'd go with the 600/701/DT48. I prefer the DT48. More resolving, faster, and the neutrality of the timbre is spot on.

May 16, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 30
Sennheiser HD-600 and classical music are a perfect match! I really enjoy listening to Vengerov playing his violin or Rachmaninof playing piano through the 600. It just sounds right.

May 17, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 30
The AKG K500/K501 and the Sennheiser HD580/HD600 do classical music very well. They both have relative strengths with regards to classical music. The AKG has a wider soundstage which can portray the sense of scale of a large orchestra better, a sweeter and more detailed midrange, and a brighter tonal balance which make them better at certain instruments than the Senns. However, the Senns have more warmth for instruments that benefit from it such as cello, a stronger low end with more extension, stronger dynamics, and slightly better reproduction of the timbre of many instruments in my opinion.

You decision will ultimately come down to what type of classical music you listen to and what sound signature you feel you would enjoy more. For example, if you listen to a lot of organ music the K501 is a no-go since it has neither the extension nor the power, but if you listen to a lot of voice recordings the K501 would likely be a better choice.

If you're willing to make the jump, you have another option in the form of electrostats. It might be a bit more difficult nowadays to get Stax on a budget of 300 euros since the prices have risen lately, but if you're patient you should be able to get some vintage Lambdas and a transformer box for about your budget. You'll need a speaker amp to power the Stax if you're using a transformer though; if you can somehow score a Lambda and an energizer for that budget, then you can just power the Stax from the energizer. I don't want to say too much about the sound since I just got my pair so I'm still on the honeymoon, but this girl can do classical. At the very least, my Stax are definitely faster and more detailed than either the K500 or the HD580 with an excellent tonal balance to boot.

May 17, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #22 of 30
The only large can I have is the DT880. I listen to it with my Compass and they sound wonderful, very detailed. I also struggled between the AKG701 and DT880 but at the end I was influenced by many headfiers who mentioned the bass in the DT880's is deeper. Don't know if its true. just my $0.02.

May 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #23 of 30
Thank you for your response, I order a DT880 pro, because is easier to drive with my amp than K701. If I can't take the result I hope, I will to buy another amp and can.... (stax =).

May 18, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Thank you for your response, I order a DT880 pro, because is easier to drive with my amp than K701. If I can't take the result I hope, I will to buy another amp and can.... (stax =).

What gave you the impression that the DT880 pro is easier to drive? In fact my experience is that the DT880 pro is harder to drive than the K701.

May 18, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

This is the other question, the amp.
I use a Little Dot MkII for my grado SR80, and I will purchase a new amp for my future RS1,
any amp with good matching DT-880(or AKG) and RS1?

Thank

Very good question. You mentioned earlier that you like to listen to Classical music and I am also a listener of classical. To your question the amp is very important with a lot of phones especially with the RS-1. For Classical I use a WOO 6 ( pLease refer to my signature ) and the RS-1. This combination brings out the character of the RS-1 and it outperforms my 701 and 340 in terms of texture, dynamics, imaging and accurate soundstage presentation (important for classical recordings). The 701s and 340s are also good phones and will do the job. But they just don't give you the "there" feeling of the Grados.

May 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

biggrin.gif
... and what was this thread for? Almost all recommendations are towards AKG-line but you've ordered the beyers. Good luck!
icon10.gif

May 18, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
... and what was this thread for? Almost all recommendations are towards AKG-line but you've ordered the beyers. Good luck!
icon10.gif

help people with their post counts...
popcorn.gif

May 18, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #29 of 30
I'm sure you will enjoy the beyerdynamics. I think that the 701 and the 880 are equally hard to drive on my Millett. The volume is about 10-11 oclock on average and they both sound great.

However, they both get good results on my portable amp too, so I think you will be happy...for now.

May 18, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 30
IMHO K501, HD600, HD650, DT880 are the phones suitable for Classical music. Each headphone has its unique flavor. So try to audition at least two of these in some meets. To describe the sound in one word,

HD600=laid back, smooth, neutral
K501=wide soundstage
HD650=Dark, bit bass oriented
DT880=Fine soundstage, treble oriented

Users who are viewing this thread

Back