Help- TDK BA200s just died on me, need a new headphone recommendation
Jun 7, 2014 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mnewbs23

New Head-Fier
Hi all, 

This is my first post here, happy to be a part of your community. My issue is that my TDK BA-200s that I've had for a little over a year just crapped out on me. I was on a run the other day and the right side just cut out, and it hasn't come back. Since they are out of warranty now and TDK doesn't make them anymore, I'm pretty much SOL. I loved the TDKs overall and am looking to get something with a similar sound, under $150. 

Any recommendations?

I would greatly appreciate any help. 

Thanks!
Matt 

Jun 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2 of 3
Okay I've narrowed it down to the RHA MA750, the VSonic GR07, and the Etymotic HF5. I also considered the Brainwavz R3 but seems like a lot of people commented on the weird fit. 

Warranty is a factor in my decision given what happened with my TDKs. I had a pair of Shure E3cs before the TDKs that I loved (although they paled in comparison to the TDKs) that I had to perform varying levels of surgery on over the years to keep them running, so would love something with good build quality that I don't have to worry about. 

I loved the balanced signature of the TDKs, although wouldn't mind something with a bit more bass (I realize the Etymotics won't give me that). 

I'm thinking of buying two and see which on I like best. Any recommendations based on this?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Okay I went ahead and bought the RHA MA-750 and the Hifiman RE-400. Based on my research they have similar signatures, with the RHA leaning more to the warm/bass heavy-ish side and the Hifiman being more neutral (closer to the TDK). Both should be here in the next couple days so will likely write a comparison review in the coming weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back