Help - suggestions for headphones
Feb 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Bruin9999

Head-Fier
Hi guys, this my first post on here and I've been looking for a good set of phones for a while. Ipod, Cowon D2, Denon receiver are basicly my sources. I am looking for closed phones. My music ranges from 80's bands to Death Cab, Snow Patrol, Chris Isaak and a lot in between. I recently was at Guitar Center and listened to the Senn HD380 pro and with the ipod turned all the way up it seemed as there was a lot of headphone that wasn't being touched. So, to make a long story short, which is impossible now, my question is, Are there any recommendations you guys might have for me about closed phones that an ipod could drive and give full sound? Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 18
Don't know about the iPod, but my Cowon D2 has plenty of power to drive my Senn HD205s. They go along great, I must say. JetEffect settings on my D2 are BBE 1, M3B 5 and EQ set to NOR or USR (-1, -2, -2, 0, 0). Other sound enhancements aren't used.

They're a very good set of budget closed cans, IMHO, and build quality is great.

Feb 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 18
Are you looking for something to listen to in the comfort of your own home, or on the go and in public?

Feb 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 18
I definitely want something that blocks out outside noise. The 380's did that, they just didn't produce the volume from the ipod. Guitar center was beyond loud and I heard none of it with them on.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 18
Most people want closed headphones when they come here, then gradually switch to open headphones. Your brain tunes out more background noise than you think, especially when concentrating on music.

Based on your music and gear, I think you'd enjoy a pair of Grados a lot. There's a pair for every budget - go read some threads on them and you'll see how much people love them.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 18
omG thats alot of suggestions, whats your budget and do u like high volume? alot of headphones can be driven by portable players just a matter of volume and yes amps can improve the sound greatly but that also depends on the headphone generally mid-high end would benefit in this case.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 18
I like virtually the same exact music you do. I love my Denon AH D1001's and my Grado SR60i's. Both are very easily driven by an iPod.

Like uncle Erik said, almost everybody overrates their need for blocking out sound when they first start on here. Really, the bigger issues with whether or not Grados are for you is whether or not you are going to be listening in a very quiet environment with other people who may be annoyed by hearing your music. If that's the case I'd highly recommend the Denon AH D1001's. They don't let out much music, at normal listening levels, but let in loud noises. Loud noises tend to be important noises.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 18
Budget 2 bills and down. I like music to sound good. I have Klipsch speakers for home stereo that are about 10 years old and I love their sound if that helps. I was looking at audio technica m-50's or 700's, just because of price point , but haven't had a chance to hear them yet. Hard to find them in Chicago area. Again any comments are welcome. Current headphones are v moda vibes that I've had for a long while with no complaints.

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 18
Uncle_Eric is wise. I agree. Unless bass response or isolation is of paramount importance, open cans are the preferred choice of a lot of folks. The illusion of space (soundstage) is more realistic with open headphones and I find them less fatiguing on longer listening sessions.

Grado's are extremely popular but at the same time pretty polar. Some wouldn't give a Fig Newton for Grado's flagship, so you should listen before buying if possible. Personally my experience with the Grado line is limited, but I was very surprised at how little difference there was between the $69 SR60 and the $200 SR225. Some hear a big difference but to me it was pretty small. All I want to suggest is that, within the Prestige Series, diminishing returns is high in my opinion.

Grado's are funky looking and the bowl pads are something only you can decide if you can live with, but they have a lot to offer and can be driven relatively easily.

Welcome, and best wishes to you in all things audio.

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #14 of 18
So, because I'm runnin an ipod I should look for low ohms? Listened to beyer dt 770 and again felt the ipod couldn't move them. Listened to the m-50's from audio tech and liked them more then the senn 380. Can't find the denon 1001 anywhere. Any love for the audio tech a 700 closed. Thanks again all responses have been a big help. Also can't find a place for grado's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back