HELP setting up new living room apartment!
May 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #16 of 50

The one I posted the link to the sale on Music Direct above.

Generally, yes, since any neutral DAC working with a neutral amp (that won't distort with the given speaker, more on this later) is what's necessary, except look at the links to Music Direct that I posted above. I posted a Direct Digital Amplifier - the NAD D3020. That means it takes a digital input, skips the usual DAC output stage (which is where coloration of the sound usually happens, and why the design is very critical) and amplifier input stage, and then goes directly to the amplifier output stage from the DAC. it has its own digital volume control system that doesn't use a conventional potentiometer, or at least that's how it is in the Wadia 151. Basically, the DAC and amplifier will be in a single, convenient, compact box that also does away with circuit parts that only get in the way or transparency unless you make a really good circuit but even then it will be larger.

The thing with that however is that the D3020 only makes 30wpc; that's at a very low THD rating so it could make quite a bit more power before you get to easily audible distortion levels. Still, I'm not sure if that's enough power for the Magnepans. There's the NuForce equivalent (forgot the model number already) but the downside is it's a purer Direct Digital Design - digital inputs only so that means you can't use a TT with it, and no subwoofer preamp either.

So will the NAD D3020 , be the only component I would need?
Do I still need to get a receiver or DAC?

Also, if I get my turntable, will I need a separate DAC and phono preamp?

May 10, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #20 of 50
I did some more research and found these.

Magnepan MMG
Focal Chorus 806V
Wharfedale Diamond 220 Speakers
Audioengine A5+
Audioengine P4
BIC Acoustech PL-89 Speakers

PLEASE any recommendations out of these speakers or others for a decently sized living room would be loved!

Also, it would be great if you could share what components (such as DACs, amps, etc.) would be good for the speaker.

Thank you in advance!

May 10, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #21 of 50
I'd suggest Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 speakers - $400 MSRP. Use the rest for a pair of decent stands.

The NAD suggestion is very good; you'll have amplification and a DAC.

Turntable: Rega RP1 and Musical Fidelity V90-LPS phono stage.

FYI, there is no individual in the universe who can look at a diagram of a room and predict what it will sound like. Impossible. Good luck.

May 10, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #22 of 50
I'd suggest Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45 speakers - $400 MSRP. Use the rest for a pair of decent stands.

The NAD suggestion is very good; you'll have amplification and a DAC.

Turntable: Rega RP1 and Musical Fidelity V90-LPS phono stage.

FYI, there is no individual in the universe who can look at a diagram of a room and predict what it will sound like. Impossible. Good luck.

Thank you so much for your suggestion!

Just curious, why do you suggest the Studio Monitor 45 speakers over the MMGs?

Also, what do you think about the NAD C 356BEE/Schitt BiFrost DAC stack?

May 10, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #23 of 50
Thank you so much for your suggestion!

The MMGs are a bear to drive - you'll need a big amplifier to get any sense of dynamics and they still won't be hopping - they have virtually no bass, no real highs, they sound distant with a subdued presentation of detail. The DefTechs are an almost exact opposite: room-filling, dynamic, detailed, with great bass for a speaker of that size and price point, and a very pleasing tonal balance.

Also, what do you think about the [COLOR=222222]NAD C 356BEE/Schitt BiFrost DAC stack?[/COLOR]

The NAD is a very nice piece. IIRC, it can be had with a DAC for a nominal fee. I haven't heard the BiFrost. It could sound great. The two Schiitt products I've had in my system, one of which I unfortunately own (a Modi), left me wildly unimpressed.

May 10, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #24 of 50
  DACs are digital-to-analog converters. You don't need a DAC if your source is a turntable.

If you go back to the first page, he was planning on using AirPlay plus a TT, at which point I suggested a direct digital amplifier and some other way to get lossless audio into that.

Whoops, forgot about that.
So, to re-ask the question, will I need a separate phono preamp and another amp for the turntable?

You'll need a separate phono preamp, unless you use one of those huge integrated amplifiers that have one built in. Note though that just because one of the dozen inputs on those older units are labelled "TT" it does not automatically mean that it has an actual phono preamp built into it - half the time it's just a label so you know what it is you're selecting.

Good, neutral response, and they likely will not be as affected by room size.

Also, what do you think about the NAD C 356BEE/Schitt BiFrost DAC stack?

Why get the Bifrost? The 356BEE can take a DAC module into its chassis, you can even order it included and then have it swapped out later - kind of like ordering a Bifrost with USB, then when technology improves you send it back to Schiit and they can install the new module. Saves you the trouble of using analog interconnects that might EQ the sound. Also, that's one box less out there - I think it can even take a built-in phono.

True, but I need to "see" what the room looks like to suggest where best to set it up. A lot easier to mark a diagram than just tell him just list what to make sure of like not putting one side near a wall while the other side is flanked by effectively open space. At the same time if one knows the shape then it's easier to get a general idea of how far he can sit, so we can get an idea whether it might be better to just get 2-way nearfield or if it's worth trying out a 3-way multiple-driver tower. No one can "predict" sound, but better to start by anticipating likely issues rather than buy and try then sell to 
buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try then sell to buy and try...not that it totally would not happen, but at least minimize the likelihood of it like when one buys speakers that needs a larger room.

May 10, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #27 of 50

ProtegeManiac, would you also recommend the Studio Monitor 45 speakers over the MMGs??
Or do you still stick to the Focals?

I only answered your prior question based on what the SM45's are known for, but that said I haven't heard them. I'd say it's a toss-up if I trust the reviews, but if I'm buying right now for myself, I'd go with the Focals, because at least I've actually heard them.

May 10, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #28 of 50

I only answered your prior question based on what the SM45's are known for, but that said I haven't heard them. I'd say it's a toss-up if I trust the reviews, but if I'm buying right now for myself, I'd go with the Focals, because at least I've actually heard them.

If I primarily listen to pop, Kpop, ballad, indie, jazz, and EDM (electro dance music), watch TV shows and movies, you would still recommend the Focals over the MMGs right? (Just want to ask again.. sorry if its repetitive) 

May 11, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #29 of 50
Focus your budget on speakers more so than electronics, as that will give you the best bang for the buck in sound quality. Better to get the best $1500 speakers and a $500 receiver, than the best $1000 speakers and a $1000 amp.

In addition to being a big difficult to drive, Magnepans are considered to be finicky about placement. I think you might do better with the Focal Chorus that were recommended or a pair of these Philharmonitors or Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1s.

If you ever want to expand your setup with additional speakers for watching movies or blu-ray music concerts, then an audio video receiver would be the best choice. Not only for it's ability to power a center and surrounds, but also because of the bass management (if you ever add a sub) and the built in room correction software (I recommend Denon, Marantz or Onkyo for Audyssey room EQ). Then there are additional convenience features like music streaming capability, remote management via android or ios, bluetooth, etc. AVRs are often a better price/performance value than integrated amps because they are the more competitive area of the market. Previous year Denon models tend to go on sale spring/summer as the new models come out, so you can get excellent deals if you are patient.

With apartment living, a sub can often be a problem with neighbors. If you listen to music with deep sub bass (e.g., EDM or hip hop) or plan on using your setup to watch movies, tower speakers could be the way to go to give you extra low bass over bookshelf/monitor size speakers instead of adding a sub.

Finally, forget the Audioengine P4 speakers. There are better choices out there in that budget range (Chane A1rx-c, HSU HB-1, and Ascend CBM-170 SE). The P4's are only popular among people who know the Audioengine brand name and don't know about other options.

May 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #30 of 50
Oh, and be careful about reading too much into Definitive Technology speaker specs, such as the SM45s. DT has often been found to exaggerate the frequency response of their products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back