help setting up my cousin's turntable.???
Oct 7, 2007 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

88Chris

100+ Head-Fier
hello, trusty head-fi'ers.

my cousin bought a used pioneer PL-460 turntable and 2 really big pioneer speakers, at a garage sale, today. and he wanted me to help him set it up. he isn't anything close to an audiophile, so i'm giving him my old koss 5.1 receiver. i've got the speakers hooked up to it, and they sound good when playing a cd. but when i hook the turntable up to it, i can only hear the right side and even at max volume, it's too quiet to listen to. also there's a strange buzzing sound.

any help would be appreciated.
-Chris

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:09 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Chris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, trusty head-fi'ers.

my cousin bought a used pioneer PL-460 turntable and 2 really big pioneer speakers, at a garage sale, today. and he wanted me to help him set it up. he isn't anything close to an audiophile, so i'm giving him my old koss 5.1 receiver. i've got the speakers hooked up to it, and they sound good when playing a cd. but when i hook the turntable up to it, i can only hear the right side and even at max volume, it's too quiet to listen to. also there's a strange buzzing sound.

any help would be appreciated.
-Chris

1) The receiver does has a dedicated phono input ? - you cannot just use Aux or CD inputs
2) Swap channels - does the sound move to the other channel
3) Buzzing probably means a ground issue - is the ground cord connected
4) Check the wiring on the cartridge - are all 4 wires firmly connected ?

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 18
From your description I would say that you need to get a turntable phono amplifier. I hazard a guess that the amplifier you are using has not got a PHONO input on the back? If it hasn't then you'll need an external one. There are some cheap ones on eBay, and I guess you are just wetting your feet with vinyl? If it is more serious then give a rough idea of the available funds you are able to spare for a phono pre-amp.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 18
it's my cousin's stuff. i'm just setting it up for him. i honestly don't know anythng about turntables or what a phono input is.
i'll try the things hciman said.

how can i tell if the turntable has a phono input on the back?. i don't think my cousin is into the idea of buy anything else. he just bought this stuff cause it was cheap.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 18
the outputs on the back of the turntable look like this. what's that thing in the middle for?

TurntablePhonoLeadmainimage.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 18
That is a ground.

If his receiver does not have a built in phono stage, the turntable will not work/sound right. Look to see if there an option for "phono" on the front source options or if there is a set of rca inputs on the back labeled phono. If not you will need a separate phono preamp.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 18
The thing in the middle is a ground, or earth, wire. It needs to be connected to a corresponding earth terminal on the receiver, which should get rid of the hum. Don't ask me why, but I'm sure someone could explain!

Sounds more and more like you're lacking a phono input. Time to go phono stage shopping; someone more learned and experienced will be along shortly to guide you through this process, I have no doubt.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 18
Oct 8, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 18
Call your local store
wink.gif
, but I'd imagine they'd have that in stock at the store.

Oct 10, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

after calling a few radioshack's in the area, they don't have any in stock. but one of them has one for $100. i don't want to spend that much right now, so i passed.

You can also look for a vintage receiver or preamp locally. Most of them have built-in phono stage (Input). They sound nice, too. In my first vinyl rig, I used a Marantz receiver which I paid $75, locally. If you can find Marantz or NAD receiver/preamp, you might also enjoy their very descent headphone output.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

after calling a few radioshack's in the area, they don't have any in stock. but one of them has one for $100. i don't want to spend that much right now, so i passed.

They are $30 on the Radio shack website. I'd say order it off line and wait the 5-7 days. Pocket the $70 save (minus shipping for the phono pre amp) for other audio equipment
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back