Help!!! :( Serious DC Offset with Pimeta
Apr 12, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #16 of 42
I'm pretty sure you used rosin-core solder, the rosin is the flux. If I'm wrong I have no idea what's all over your board, just clean it off.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
SubRosa: I'm not using flux, as for the cold joints, I'll see what I can do about fixing them, but damn it's a pain in the ass to redo all of them.

The flux is in your solder...it's that sticky stuff all around your solder joints.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 42
Oh ****, my bad, I am using rosin core solder, but just curious... how do I remove the flux?
confused.gif

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 42
I use isopropyl alcohol and an old toothbrush.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #21 of 42
Isopropyl Alcohol is commonly known as "Rubbing Alcohol", it's an antiseptic, you should be able to find it in your bathroom.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #22 of 42
This sounds like a bad chip to me.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #24 of 42
Iodine should work fine. Do not use antifreeze.

Also, I may have looked over it but do any of the op-amps or buffers get hot when you turn the Pimeta on?

Apr 12, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
This sounds like a bad chip to me.

It takes alot more to kill these chips
tongue.gif

You should redo those cold joints.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #28 of 42
Either buy some flux or just add more solder when you're trying to reflow those joints.

Apr 12, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel
I've tried reding the cold joints... and guess what, I get more cold joints, not sure exactly why, but 2 seconds after lifting iron, joint turns dull. Maybe soldering iron is crap (saving face).

Guess I'll have to redo the joint completly, as in get rid of old solder instead of just reheating it.

That's the problem. A cold joint usually means that you burnt off all the flux in the solder joint. Simply reheating a solder joint will make it cold and dull if you heat it long enough. Adding more flux into the joint will make it shiny again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back