help selecting a portable headphone amp
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tmaertin

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to head-fi and quality portable audio, so I appreciate your patience in what may seem like some "dumb" questions.

I am looking for a quality portable amp that I can use at work and when I travel for work by plane/train. I was looking to spend below $100 to start - and move up later on. I have been reading through the forum and noticed sometimes (depending on the source/amp/headphones) that an amp truly is not worth adding, while sometimes it can make a big difference.

The amp will be driving Audio Technica ESW9's and WS-50's...I listen to most music on the ESW9's and occasionally use the WS-50's if I am listening to more bass heavy music. My source for the most part will be my Motorola Droid Razr Maxx phone. I store some music on my phone and the rest I play off Google Music.

I was looking at the Fiio E6 and E11, but am open to any suggestions as well, especially if someone has used it with the ESW9's.

Thank you all for your help and advice

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 6
If you are using the headphone output on the phone then I wouldn't bother, it will just sound worse, louder, but worse.
Others will disagree

The ESW9s are great and deserve something better than a $100 amp - such a revealing can will
only show the limitations of the source and amp

does the Motorola have a line out or digital out?

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you for your reply KT66. I agree that the esw9's would not be done proper by an inferior amp.

I admit they already sound like heaven without an amp. Its just one of those things where you wonder if your missing something without it?

I am using the headphone out. The moto does have an HDMI out but I am not sure if music will go through it. No line out or digital out unfortunately.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Hi   Please can u give me some advice re PHA.....    I am using a Ipod Classic 5G (wolfson audio chip).I am thinking of running some Denon ADH7000 or the new D7100 with an appropriate amp.  However i will mainly use the Denons with my HiFi /cinema setup . This comprises of Marantz 6004 CD player and an Onkyo 808 AV receicer,  the speakers are Monitor Audio Silver package......  

Is there a PHA that will do both??? or do i have to buy a separate HA for my HiFi ,  and if so What will sound best ...for around £500 ish .

oh and pref an amp that i can use (and will sound great) with other cans too please ...

Thanks ... 

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
ps ...  need the products to work with UK headphones too ... so dif to get demo ... anyone know were i can demo most of the top amps and headphones near Warrington England pppplease ... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back