HELP!!!!...Restoring a dead Sansui AU-9500 vintage, questions about pots...
Jul 6, 2008 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Sovkiller

Proved that despite its huge size the CD3000 can be shoved down one's throat.
I have a close friend from my youth, that is trying to restore a vintage 1973 Sansui AU9500, one of the best amps of their line. He had basically two main problems, one is the pot, and the other is the balance control, both are busted, it seems that the contacts are cracked inside due to some abuse, we need to find a reliable source to order them, the pot is 250K (with four legs, for loudness feature) the balance control is 250 as well...he is in another country, not USA, so I have right now not too much info about the parts, given the lack of communication, all I know is that they look like this one pictured below, both of them:

7c7d_1.jpg

Any idea of where to get something similar? I'm not 100% sure if the ALPS RK27 will fit the space, also not sure if the are linear or logarithmic, so please any help from any experienced DIYer will be really appreciated, all we need is a link to order those two pots, or similar in shape and quality, IMO th original ones are nothing fancy as you can see by the pics...

I have also the schematic, but it has no values at all, just parts numbers...

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 14
Nobody guys???

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 14
Farnell looks to stock what you are looking for;

Search for "TYCO ELECTRONICS — POTENTIOMETER"

The don't seem to have 250k but the do have a 220k, and 100k pots.

Most pots used for audio are "Log" types

I assume other places will also sell these pots.

I know Alps makes a pot of this quality but if it is an alps pot it would be stamped on there somewhere.

Hope this helps you and your friend
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 14
That "B" in the name might indicate it's a linear pot though. I would measure it to be sure

And this is most probably the Alps pot ~n00beR meant , so you can see clearly if the original was one it should be easily identifiable

Jul 7, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks Guys for the replies...

But this one has two sets of tabs on each part of the pot, I'm sure the original one IIRC from my memory has only one set for each channel....Any other manufacturer that could make them nowdays in a similar shape???

Jul 20, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by danr2121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried cleaning them first with DeOxit or similar contact cleaner? THis has done wonders on some of my vintage receivers.

From the very first post:

"...it seems that the contacts are cracked inside due to some abuse..."

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 14
If that's a volume control, it's logarithmic, or sometimes called a stereo or audio taper. A 100k value is an easy find. Here are six for $5:

6 Pcs 100K Audio Dual Stereo Potentiometer Pots - eBay (item 220214536960 end time Aug-16-08 06:58:08 PDT)

Here are balance controls:

6,.Dual 250K Blend/Balance Pickups Pot Potentiometer DP - eBay (item 220206304959 end time Jul-25-08 09:35:34 PDT)

Those should fit, but you might want to nose around Mouser, Digikey and Antique Electronic Supply.

Pay attention to the size of the mounting hole which goes through the faceplate. Also pay attention to the size of the shaft the knobs mount to and how they mount. Some knobs are press on, some need a "D" shape shaft and some knobs have set screws in the side. Be sure you match up the right kind.

If you can fit an ALPS for the volume control, go for it. Those are reasonable and sound great.

Good luck and post pics if you can!

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 14
Both of the pots are identical?
Most balance pots should have a center-detent, where there is no bias towards either channel.
Take a look here, 1/3 down the page for a dual blend/balance pot.

As for the volume pot, you just need a 100k logarithmic pot that fits the space. The rk27 would be nice, but there are many smaller ones that should work well as a replacement.

edit- heh, Erik beat me to it, and his link looks better. =P

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #11 of 14
Thanks guys for the links, BTW the volume pot is far more complicated of the one on that picture, this picture was from eBay and apparently the guy has no clue of what was selling, and it was listed as for that amp while indeed the pot for that amp has four legs, one is for the loudness....I managed to get one RK27 old with 4 legs, from a guy in China, I do not care if it is fake as the four leg Alps are no longer in production...
biggrin.gif
....as per the balance Michael Percy has a Nobel pot listed that is similar, but they are on vacation till monday, waiting for the reply, otherwise will go for one of those cheap ones and period...

Jul 20, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....Michael Percy has a Nobel pot listed that is similar, but they are on vacation till monday, waiting for the reply, otherwise will go for one of those cheap ones and period...

Percy is good, but he's swamped and you usually have to hit him up several times for an invoice. In the e-mail subject line, put something like "second/third/etc. request for invoice." When he does get an invoice to you, the transaction will be fast and accurate. It's worth a little trouble, he has great stuff.

Jul 20, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ingwe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
audiokarma site has people who can help you with vintage sansui.

Trust me that I had emailed all the sansui restoration big guys, they have nothing for that oldie, my only luck will be if I found a current or more updateded substitution for those two pots...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back