Help! Replacing Q-Jays
Jan 12, 2010 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

killajoules

New Head-Fier
Hi!

Great forum and loads of info. I was hoping someone might be able to advise on my particular situation...

Based on various posts and reviews I bought a pair of Q-Jays to use on 2nd gen shuffle. Regretably I left them on an airplane and now need a replacement, but thinking there might be a better pair of phones out there for me.

What I liked about the Q-Jays
*Small and light - great for gym
*Short cord - great for clipping the shuffle to the top of my shirt without a weighty, dangling chord.
*Pretty good fit - after a lot of trial and error I got good results with the foam tips.
*Great sound - though I would prefer something that was more on the bass-y side and perhaps even a bit louder.
*Seemed pretty robust though I only had them a few months.

What I didnt like about the Q-Jays
*A bit of a pain to put them in properly - this may be the case with all noise cancelling phones though. No biggy.
*Prefer more bass. (Was able to adjust eq of iphone and was v happy with results but these phones will be used mostly at the gym).

other info
Mostly listen to hip-hop, some dance.
Most music is 320/256AAC
Budget up to $300
Phones are likely to get a little sweaty - need something that can handle this
Really like the option of a short chord with extender
Not an audiophile - I really enjoyed listening to the new sounds that the Q-Jays provided but decided that the realistic sound was not what I enjoyed - ie want something warmer and bassier.

All suggestion welcomed and appreciated!!

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 13
^ I only know about EU dealers, someone from your part of the world should step in. Just watch out for fakes, anything suspiciously cheap ist most likely fake.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 13
thanks though aussie prices seem really expensive - think i'll get a better price ordering from overseas. amazon quotes US$300 - i think that will be the way to go. btw whats the IE8's like to use when sleeping ie are they comfortable with head on pillow?! cheers!

Jan 17, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 13
^ Look good too but I like the idea of the extra bass on offer from the ie8s... which pair would be louder on the shuffle? also any aussies on this forum? where do you order your phones from? cheers

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 13
Killajoules,

I used q-jays for years at the gym and loved them. But, ultimately I found the Ety4s to have a better sound and isolation, especially with the new iBasso T3 amp. They are more neutral compared to what I found to be the slight warmth of the q-jays, but can handle anything. Also, my gym is noisy and isolation is very important to me. The shure olives with the Ety4s provided superior isolation. They also hold up well to the sweat!

Nov 6, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Oh no!!!

So I got the IE8s and LOVED them - hard to seat them right in one ear but other than fantastic...

And guess what?  Yes I left them on the plane again... Unbelievable!
Anyway, I'm revisiting earlier posts for some other (cheaper) options as I dont deserve super nice headies with my recent track record 
confused_face.gif

Any ideas for up to $200?

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back