Help, replacement for KSC35 :-(
Aug 10, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #16 of 41
i agree on some cables being too stiff and heavy. canare mini starquad is one of those cables that i think is too stiff for the light ksc35. i think mogami would be a good alternative since they tend to be more flexible than the starquad. while you're at it, solder in a 75ohm resistor between the two pads. i've noticed that it helps to tighten up the bass.

Aug 10, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by DobsOnly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of suggestions to recable them. I've built a couple amps so I guess I could do that without to much trouble. Then I'll have a backup if the others come through.
wink.gif

The recabling threads I've read talk about the new cables being to stiff and heavy. I was thinking about trying it with CAT5 before reading that. I guess I'll try and hunt down some soft 26 guage wire.

All of these Yuin buds seem like they get good reviews. The hard part is trying to figure out if the cost of each of the higher priced models is worth the extra $30 to $100. I've got a VibeZ to drive them with so I doubt power will be an issue for any of them. Cmoy and Pimeta setting here if I need them.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas...

What my ears tell me is that the extra money that the higher models cost are well worth it. The Pk1 NEEDS an amp. The Pk2 and 3 don't. The Pk3's are bassier than the Pk2, and the Pk2 does everything better than the Pk3, and the Pk1 wipes the floor especially with an amp.

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #18 of 41
Hmm... are those Yuin earbuds really that good? That may be just the ticket for my portable needs...

I would be using them unamped, what would sound better, the pk2 or pk1?

I would be using them with my sony d-ne330 pcdp, which has a 15mW headphone jack which is quite beefy compared to other stock jacks.

Aug 10, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #19 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Go to Koss's website: http://www.koss.com
2. Paste this into your address bar:
Quote:
javascript:LaunchBWindow('/koss/baskets.nsf/(05Add+to+BasketN)?openagent&ID=KSC35')
3. Hit enter.
4. You should now see a pop-up showing a pair of KSC35's in your cart priced at $29.99.
5. Use code ANNIVERSARY for another 20% off your order.
6. Checkout and enjoy!

NOTE: This may not work.

So far, so good. Got an e-mail from Koss saying my order for a KSC35 has been shipped
biggrin.gif

I'm still working the wife for a set of PK1's though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #20 of 41
Thanks PeterDLai,

What a great technique. I tried this and yes it did add the KSC35 to my shopping cart. But unfortunately I'm in Australia, and Koss wont let me do online shopping. (Online orders must be placed using a US address)

Still the best exercise headphone IMHO.

What else have other people tried? Senn PX100? Shure E2c?

I really don't like the idea of headband concept...

regards,
Thanh.

Aug 11, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... are those Yuin earbuds really that good? That may be just the ticket for my portable needs...

I would be using them unamped, what would sound better, the pk2 or pk1?

I would be using them with my sony d-ne330 pcdp, which has a 15mW headphone jack which is quite beefy compared to other stock jacks.

IMO it would do the PK1 no justice to be using it unamped. The Pk2's are exactly for that - unamped use.

Aug 11, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO it would do the PK1 no justice to be using it unamped. The Pk2's are exactly for that - unamped use.

I hear what you are saying.

But I always think about many people saying something similar about the HD600 when I bought it. "You have to have a good source and very good amp". "No justice" is really Ok. Bad sound is another issue all together. It really would have been ashame to miss out on what the HD600 has to offer even though I still don't have a source and amp that will push it to its full potential. IMHO the ability of a headphone to scale up with the other equipment in the chain is a tribute to its quality.

I would like to get opinions on this. Does the PK1 without an amp sound worse some how than the PK2 when driven with a higher output DAP?

If I'm at my computer or in the house I am using my HF-1's or HD600's and Pimeta. The PK1 would have to be my at work can with a CMoy replacing my KSC75's. The KSC35's and KSC75's would be my work around the house, walking, riding the bike etc.

blink.gif
There, see how easy that is? I have created a need and the PK1 could fill it! This is the Head-Fi addiction at its best .

Thanks for all the feedback!

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

So far, so good. Got an e-mail from Koss saying my order for a KSC35 has been shipped
biggrin.gif

I'm still working the wife for a set of PK1's though
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hard to believe but the KSC35's were at my house today. How fast is that!!!

Another great job by Koss...

Aug 11, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 41
Quote:

I hear what you are saying.

But I always think about many people saying something similar about the HD600 when I bought it. "You have to have a good source and very good amp". "No justice" is really Ok. Bad sound is another issue all together. It really would have been ashame to miss out on what the HD600 has to offer even though I still don't have a source and amp that will push it to its full potential. IMHO the ability of a headphone to scale up with the other equipment in the chain is a tribute to its quality.

I would like to get opinions on this. Does the PK1 without an amp sound worse some how than the PK2 when driven with a higher output DAP?

If I'm at my computer or in the house I am using my HF-1's or HD600's and Pimeta. The PK1 would have to be my at work can with a CMoy replacing my KSC75's. The KSC35's and KSC75's would be my work around the house, walking, riding the bike etc.

blink.gif
There, see how easy that is? I have created a need and the PK1 could fill it! This is the Head-Fi addiction at its best .

Thanks for all the feedback!

I havn't heard them so i can't comment, but i did read someone saying that even unamped, they liked the sonic signature of the PK1 better than PK2. So maybe that means that the pk1 still sounds a bit better than pk2 unamped, but the difference doesn't really show itself until you amp them. i dont really know anything though
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep in mind my PCDP has a rather beefy output, 15mw.

And thats what everybody keep saying. But, does the PK1 sound worse than the PK2 unamped, or is it still better, but just not as good as it could be?

Finally, how much does the whole lineup of yuin earbuds cost and where can you get them?

Aug 12, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Keep in mind my PCDP has a rather beefy output, 15mw.

And thats what everybody keep saying. But, does the PK1 sound worse than the PK2 unamped, or is it still better, but just not as good as it could be?

Finally, how much does the whole lineup of yuin earbuds cost and where can you get them?

http://www.head-direct.com/products.php?m=5

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #28 of 41
Ok but how about the pk1 vs. pk2 both unamped? Even if the pk1 is not having full justice done, would it still sound better than the pk2? What is the general sound sig of the yuin earbuds like? how does it change between the 3?

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Ok but how about the pk1 vs. pk2 both unamped? Even if the pk1 is not having full justice done, would it still sound better than the pk2? What is the general sound sig of the yuin earbuds like? how does it change between the 3?

I spent a while with the PK-1/2/3s and the 1s are still slightly better then the 2s unamped, but amped theres no contest between the two

Aug 12, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

What is the general sound sig of the yuin earbuds like?

I'd be interested in this too. if they are aggressive, or neutral, or laid back, etc and if someone could compare them to another headphone, that would be helpful because everyone has a different idea of what neutral is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back